Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Johnson
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
I've read many forums talking about how uneven the game is. After a few plays (only playing as the Empire), I thought the same thing myself. The game is really fun, but having an outrageous win ratio between the Rebels and the Empire seemed like it would kill the game. It dawned on me at the end of a hopeless defeat, what myself, and many others might have been doing wrong. THE SPACE BATTLE!

The space battle needs to be the #1 focus of the Empire. You need to completely ignore the Luke/Vader battle (I'll explain in a moment) and waste no more than 2 turns defending Endor.

Heres my strategy:

•  FOCUS ON THE SPACE BATTLE!

•  When defending Endor, wait until the Rebels are about to cross into the “4” zone. You don't want to spend more than 2 turns defending Endor, and you want to make sure the last 2 “5” zones have a marker on them. (I wait until they actually cross into the 4’s).

•  Completely ignore the Luke/Vader battle. It would take you 4 turns, of perfect rolls, to defeat Luke, only to be rewarded with 4 extra turns. The pay off is not worth it. Plus, if you are aggressive enough with the space battle, the Rebels will lose track of the Luke/Vader battle as well.

•  Start the first few rounds off using the Death Star cards (I blow up the B-Wings first). I would make all 3 of my turns Death Star moves if available. (We also use a house rule for rolling with the Death Star. Roll the 2 dice as normal, 6’s are ALWAYS a hit, and a 4 & 5 are a hit, unless the other dice is a 1, then it cancels the 4 or 5)

SPACE BATTLE TACTICS

•  You want to try to take out the Falcon early game.

•  When spending a move action on the TIE Fighters, you want to make sure to do it in a way were you can move and attack. Just moving them is almost wasting a turn, unless its to group them, or surround them around the Death Star. (Example - Advance the outside ring TIE Fighters one space on the outer rings, there you have the choice of attacking 2 Rebel areas. Next turn move the Mid ring TIE Fighters to the outer section so they are grouped up with your outside group, and then you attack again. Now you were able to group the tie fighters, and attack twice.)

•  Try surrounding the Death Star with your TIE Fighters (And Executor) before Endor is lost.

•  If you leave gaps around the Death Star, make sure you at least have the mid areas blocked up so the Falcon and other ships cant move adjacent to it.

•  Be tactical with your Executor. You want to move it to the front lines early. Deploying TIE Fighters from it, and being able to attack a few adjacent areas is very helpful. (**Just be aware you might have to move it out quickly incase the Rebels focus their damage on it. If thats the case, move it to the back of the Death Star if its low.)

I’ve played with this strategy 3 times so far, and the game has been extremely balanced all 3 times. I’ve won twice as the Empire, and lost one, only to a lucky die roll (Rebels moved the Falcon adjacent to the Death Star and got lucky on the roll. The Falcon would have been destroyed next turn.)

Hope this helps!
Christian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your suggestions are appropriate.

It would be good to incentivise the Empire player to want play in all three battles; this requires variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Schelter
Canada
Bracebridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tod_13 wrote:
It would be good to incentivise the Empire player to want play in all three battles; this requires variants.

I tend to agree with this discussion.

Next question : Are there any variants that "incentivize the Empire player to want to play in all three battles", and that result in a (fairly) balanced win-loss ratio between the Empire and Rebel factions? (Assume the players both have "equal" skill)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Johnson
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
Shelter wrote:

Next question : Are there any variants that "incentivize the Empire player to want to play in all three battles", and that result in a (fairly) balanced win-loss ratio between the Empire and Rebel factions? (Assume the players both have "equal" skill)

A few variants that have come to mind when playing -

1. The Luke/Vader battle be more of a tug of war type mechanic. Maybe making the health of each one 8 or 9 Max. (Ex. Luke rolls 3 hits, he moves his green lightsaber to Vaders 3 health mark. Next turn, Vader rolls 2 hits, he moves lukes green lightsaber to Vaders 1 health mark. Vader is the next player to play a duel card, he rolls 3 hits, he removes Lukes green marker that is currently on Vaders 1 health mark, and placed the red lightsaber marker on Lukes 3 health marker. - Do this until the opponents marker reaches the 8 health mark, then the battle is over.. Maybe have the Vader logo (On Rebels card) be 2 free hits like the Emperor logo)

2. Let the Empire player to place reinforcements on any space on the Endor Battle

I havent tried any of these though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Hoffmann
Denmark
Birkerød
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Great post!

Why do you play with other Death Star hits? Does it change the chance or what?

Seems like Darth Vader and Luke should begin with less hit points for the duel to be worth the card investment. Where should they begin for you to bother with the duel?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barille
msg tools
Even the games we messed up and allowed the Death Star all 5 dice for rolls, the empire got trounced. There is alot that needs to be done for balance that is for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.