Sonar» Forums » General

Subject: delema rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
darthead cricketeer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
So i could get a copy of this for 25 bucks. Still debating on holding out for captain sonar to play with 4 players but also with more in real time too. So i just want to know what is the difference between this and captain sonar in turn by turn with 4 players? And would it be worth it for me to get this for 25 bucks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kvam
Norway
Hundeidvik
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Buy it and ship it to me for 45$?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kvam
Norway
Hundeidvik
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sonar is cheaper and designed for 2vs2, Capt.sonar is made for 8 player realtime. So for me it comes down to what im most interest in(8player realtime or 2vs2 turn based). I have not played capt.sonar but i think the realtime wont work with my group and also getting 8 people and the table space is a problem. So sonar looks more interesting. If you have 8 people playing and 2 copies of sonar i think you could play 4 teams in the same map wich i think would be much better than capt.sonar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Panik
United States
New Lothrop
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
You can essentially play Sonar with the Captain Sonar components. I'm going to get Captain Sonar to leave the option open for 8 player and play With the Sonar rules when I only have 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darthead cricketeer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Thank you paul. That was my thought too. Since you could play captain sonar in turn by turn mode then i was thinking it would alot like sonar except that sonar would be much lighter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crowle wrote:
Sonar is cheaper and designed for 2vs2, Capt.sonar is made for 8 player realtime. So for me it comes down to what im most interest in(8player realtime or 2vs2 turn based). I have not played capt.sonar but i think the realtime wont work with my group and also getting 8 people and the table space is a problem. So sonar looks more interesting. If you have 8 people playing and 2 copies of sonar i think you could play 4 teams in the same map wich i think would be much better than capt.sonar.

The thing is, though, that Sonar literally looks to be a subset of Captain Sonar, in the sense that you can play Sonar using Captain Sonar components. So then getting Captain Sonar you have the option to play with 6 or 8 if you ever get the chance. Also, I've never played turn-based (because the fun in this game really is the real-time to me) but the simplification this game makes is removing the first mate and engineer, which are the 2 simplest roles, especially in turn based. Like you're talking of adding maybe 10-20 seconds into each turn to have them. And that's probably an overestimate. I really don't see Sonar being that much quicker than Captain Sonar, and certainly will be less interesting if the rules are as expected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kvam
Norway
Hundeidvik
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jjdelanoche wrote:

The thing is, though, that Sonar literally looks to be a subset of Captain Sonar, in the sense that you can play Sonar using Captain Sonar components. So then getting Captain Sonar you have the option to play with 6 or 8 if you ever get the chance. Also, I've never played turn-based (because the fun in this game really is the real-time to me) but the simplification this game makes is removing the first mate and engineer, which are the 2 simplest roles, especially in turn based. Like you're talking of adding maybe 10-20 seconds into each turn to have them. And that's probably an overestimate. I really don't see Sonar being that much quicker than Captain Sonar, and certainly will be less interesting if the rules are as expected.
But how well does playing capt.sonar 4 player the same way as sonar work.
Im a little sceptical in how well it would work. Have anyone tried it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crowle wrote:
Jjdelanoche wrote:

But how well does playing capt.sonar 4 player the same way as sonar work.
Im a little sceptical in how well it would work. Have anyone tried it?

I'm sorry but I don't understand your question. If you're asking, how well can you play Sonar with Captain Sonar components, then without a rule book it's impossible to answer properly, but it would seem that you just need some way of recording charges, which you can just do it in the notes section of the captain sheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darthead cricketeer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I guess i should just ask what is the difference between sonar and captain sonar with captain sonar being played in turn by turn mode and besides the fewer players in sonar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Treebeard
United States
Joshua
Texas
flag msg tools
I Design Broken Token Game Inserts
badge
I Design Broken Token Game Inserts
mbmbmbmbmb
In captain sonar 4 player each person is manning two stations or radio is doing their job and the other player is manning the other three stations.

In Sonar the captin is maneuvering the sub and charging the batteries to use sonar, silent or torpedoes and the radio operator is tracking the other ship.

You cannot play Sonar with the Captain Sonar boards. They redesigned the player mats to make it a simpler faster game. Here are the Sonar player boards:

Here is the best Captain Sonar board picture I could find:

I own both games and have played Captain Sonar five or six times with 8 players, once with 2 players, and once with 4 players. I have now played Sonar once with 4 players and will always use it for the two or four player games. The new system is so streamlined that it mimics the real time since turns are very quick. I still love the original game and it will still see play at the higher player count.

I am keeping both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.