Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is anyone opening games that way and keeps the shrink on the remaining 5 sides of the box? I opened a NIS game today by only cutting out the bottom part of the shrink wrap. I wanted to see if it would hold and it does.

I'm not sure if there is a big benefit in doing it though. Shrink on 5 sides protects from shelf-wear to some degree but in my experience most of the shelf-wear affects the bottom of the box anyway (especially when storing games horizontally and from moving the box on the table).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy crap!

I use a knife to gently cut the shrink as I assume you are doing, but just to keep from stretching and tearing it and maybe harming the box. After that, cellophane, meet Mr. Garbage Can.

It's gonna be ogled, pawed, inventoried, played, and shelf worn, but still complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bltzlfsk wrote:
Holy crap!

I use a knife to gently cut the shrink as I assume you are doing, but just to keep from stretching and tearing it and maybe harming the box. After that, cellophane, meet Mr. Garbage Can.

They way I did was to use a box cutter for the first cut and from there use scissors to glide along the 4 bottom edges. I opted for the scissors because a box cutter could cut into the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
(watch this space)
badge
Does changing the text here count towards "Change Your Avatar" day?
mbmbmb

More importantly, can I buy a vinyl sleeve that will fit over the shrink plastic?

I find that the edges of the shrink stuff (where I've carefully cut it) tends to
fray and rip, and eventually it falls off the box cover anyway ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
get off of the computer.
badge
play the games you have.
mb
I just saran wrap all of my games and each individual component-- that way nothing ever shows any wear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, but I sometimes remove the shrink wrap off only one end of the box, reinforce the rest with clear packing tape, and use the shrink as a sort of game sleeve.

Pete (does this to keep the game tightly closed when upright on a shelf, not for preservation purposes)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you do this while sitting on your plastic covered couch?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Rose
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That made me smile...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:
Do you do this while sitting on your plastic covered couch?

Naw, I just spray varnished it instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moray Johnson
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People actually would cut the shrink of their games? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
infi01 wrote:
Is anyone opening games that way and keeps the shrink on the remaining 5 sides of the box? I opened a NIS game today by only cutting out the bottom part of the shrink wrap. I wanted to see if it would hold and it does.

I'm not sure if there is a big benefit in doing it though. Shrink on 5 sides protects from shelf-wear to some degree but in my experience most of the shelf-wear affects the bottom of the box anyway (especially when storing games horizontally and from moving the box on the table).

My wife prefers to do this (and leave all protective films on products she buys if she can). Our results are mixed. Maybe a couple of games survive with shrink on the box lid, but most fall apart right away or within a couple of plays.

Yes, people will mock you a lot - just as in this thread. It seems if you don't do something the way they do, or if you don't treat your games as a purely consumable object with no purpose except to play, they will be snarky... and then you snark back about how "if games are all about playing them, then why are you such component snobs?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
Check me out on Instagram: @WisdomForWizards
badge
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't something I do. Seems to me it wouldn't hold very long if you play the game often. To each their own though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Banner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
No, but I sometimes remove the shrink wrap off only one end of the box, reinforce the rest with clear packing tape, and use the shrink as a sort of game sleeve.

Pete (does this to keep the game tightly closed when upright on a shelf, not for preservation purposes)

Ooh, I like this. Unless the shelf is completely full, some boxes (especially the thinner ones) can come open. Thanks for this idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verbosity wrote:
My wife prefers to do this (and leave all protective films on products she buys if she can). Our results are mixed. Maybe a couple of games survive with shrink on the box lid, but most fall apart right away or within a couple of plays.

Yes, people will mock you a lot - just as in this thread. It seems if you don't do something the way they do, or if you don't treat your games as a purely consumable object with no purpose except to play, they will be snarky... and then you snark back about how "if games are all about playing them, then why are you such component snobs?"

Thanks for this helpful reply. I strive to keep my collection in near-mint condition, so I treat my games with more care than most people. I keep optimal humidity in the room, sleeve cards, wash hands before playing, etc. Because of that people who buy from me or trade with me couldn't be happier with the condition of my games and books because everything is near mint. The shrink idea was just an experiment, but it's disappointing to see how many people on BGG choose sarcasm over constructive feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Daddona
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Moooooo!
mbmbmbmbmb
infi01 wrote:

After I do this, I make all my guests play the game in hazmat suits. Finger/body oil, even on sleeves, will cause disintegration after several hundred years. I plan to play my games throughout the next millennium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

This is an excellent idea for those who store games vertically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Daddona
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Moooooo!
mbmbmbmbmb
infi01 wrote:
Verbosity wrote:

Thanks for this helpful reply. I strive to keep my collection in near-mint condition, so I treat my games with more care than most people. I keep optimal humidity in the room, sleeve cards, wash hands before playing, etc. The shrink idea was just an experiment, but It's disappointing to see how many people on BGG choose sarcasm over constructive feedback.

On a serious note, I purchased Manila from a guy who only cut the shrink from the bottom of the box. As a purchaser, I couldn't be happier! Great $15 buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:
I just saran wrap all of my games and each individual component-- that way nothing ever shows any wear.

I do this with valuable games I don't play and over the shrinkwrap of games I am selling, since some collectors are very concerned with the wear on the original wrap. Commercial versions of Saran Wrap (18" wide) work best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I could bring myself to do this because it would feel incomplete and not fully in my possession. My husband used to have a tendency to leave protective plastic coating on new electronics and stuff and it drove me crazy. I don't think he does it anymore, maybe because he knows how it bugs me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
infi01 wrote:
Thanks for this helpful reply. I strive to keep my collection in near-mint condition, so I treat my games with more care than most people. I keep optimal humidity in the room, sleeve cards, wash hands before playing, etc. Because of that people who buy from me or trade with me couldn't be happier with the condition of my games and books because everything is near mint. The shrink idea was just an experiment, but it's disappointing to see how many people on BGG choose sarcasm over constructive feedback.

I regularly bring my games to Meetups and, after a few bumps in the trunk, any sort of protection is fine. I just bag games into plastic grocery bags, but shrink would work, too. Either might help the box from splitting.

Nowadays, boxes are *bleeping* coffee table books. And they're an expensive component in the box. It's part of the artwork of the game, and I'd like to keep it in good condition -- or at least have it not be the most worn out part of the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I take clear packing tape and run in around the box cover. Cut the bottom of the shrink wrap off and it protects the top and sides.

I've only had this come off on one game - New York Pizza because it's a strange box that opens from one side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy Love
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also leave the original shrink wrap on the box top. Some of the original shrink wrap is more durable than others so the cheap ones can tear over time. But, of course, I have a solution to that as well as for used games purchased... I cover them with clear gift wrap. Hallmark makes clear gift wrap paper so I cover whatever I need to with it. I don't care if people laugh or make fun of me... if they want to buy me a pristine box when the uncovered one gets scuffed and worn then I will stop protecting my boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Sachsen
flag msg tools
"The only thing you are going to see, is the burning hand of overdue justice." - Lobster Johnson
badge
“There are only three forms of high art: the symphony, the illustrated children's book and the board game.” - Saga
mbmbmbmbmb
I once read that keeping the boxes in shrink wrap is not ideal when you want to keep them for real long. The shrink wrap shrinks with time and the cardbox will not.
(This was said by a German collector with really old games. I do not know, if this does have any value for games that are played regularly and watched after.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cap'n Ginger
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
mbmbmbmbmb
jorl wrote:
I once read that keeping the boxes in shrink wrap is not ideal when you want to keep them for real long. The shrink wrap shrinks with time and the cardbox will not.
(This was said by a German collector with really old games. I do not know, if this does have any value for games that are played regularly and watched after.)

If you're keeping items in shrink wrap for a very very long time, you also need to consider whether the shrink wrap is acid free and/or archival quality. I suspect most mass-produced goods have non-archival shrink, and that will lead to degradation of paper products over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie A
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
A while back I saw an unboxing video that included the shrink/tape box sleeving and have done it myself some since then:

Seven Sisters - a kickstarter unboxing by the OCD Gamer

UPDT: clarifying to say, this video is the one I saw, it's not my video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.