Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I was recently re-reading the rules for this, and was reading the part about "step".

Here's a diagram to help:

The figure, before moving, is the black ring.

Previously I had thought that a Step means to move the figure so that it would have been in base contact with where it was before (the "red" ring).

However, upon reading it again, I'm getting the impression the blue ring is the intended one. The main reason for this is the discussion that if the base is bigger than distance S, to use distance S instead. If you were using the red ring method, this would actually be moving the larger unit FARTHER since instead of being next to where it was, it would be distance S away. Using the blue ring method, it would mean that a huge figure get more distance for a "step" than it would for a regular S move.

Just wanted to confirm this.

Basically, is the BLUE ring the correct way to move using a "step"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrea doesn't read this site - best to post it on the Yahoo group.

I've always used the red circle. I can see your reasoning, however, and you may be right. Certainly that would be consistent with measuring sticks. That is, if the red circle were a measuring stick, black to blue would be legal.

It's possible that using a base as if it were a mini measuring stick is what he meant, though as I say: we've never played it that way. In a game with rules this loose, I don't think it matters much: use whatever works for your group!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
omnicrondelicious
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always interpreted it as red or short, with the caveat of "whichever distance is shorter". Andrea is also very responsive on the SBH Facebook group if you want to ask and prefer that platform.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing is, for "red or short", red would always be shorter, since when measuring with the stick you will have a gap in between, but never with red.

I didn't realize there was a Yahoo group, I'll have to take a look, as well as the Facebook group

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
omnicrondelicious
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, right, of course - that makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gacy
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
The thing is, for "red or short", red would always be shorter, since when measuring with the stick you will have a gap in between, but never with red.

I didn't realize there was a Yahoo group, I'll have to take a look, as well as the Facebook group

Short would be shorter if the base was bigger than the short length, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amg100 wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

Short would be shorter if the base was bigger than the short length, correct?

Only if you use the blue ring as the "final" location.

If you use the red ring, it would always be shorter because there is no gap between where it was and where it is. The two locations are essentially touching. When you use the sticks (any length), there will always be a gap, since you leapfrog the gap.

I hope that makes sense. I can update my picture with an example of Red vs Blue vs Stick if that will help visually

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gacy
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right which is why it should be the blue circle!

Red is the result of a recoil. Blue is the result of a reduced short movement (unless the diameter is bigger than short). The fact that the rules state
Quote:
IN the rare cases where a model’s base is so oversized
to be larger than one Short measuring stick (e.g., some
huge elephants or dragons), the model’s step is one
Short measured from any part of the model's base.
to me indicates that Andrea meant a step was blue.
This could all be me misunderstanding the original question however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, I lean towards the "blue" circle interpretation now, but when I first read the rules, I had the impression it was the "red" one. I'll see if I can find the exact part of the rule that confused me when I get home later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gacy
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize I codified my interpretation into a tool I made. It is a four sided polygon with Small, Medium, Large and a 1 inch "Base" measurement, since I use tons of minis which are effectively the same size but have varying base widths. it's then nice to have a generic "base" to measure against
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.