Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Birdwise
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just purchased this game and started to punch out the cardboard components. There are quite a few to punch and a large quantity of small bags to put them into. The problem I ran into is that there is no guide at the front of the manuals to help you organize the tokens. There is a long list but no guide to indicate which token is which. This is Very annoying, particularly as the bags are very small and there are many different tokens.

I don't think the game production team put enough effort into helping new owners to organize all of the bits and pieces in this game.

And I have not even addressed the Rulebook issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought an organizer. I think it was meeplerealty, but could have been one of the others. That helped a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Smith
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went with Meeple Realty too and I'm awfully glad I did. Just a dumb-luck assumption that I'd like the game enough to warrant it but it did made the whole unpacking and first setup a breeze. Without that assist I doubt I've have gotten Arkwright ready to roll quite so quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Look in the setup for variants including solo, some of the hard to define tokens are described there (and only there).

I got a Plano box to organize mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galfridus wrote:
Look in the setup for variants including solo, some of the hard to define tokens are described there (and only there).

I got a Plano box to organize mine.

This. All your answers are in the variants section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Birdwise
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. I shall use a Plano box and look at the sections you indicated.

EDIT: One Plano 3620 was not enough. So I tried two. Both did not fit in the box as the Planos are too deep for the box to accommodate two 3620 Planos plus game boards and manuals.

So I used 1 Plano and 1 Dan Verssen Games (DVG) 4X5 = 20 compartments deep containers for the smaller lots. The box top sits about 1/4 inch above the bottom of the box. I keep them together using a woman's hair elastic band thingy (8 or 10 for $1.25 at Dollarama).

Next step: Learning what the various pieces are and how to play this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Birdwise
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just took several hours to try to identify all cardboard bits.

I have 10 cardboard bits to go. 4 are labelled "Domestic Sales", 4 are labelled "Shipment", and 2 do not have any text on them. I cannot see any pictures of these 10 items anywhere in the 3 manuals.

The two without text show a boat with a cube with a 6 in it, and a square grey box with a 25 in it.

Does anyone have any info on what these are?

Are these the Bonus Markers and Competition Award Markers?

If so where are they described in the manuals?

I have to say that the 3 Manuals are not very good and could use a re-write to make them user-friendly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Risthaus
Germany
Wolfsburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmix wrote:

I have 10 cardboard bits to go. 4 are labelled "Domestic Sales", 4 are labelled "Shipment", and 2 do not have any text on them. I cannot see any pictures of these 10 items anywhere in the 3 manuals.

The two without text show a boat with a cube with a 6 in it, and a square grey box with a 25 in it.

I have to say that the 3 Manuals are not very good and could use a re-write to make them user-friendly.

Yes, your assumption is correct. They are described in the Selfactor Variant. I do not have the game right here, but I think, it is at the end of the players book. They have been added lately and only for the second edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Check players book bottom of page 23.

Personally I found the rule books good with a couple (significant) exceptions:

1) Describing all the pieces, as this and other threads show. I personally would identify all of these hard to find items in both the relevant sections of the players book as well as the component guide in the other manuals. (People can be expected to start with Spinning Jenny rules and will want to ID components right away).

2) Event and development tiles are not in alphabetical order, requiring a lot of searching to look one up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Birdwise
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
REAL TIGRIS wrote:
Cosmix wrote:

Yes, your assumption is correct. They are described in the Selfactor Variant. I do not have the game right here, but I think, it is at the end of the players book. They have been added lately and only for the second edition.

Thank you for the info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Birdwise
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galfridus wrote:
Check players book bottom of page 23.

Personally I found the rule books good with a couple (significant) exceptions:

1) Describing all the pieces, as this and other threads show. I personally would identify all of these hard to find items in both the relevant sections of the players book as well as the component guide in the other manuals. (People can be expected to start with Spinning Jenny rules and will want to ID components right away).

2) Event and development tiles are not in alphabetical order, requiring a lot of searching to look one up.

There are so many different pieces that a picture and description guide is virtually a necessity for this game and the manuals completely overlook this. Play testing with new players would have identified this need, so either the producer/designer did not play test this game with new players or somebody ignored the need because it is an obvious need. The pictures that were included are spread throughout the manuals and do not include all components. The simple list provided in two of the manuals is not sufficient. The two lists appear to be identical, yet some components are not used in Spinning Janney so I wonder why they were included in that list.

If this game ever gets reprinted, the producer should include a component listing with pictures as well as provide a suggestion on how to organize the components because a dozen small baggies is woefully insufficient at best. Setup instructions should be at the front of the manual not buried inside it somewhere. Pictures should have captions and identifying descriptors with pointers/arrows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.