mbmbmbmbmb
Thing - Fantastic Four expansion

Fantastic Four

It Started on Yancy Street (5 copies)
Instinct
2+ Recruit
Fantastic Four: You get +2 Recruit.
Cost: 3
Yancy Street is Thing's turf. Trespass at your own risk.

Knuckle Sandwich (5 copies)
Strength
3 Recruit
0+ Attack
Focus 3 Recruit -> You get +2 Attack.
Cost: 5
Recipe prep time: 3 seconds. Serves: 20

Crime Stopper (3 copies)
Strength
4 Attack
Whenever you defeat a Villain in the Bank this turn, rescue a Bystander.
Focus 1 Recruit -> Move a Villain to an adjacent city space. If another Villain is already there, swap them.
Cost: 6

It's Clobberin' Time! (1 copy)
Strength
5+ Attack
Strength: You get +3 Attack for each other Strength card you played this turn.
Cost: 8
Thing doesn't wear a watch, but he's happy to tell you what time it is.

---------------

Thing is heavier on recruit than I would have imagined him as. His common Knuckle Sandwich can convert every three recruit into +2 fight, but you can't count on that for when you need the real big numbers to hit a strong Mastermind. His strong recruit power will however allow you to look elsewhere for more heavy hitting punch fairly quickly.

His uncommon Crime Stopper is very situational, but 4 fight for 6 cost is there if you need to beef up.

Ultimately, It's Clobberin' Time is a highly desirable 8 coster to be on the lookout for, which will make all those Knuckle Sandwiches really pay off. Its easily one of my favorite rare cards in the game, assuming you're building a strength focused deck. It can really lay a haymaker on any Mastermind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the Thing! Focus is such a great mechanism.

If you have a few of his commons you can make a lot of recruit and turn it into attack.

His uncommon is my least favorite but it does give you a good amount of attack.

His rare is great if you are focusing on strength cards. I've gotten into the teens many times with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
This is where expansions issue come into play. Honestly I wouldn't rush to buy recruit just so a card can turn it into attack (Unless negative zone is the scheme and frankly Silver Surfer does it better) because who knows when you'll draw that particular one.

However, if you are playing with Sidekicks and more importantly New Recruits, then you could be fine with a lot of recruit. Even if the ratio is smaller of 1/2 instead of 2/3, it's just a safer bet.

As for combos - Thing suffers greatly from being an F4 hero, it's a sub group that isn't likely to grow (it almost got extinct).

Heroes that work well with him are obviously:

Thor, since he also wants a lot of recruit and both have strength

Hulk which is the biggest str hero

Iron Fist who has strength and all of Thing's cards have different costs.

Beast (SW) & Captain Marvel - both have strength draw cards that increases his chains

As a bystander hero, he is pretty weak. To maximize him, you need lots of moving of villains around and then wiping them all out. After clearing the city, you're likely to get just 1 per turn.
Leaving aside power houses like Widow, Jean and Angel - Even Hawkeye does a better job at it.

So I wouldn't pick him for VP in league matches unless you are aiming for a real speedy victory in which out of the above, Captain Marvel will probably be your best bet as you can buy her cards quickly enough to make long chains till you get his rare.

His biggest advantage is that he is strength that gives recruit, which not a lot of cards give you that option. So if you're going for a strength build in the first place that is a good consideration.

Also, if you are in a strength setup (like earthquake or Loki) he is a good choice to buy at first since you want recruit the first couple of rounds more than attack.

Then continue with the other heroes and use his rare to truly smash.

Honestly Strength is my least favorite color in this game so I don't recall the cards that well. Probably others I'm forgetting that can combo that I'm forgetting. Off the top of my head possibly Juggernaught and his and Hulk's Fear itself versions? I'll never know those names.

Actually isn't Juggernaught mechanics that he works on cost 4 or something like that? Oddly enough Thing doesn't have any 4 cost cards but Invisible Woman is all about it. Man the F4 synergy is weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yancy Street is, on paper, one of the better recruiting cards in the game, at least if you have a F4 deck, but it's one that always makes me groan a little and hope it gets KOed in the HQ. Maybe it's that it's the lone non-Strength card in the deck and maybe it's that whenever I do end up using him there are other, better Recruit-generating cards to recruit.

Most likely it's that F4 trigger. If you're going to have a lot of F4-team cards you're already going to have a lot of Recruit-generating cards, even if most of them generate no more than 2 or so Recruit along with a Focus ability. And, if there's a mixed team, he's an Instinct Maria Hill on his first play unless you draw into a good first-play F4 card.

When it comes down to it, then, I'd basically always rather have the Human Torch's Call for Backup than Yancy, not to mention the other great Focus cards found in the rest of the team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Thing. His commons are both great: you get lots and lots of Recruit, and if you've got even one copy of Knuckle Sandwich, you can turn that Recruit into Attack as needed. His rare is just awesome.

Thing shines when you've got other FF heroes, as that makes Yancy Street more likely to pay off (otherwise, you'd better be the only one going for Thing cards). That's pretty obvious. He's also great when you need lots of Recruit and Attack: Hidden Witnesses, Nimrod/Elusive keyword... can't think of anything else. He combos very well with anyone else looking for Strength cards.

Thing can get frustrating if you don't have any KOing or hand sorting going on, as the starting cards turn his cards into very average affairs. You can say that for a lot of heroes, I guess, but it's pretty noticeable with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
He really should be the last Hero you play in a turn, especially in an F4 setup. Wait until you finish drawing into all your cards with Mr. Fantastic and then play Yancy, Crime Stopper, and Knuckle Sandwich.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
Actually isn't Juggernaught mechanics that he works on cost 4 or something like that? Oddly enough Thing doesn't have any 4 cost cards but Invisible Woman is all about it. Man the F4 synergy is weird.

4 or more is Jugg's thing. Very similar to Luke Cage from Noir.

Now I want to play Sue Storm and Luke Cage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have much more to say about his mechanics, they're decent. When randomising you're unlikely to have other FF Heroes around so I tend not to get Yancy Street unless there's a lot of his other cards around or I already have a Knuckle Sandwich or two.

My main comment for him though is that I think his art is disappointing. I generally quite like the art in this set (I know others don't), but I think his two commons particularly are a bit of a let down (the uncommon is ok, and the rare looks great). Knuckle Sandwich I just find too busy and a little sore on the eyes, and then for Yancy Street they go and put him in a trench coat, which is not an inspiring, ooh-I-want-that-Hero-in-my-deck look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a big fan of Thing (the card, not the hero -- love the hero). The problem I have is the expense. It Started on Yancy Street is affordable, but too hard to trigger and and doesn't itself trigger the other cards. Knuckle Sandwich is more useful, but the cost 5 may prevent me from getting it early when I most need to add recruit cards, and the 3->2 recruit/attack conversion isn't going to provide a lot of heft, by itself KS can be converted into a 2 attack card. Crime Stopper's 4 attack is always welcome, but the bystander generation is weak, and it's a pricy card to get. No complains about the rare (though again, it's expensive).

However, I tend to judge cards on the strength of their commons rather than the potential power of the rare. I can pretty much guarantee I'm going to see multiples of the common, but the rare may or may not never come up at all. And Thing's commons leave me cold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thing is a decent Hero, just not very exciting.

It Started on Yancy Street - A familiar style recruit. Obviously works better with more Fantastic Four Heroes. When playing with a bunch of FFers, this can fuel your Focus abilities. When not playing with other FF Heroes, more likely than not you'll just get 2 recruit.

Knuckle Sandwich - Not a big fan of the commons that give you 3 recruit for 5 cost, just because they can clog up the HQ pretty bad. Oh wait! This one can give you attack as well? While similar to Forge's "Overdrive" (3 versatile) it has both it's advantages and disadvantages. Like "Overdrive" it can be used for Recruit or Attack. It doesn't have quite as much Attack after you convert it through Focus, but with Focus you can perform that conversion as much as you want. This card can be good for turning the Recruit you don't need later in the game into attack.

Crime Stopper - Another 4 attack for 6 cost with an ability. This one allows you to maybe rescue a bystander. You can pay some recruit to try and get that to happen. Generally not really that useful. I guess it can combo with other cards that want enemies to be in specific spots, or not to be in there, like Patrol cards, and cards like "Golden Ankh of Konshuu". It's quite an expensive way to get there though, so not really that worth it.

It's Clobberin' Time - Fantastic rare if you're packing a bunch of Strength cards. Still not bad if you aren't. Compared to Hulk's "Hulk Smash" they both start at 5 attack. "Hulk Smash" goes straight to 10 with 1 strength Hero to activate. "It's Clobberin' Time" takes 2 strength Heroes to get it to 11. If you're playing with strength Heroes that net you extra cards, it can be huge though. Try combining this with Illuminati Beast, Groot, and Collosus & Wolverine are all strength heavy Heroes with different ways to add extra cards to your hand.

Overall - Steady and dependable just like his comic book self, Thing's cards are just lacking in any sort of "wow" factor. His uncommon, while not useless, is very boring for an uncommon compared to many other characters. Even though he isn't a bad pick, I'm just never excited to use him.

Summary: 3/5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Thing. Easily one of the best heroes in the games, especially if you add another Fantastic Four member to the mix.

It Started on Yancy Street: 2 recruit for 3 cost is standard. However, you can easily get to 4 recruit if you simply play another Fantastic Four card. One of the best recruit cards in the game.

Knuckle Sandwich: 3 recruit is great. It can allow you to buy some of the more expensive cards at the beginning of the game, and as the game progresses you can turn those recruit points into sweet attack points necessary for a good clobberin' of the masterminds. And it's a common card too! Play 2 copies of his other common and then Knuckle Sandwich and then you end up with 9 recruit points or 6 attack points. Pretty good if you ask me!

Crime Stopper: standard uncommon, 4 attack for 6 recruit. It also has a small bonus, which is nice.

It's clobberin time: given that 8 of his other 13 cards are Strength, this should be fun. Lethal if you add Hulk to the mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
This is where expansions issue come into play. Honestly I wouldn't rush to buy recruit just so a card can turn it into attack (Unless negative zone is the scheme and frankly Silver Surfer does it better) because who knows when you'll draw that particular one.[...] Honestly I wouldn't rush to buy recruit just so a card can turn it into attack (Unless negative zone is the scheme and frankly Silver Surfer does it better) because who knows when you'll draw that particular one.
Oddly enough Thing doesn't have any 4 cost cards but Invisible Woman is all about it. Man the F4 synergy is weird.

I disagree. I will refer to the synergy of all 5 characters included in the box.

Silver Surfer, Invisible Woman and Human Torch have 4-cost commons (Invisible Woman has 13/14 cards that cost 4!) => she automatically triggers her own effects, and can benefit from time to time from other heroes' commons.

Silver Surfer and Thing are recruit-heavy heroes. This is where the beautiful synergy of that set comes into play. You don't need recruit only to convert it into attack. You need recruit for a lot of other things: automatically defeating villains (Silver Surfer's effects); rescuing bystanders (Invisible Woman); drawing cards (Silver Surfer; Mr Fantastic); KO-ing cards (Invisible Woman).

Imagine fighting the Mastermind with 3 SHIELD heroes, Mr Fantastic Rare's and 2 of Thing's recruit common. This means that you have 9 recruit points that can be converted by Mr Fantastic's rare into 9 attack points. Add his own 4 printed attack points and most of the masterminds will be beaten, with just 1 card that has attack printed on it!

The Focus keyword is a fantastic addition to the system, and all the heroes' effects are centered on it. You have to see the big picture here: the synergy does not work necessarily the usual way: this card interacts greatly with the other; the synergy works by enabling you to benefit from the Focus abilities.

What's more, each hero works greatly even if you take him or her from the other characters included in the box. This is why Fantastic Four has some of the best and most powerful characters, since they work so well with their own card sets.

Just my 2 cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhochges wrote:
Now I want to play Sue Storm and Luke Cage.

This just happened the other night, Sue Storm and Luke Cage Noir came up on the randomizer along with Iron Man Noir, Mr. Fantastic and Blade. It worked AMAZINGLY! The combination of Luke Cage Noir and Sue Storm led to high recruit and success on Investigations, while not having to cost too much to recruit. Mr. Fantastic worked really well into the mix too! The other cards were helpful with Tech triggers and such, but the first three comboed really well together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I hardly think Thing is unstoppable, but I like him. The combination of something that can both produce a good amount of Recruit and is, while not rare, still noteworthy.

Yancy Street is only a Recruit engine, but it's a good engine. It has the same power as Hell on Wheels or Odinson, and those are at the very least decent cards.

Knuckle Sandwich, just by itself is almost as versatile as the cards with that key word. And obviously you can focus any Recruit you crank out that turn, not just from this card. Just look at what you can do with his two common cards together: that's seven recruit, which is enough to snag a great many rares with just two cards. (It irritates me that Silver Surfer can't match or beat this feat with the same number of cards.) And if you need Attack right now, you can turn it into up to four Attack. Yes, the ratio isn't very good, but those are some good options, and Twisting Equations might have a better focus power and Disappearing Act is much more valuable, you shouldn't sneeze at this power.

Crime Stopper is far from exciting, and Thing is definitely not a Bystander-rescuing engine. But the four Attack for six Recruit is perfectly respectable.

Clobberin' Time is obviously Thing's biggest card, and right off the bat it's as powerful as a Hulk Smash that isn't boosted. You'll probably get to boost it, however (unless you're in a game that missed the effects that kill off Starting Heroes), and with just two other Strength cards it puts Hulk Smash to shame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.