Mike F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules suggest that generals who are being transferred can be placed on "non-isolated" units.

However new generals entering the game - and generals returning from the Displaced Box - have to go on a unit with an LOC to primary supply.

The former means LOC of ANY distance whereas the latter means the usual LOC chains of 4MPs (and rail/river/sea) back to a source.

Can I check this is what the rules intended? i.e. that transferring generals are the only ones who can be put onto 1+ SP units who are potentially far away from any 4MP LOC chain? It seems like an odd inconsistency-- but perhaps reflects how they are already 'out in the right' and more able to find great, niche locations to travel to.

Thanks as always.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dauphinais
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Transfer is meant to get to places that initial placement and placement out of the Displacement Box are not meant to reach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. It sounds like 7.8 in the current May-released rules is wrong, then?:

Quote:
The Leader Transfer Action allows any two 1- or 2-star Generals on the map to be repositioned. No SPs may be moved with the General when this is done. The ending space must contain a friendly non-Isolated SP that is not Militia.

It should instead say something like this?:

Quote:
The Leader Transfer Action allows any two 1- or 2-star Generals on the map to be repositioned. No SPs may be moved with the General when this is done. The ending space must contain a friendly SP that is not Militia and it must also have a LOC to a Primary Supply Source.

I think the above is what you meant. But are you instead saying that, in all cases, leader transfer involves LOCs that are of any length (i.e. not 4MP and rail/river chains)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Any unit Fort, Coastal Fort or stack that cannot trace a LOC of any length (between friendly Depots) to a Primary Supply Source is Isolated." (13.6.1).

It is inferred elsewhere that "of any length" means "not subject to the 4 MP limit" (13.5.3).

This would suggest that transferring generals can travel any distance overland between depots (not just along friendly-controlled railroads or waterways).

Thematically I would think this is saying that a small party of men (the general, his staff, and some bodyguards) does not need actual supplies and therefore can travel great distances between depots provided the route is clear of enemy. Presumably they can live off the land or carry sufficient supplies with them for the journey.

New generals and generals returning from the Displaced box are presumably more restricted in their movement because they (a) are coming fresh to the battle and lack detailed knowledge of current enemy dispositions, and (b) have to essentially arrive with the next supply shipment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.