Subject: Not so Invincible Armada? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Przemek B
United Kingdom
Bathgate
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently created a Vassal module for the game and I'm currently giving it a try as a solo game, at the same time testing my Solo Variant for the game.

20th July 1588, The Lizard [Turn 1]
English Attack & Spanish Counterattack [Tactical Move Phase]
N/A (English unengaged)

The Night [Reorganize and Reinforce Phase]
A single ship reinforces Howard's Squadron

The Dawn [Weather Adjustment] & The Unexpected [Event Chits]
As Spanish were approaching Eddystone Light, wind changed and now blew in Easterly direction. 4 English Squadrons took full advantage of the wind and set out to engage Spanish Armada next day. Fire broke out on Galleass Napolitana, and although put down, ship limped forward badly damaged.
(Weather: Normal, Easterly Wind; Strategic Movement: Armada moved forward, 4 English Squadrons moved in to engage.
Events: Spanish drew Walter Raleigh & Rapid Fire (both English Chits and thus passed on to English Player); English drew Hand of God & Critical Hit* – the latter immediately used on Spanish Moncada squadron)

Unbroken Squadrons / Strength:
Total Spanish: 10/99 (-1); Spanish Transports: 3/26
Total English: 5/54 (+1)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemek B
United Kingdom
Bathgate
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
21st July 1588, Eddystone Light [Turn 2]

English ships took full advantage of Easterly wind and moved in to engage Spanish head-on. Drake's initial ferocious attack against Bertendona’s Squadon was followed up by more careful actions by Hawkins and Howard, which almost wiped the unlucky Spanish out. Spanish responded by stiffening their line, and exposed Bertadona's Squadron was left to it's fate, being unable to rally.

Drake’s Squadron engaged and inflicted punishing damage on Bertendona’s Squadron (both sides chose ‘Stand Off’, but Drake got +2D6 from Rapid Fire and rolling at +1 DRM inflicted whooping 5 Strength Points of damage), but ending up routed in return. Follow up attacks inflicted further damage.

English Attack

No reinforcements reached English Ships.

Easterly wind continued to blow.
(Weather: Normal, Easterly Wind; Strategic Movement: Armada moved forward with 4 English Squadrons engaged.
Events: Spanish drew Parma Late* & Soldiers (first English Chit, immediatelly placed in Gravelines box); English drew Quartermaster & The City Ships* – the latter immediately used to reinforce Frobisher's Squadron

Total Spanish: 9/91 (-8) (incl. Spanish Transports: 3/26
Total English: 5/53 (-1)

Situation at the end of turn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemek B
United Kingdom
Bathgate
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
22nd July 1588, Off Plymouth [Turn 3]

English ships circled around Spanish line and focused on Transport ships. Howard inflicted some light losses on Medina I squadron, and Frobisher & Hawkins similarly engaged Medina III squadron, whilst Drake spend time reorganizing his ships from last day's raid
(This time it's English who run out of luck. All English attacks were quite uneventful, with Hawkins Squadron running out of ammo. Spanish successfully rallied Bertadona's Squadron, with all repair attempts being unsuccessful)

Two ships reinforced Frobisher's and Drake's Squadrons

Wind changed to Westerly, leaving Drake unable to engage anyone other then Bertadona's Squadron.
(Weather: Normal, Easterly Wind; Strategic Movement: Armada moved forward, 4 English Squadrons moved in to engage.
Events: Spanish drew Rapid Fire (English Chit) & Carpentner; English drew Gunners & Priests (Spanish Chit)

Total Spanish: 10/87 (-4) (incl. Spanish Transports: 3/22 (-4)
Total English: 5/53

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemek B
United Kingdom
Bathgate
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have realized that on the first gameplay, I've made some serious blunders commanding the Spanish. I've played another turn and it ended up with Spanish transports heavily mauled. Don't think Spanish have much of a chance now, I'll restart the game.

Some first thoughts on the game:
-Spanish really need to be careful with their deployment, both initial (further away from English entry points) and subsequent (protect the transports). English superior mobility gives them a large advantage when it comes to attacking undefended transports (outflanking)
-Spanish will take their losses, so they need to manage them and (if possible) force English to spread around their attention.
-my first game as Spanish was too passive. They shouldn't be afraid to counter-attack, to detract English from attacking vulnerable transports.

English tactic seems to be straightforward enough, just relentless assault to cause maximum damage.

On the more positive note, I'm really pleased with the solo variant so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.