Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the very early days of the internet I came across a printout of one of those stories that trainers sometimes tell to illustrate business or management principles, and I've never seen it since. I can remember the beginning and the very end, but not the bit in the middle. I also can't remember the exact trade of the main character, which is what makes it so bloody difficult to search for. It goes like this...

A man started a business making and selling shoes. He was a very skilled shoemaker, and soon he became very popular. His shoes were always in demand, and very soon he had more orders for shoes than he could make whilst also selling them.

So he hired someone to sell the shoes so he could have enough time to make all of them.

The person selling the shoes was selling so many that she didn't have enough time to do the paperwork, so the shoemaker hired an adminstrator.

...and this is the middle bit that I can't remember. Basically more and more layers of administration and management are added until....

One day, the Human Resources Director and the Finance Director had a meeting. They realised that the Company and hired too many people. It wasn't making enough money to be able to pay them all. Someone would have to go.

So they fired the guy who made the shoes.

If anyone knows the full version, or at least where it may have come from, I would be very and humungously grateful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

Make something up.

My version starts with a humble cab driver in Alaska, who becomes so successful that he hires another driver to run the cab during his off-duty time....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambiteer wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Make something up.

My version starts with a humble cab driver in Alaska, who becomes so successful that he hires another driver to run the cab during his off-duty time....

cool

But there isn't enough work for the second driver because some guy keeps picking up potential fares because he thinks they are hitchhikers. This causes the original cab driver to go out of business to hunt down the guy giving free rides. The sitcom would be named: "A Cold Day for Rusty."

I'm hoping HBO or Netflix picks it up. I hear it isn't the same without the language and nudity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laudwic wrote:
Gambiteer wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Make something up.

cool

But there isn't enough work for the second driver because some guy keeps picking up potential fares because he thinks they are hitchhikers. This causes the original cab driver to go out of business to hunt down the guy giving free rides. The sitcom would be named: "A Cold Day for Rusty."

I'm hoping HBO or Netflix picks it up. I hear it isn't the same without the language and nudity.

Throw in some murder and a change of wintery location and that's the next season of Fargo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.