P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle of the Bards is a two-player game using the Decktet. Thematically, it's about telling stories. Mechanically, it's set collection and some bluffing.

Rules are on the Decktet wiki. [link]

I'm offering Geekgold for feedback:

A sanity check on the rules. Are they clear? What's confusing? Reward is 5

If you try it and report back how it went: 50 if you play the short (single deck) game, 100 if you try the longer (better, double deck) game.

Playing it obviously requires a copy or two of the Decktet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fertessa
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just respond to the rules portion.The way I like to do critiques is write my reactions as I read, so you can get better insight into the immediate mindset of the player. So you may see areas where I question things which you have answered further on in the rules. I just think it's important for you to see when I desire certain information and how I'm processing what you laid out for me.

Setup:

Did you mean to say dominant meme, or was it supposed to be dominant theme? If you meant me, I find it confusing in this context.

How do you determine who goes first? Seems like you get an advantage by going first, because you decide the cards for you and your opponent.

You say the other player takes first turn, but I think this wording can be misleading, as it seems like the player dealing might be viewed as going first. I might change the wording in an earlier paragraph and say that one player must be chosen to deal cards, and the other player will start off the game.

Gameplay:

You use she twice when referring to players instead of they or some other neutral term.

What is the purpose of having some cards face up and some face down? Is it strategic, or just a way to give the players a mystery choice between the known and the unknown? Is there a danger of that being exploited by players to sabotage opponents? What would tempt someone to choose the cards they couldn't see?

How many suits are there? Is this game about creativity or is there another goal? The objective said the goal was to tell epic stories, so I think I assumed it was about telling the most amazing story witht he cards you had. But now it seems like your gameplay is restricted by suits, and maybe a point system? Still not sure.

The gameplay wording seems vague. I didn't get a good grasp on how I should be playing; just that I should be placing some cards down. I don't know why I would play certain cards, or how the round goes. Does each player take turns telling their tale, or does one player tell their full tale, and when it's concluded, it's the next player's turn?

Scoring:

You started using terms like Aces, Crowns, and Pawns, but I have no idea what that means? Maybe this game is based off a pre-existing game, so players should already know what to expect, but as a brand new player, I'm totally confused. The scoring section might also benefit from example images.

The End:

I might name the section End Game Content or something which is more descriptive than The End. You use her again many times in this section instead of a gender neutral term.

Why does it matter what order the scores are added up? Will something change if both players add up their scores at the same time? I feel like half of this section could be removed, and the rest should be added to scoring, as it is a part of the scoring process.

The Extended Deck:

What is the Excuse card? I feel like none of the cards were explained.

End Comments:

I briefly saw Decktet is a pre-existing set of cards, so your game is a variant using that deck. I think that's great, so take my words with a grain of salt. someone who has played Decktet could easily understand what I could not. That being said, if you want your game to be includive to people who know nothing about Decktet, I suggest giving more detailed instructions and/or examples to make sure everyone is on the same page. I hope some of this was helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.