Friday» Forums » Rules

Subject: Doubled a -2 aging card, ended up with zero rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Fleming
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Playing the app today (love it), and I came across the situation of being able to 2x a negative aging card. I wondered if I would end up with -4,+4, or no change. I ended up with it having a value of zero instead. Thought I would share this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tete Montoliu - Tootie's Tempo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
usaegxf1 wrote:
Playing the app today (love it), and I came across the situation of being able to 2x a negative aging card. I wondered if I would end up with -4,+4, or no change. I ended up with it having a value of zero instead. Thought I would share this.

I can't imagine why you would you want to double an aging card. It's a bug anyway; the rules specify that the doubling applies to a drawn fighting card.

edit: On second thought, the only bug is that it didn't multiply correctly and give you a -4. The Aging cards are fighting cards. If you want to double a negative value I see nothing in the rules to prevent it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Fleming
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I think the reason is obvious, to see what would happen, and I was rewarded with an unexpected result. I'm not calling what I did "board game science" but more of "app exploration" I really wish there was a back button on the app that would allow you to back up so long as no new info had been revealed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tete Montoliu - Tootie's Tempo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be less obvious than you suppose. I think it's possible that a situation might arise in your second pass through the Robinson deck when doubling the -1 Distraction aging card could be a strong play.
Admittedly unlikely, but perfect storms happen and I've learned to keep an open mind when playing Friday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Started playing the android version this weekend. Fun game but tried this to see what would happen and played a "1x double" on a -2 aging card. It put the 2x next to the value but it didn't change the count. seems they changed this and now it has no impact on the -2 aging card. Seems to me this should end up +4 or -4 but if it does nothing it shouldn't let me waste it or it should call it an illegal action (as it does for other cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kos blaat
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's in the rules.
Doubling effect goes after aging cards, in other words the aging has already taken place, doubling has no effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kosterix wrote:
It's in the rules.
Doubling effect goes after aging cards, in other words the aging has already taken place, doubling has no effect.

Where do the rules say that?

I see that the doubling effect is applied at the end of the fight, but I don't see anything to indicate that the fighting values of aging cards are counted at a different time than the values of "normal" fighting cards. So if you can double a normal fighting card, you can double an aging card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm baffled why doubling -2 would result in +4 or -2 or 0 or anything else except -4.

2 * -2 = -4 is basic arithmetic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kos blaat
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
xipuloxx wrote:
kosterix wrote:
It's in the rules.

Must I do everything for you?
Just go to files and read the rules.

"-2 Leben: Du musst am Ende des Kampfes 2 Lebenspunkte (zusätzlich) abgeben, selbst wenn du den Kampf gewinnst. Du darfst diese Lebenspunkte nicht zum Zerstören einer (oder mehrerer) Kampfkarte(n) verwenden!"

Am Ende = not during (=w"ahrend).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mircea Pauca
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's different, that's the 0-power life-2 obligatory 'ability' aging card (Very Tired).
I thought the OP referenced the -2 power aging card (Stupid).

The first may be Copied (as an ability), the second may be Doubled (as a fighting value) ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kosterix wrote:
xipuloxx wrote:
kosterix wrote:
It's in the rules.

Must I do everything for you?
Just go to files and read the rules.

"-2 Leben: Du musst am Ende des Kampfes 2 Lebenspunkte (zusätzlich) abgeben, selbst wenn du den Kampf gewinnst. Du darfst diese Lebenspunkte nicht zum Zerstören einer (oder mehrerer) Kampfkarte(n) verwenden!"

Am Ende = not during (=w"ahrend).

No indeed, you don't have to do everything for me. In fact, I did look in the rules to see if I could find what you were referring to.

What you could do, though, is read the thread and make sure you understand what we're talking about before you start acting all superior.

As Mircea says, we're talking about the fighting values of cards (because that's what "double" applies to), not the special abilities of cards.

And in any case, both "double" and "-2 life" refer to "the end of the fight". I still don't see anything that says doubling happens after the effect of aging cards, as you claimed. In fact it seems to imply that "-2 life" happens after the fight has been resolved, when life points are normally paid if you lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.