Subject: Infection Stage Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question regarding the infection stage is someone can help.

For example: I know that if I have cured red and during the infection stage I still place read disease tokens on the appropriate cities. Also I know that if I have both cured and eradicated (no tokens of that color are on the board) a disease when I draw a card of that same color I don't place any tokens. But do I still discard that card?

I question is because, as you have Epidemics, and keep reshuffling eradicated diseases back on top, you have an increasing chance of not spreading new diseases to new cities.

So by the time you get to your third eradicated disease, even with another Epidemic, the next several cards you draw will, most likely, have no effect.

Otherwise, in the infection phase, when you have a card for an eradicated you might take it out of the game. But I don't see that as the rules.

Am I mis-reading anything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct. Cards for eradicated diseases are discarded just like anything else, so they will get reshuffled in an epidemic. It's a big benefit in eradication that you will have "dead" cards in the infection deck. However, by your third eradication, you must be very close to the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IF you were to eradicate 3 diseases, then most cards would have no effect, that is true.

But given that you need only to cure all diseases, not eradicate them, and eradicating is extremely costly in time, eradicating 3 diseases is a very rare occurrence, one that I have personally never witnessed, in fact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dakota Aull
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No you are not playing wrong. Odds are, in most games, you will probably have at most one eradicated disease. Remember, in order to win the game you need only four diseases cured not eradicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this a hypothetical or did it actually happen? I can't imagine having time to eradicate 3 diseases!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chapman
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this post because it reminds me of the first few times of playing Pandemic as I had missed that key bit of information - I believed you had to eradicate all 4 diseases before you reached the bottom of the deck! My brothers and I thought it was the most difficult game to beat ever! However, after about the 7th game, we managed to eradicate 3 of the 4 diseases and we had only 1 cube left before we reached the bottom of the deck.

Anyway, I have since seen the error of my ways but thought I would share in case someone else had a similar experience :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Neau
msg tools
mb
Well, the first four times I played, I thought you could eradicate without curing, then worry later about the cure...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I once had a game in which we eradicated ALL FOUR diseases and had no outbreaks.

Playing with seven Epidemic cards.

It was on BSW, and we did take advantage of a rules mistake in the BSW implementation. But still.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely. My friend and I once eradicated all diseases in a two player game with 6 epidemic cards. It's only happened once, but it does happen. I think it may have come down to the very last move. Such an awesome moment!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
We've only played a few games so far so we're still making plenty of mistakes. But playing with only 4 Epidemic cards, Introductory Mode, and using the Medic and Scientist definitely allowed us to stay ahead of the out breaks.

So we're experimenting with other roles now but still in the Introductory Mode. The last game we could not stay ahead of the red no matter how hard we tried. My wife was running around keeping the rest of the world under control. While I stayed in the Asia/Pacific area. We cured two diseases, never eradicated any. Finally we ran out of red cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
We've only played a few games so far so we're still making plenty of mistakes. But playing with only 4 Epidemic cards, Introductory Mode, and using the Medic and Scientist definitely allowed us to stay ahead of the out breaks.

So we're experimenting with other roles now but still in the Introductory Mode. The last game we could not stay ahead of the red no matter how hard we tried. My wife was running around keeping the rest of the world under control. While I stayed in the Asia/Pacific area. We cured two diseases, never eradicated any. Finally we ran out of red cubes.
Good work! Stick with it You'll be eradicating diseases in no time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.