Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Fourth Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: New info on Techno ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Bourigault
France
flag msg tools
Hey all !

I may be mistaken, but it looks like the FFG website was updated with more illustrations : https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/11/twiligh...



With three blue technologies already acquired, the player is free to research the Light/Wave Deflector technology.


Players may also own planets that include a technology specialty. These planets are valuable resources that may be used to ignore a prerequisite on a technology currently being researched, letting players advance their tech trees quicker than would normally be possible.


So, it look like we basically go back to TI2 techno system, with each technology color advances independently. Also, this indicates that each ship is upgraded only once, when the requiered techno colors are optained.

I like it. Makes the whole thing much smoother.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Halbower
United States
Muskegon
Michigan
flag msg tools
Not Oswald!!!
badge
Vic Mackey
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's amazing!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 184 technology and technology upgrade cards in the game (per the FFG website). The cards depicted in your graphic are the generic upgrades that affect multiple ship-classes. Since each race has what looks like two race-specific upgrades, that means there are 25 cards in each player's tech deck [(184-34)/6 players].

Therefore each player would have access to 16 generic tech upgrades and 9 unit-specific ones plus their 2 race-specific ones (for a total deck size of 27 cards per player).

I'm not so sure about the limit of one upgrade per ship/unit type, but it's possible. Perhaps additional upgrades will be included in a future expansion (with the stipulation that Cruiser III can only be researched after Cruiser II is obtained).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quantum collider
msg tools
tommygunn2011 wrote:
There are 184 technology and technology upgrade cards in the game (per the FFG website). The cards depicted in your graphic are the generic upgrades that affect multiple ship-classes. Since each race has what looks like two race-specific upgrades, that means there are 25 cards in each player's tech deck [(184-34)/6 players].

Therefore each player would have access to 16 generic tech upgrades and 9 unit-specific ones plus their 2 race-specific ones (for a total deck size of 27 cards per player).

I'm not so sure about the limit of one upgrade per ship/unit type, but it's possible. Perhaps additional upgrades will be included in a future expansion (with the stipulation that Cruiser III can only be researched after Cruiser II is obtained).


If you look at the sheet of the Yin Brotherhood with the Dreadnought II upgrade:
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/75/a4...
You can see that the MkII cannot be upgraded any further; no 'up' arrows with its stats, no new tech requirements, and the wireframe picture of the ship is replaced by a dark outline (similar as that of the Flagship).

I would assume that generally speaking only 1 upgrade is available per ship. Of course, some races may have a second upgrade for a unique ship type.

Also, there may be 'generic' techs that can be used to further improve ships: for example, I have no doubt that the 'Assault Cannon' will make an appearance this edition to give a dreadnought some more punch.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dino Destefano
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
tommygunn2011 wrote:

Therefore each player would have access to 16 generic tech upgrades and 9 unit-specific ones plus their 2 race-specific ones (for a total deck size of 27 cards per player).

I also think that some of the race-specific ones will be ship upgrades.
For instance I am fairly confident that N'orr will have "Extotrireme II" as one of their racial technologies.
(As a consequence, maybe, the usual "Type IV Drive - Dreadnought II" will be useless for them?)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dino Destefano
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
Simboubou wrote:


Players may also own planets that include a technology specialty. These planets are valuable resources that may be used to ignore a prerequisite on a technology currently being researched, letting players advance their tech trees quicker than would normally be possible.


I can't wait until I skip antimass deflector and then get massively screwed when I plan to go through an asteroid field forgetting about that
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quantum collider
msg tools
Shardan wrote:
Simboubou wrote:


Players may also own planets that include a technology specialty. These planets are valuable resources that may be used to ignore a prerequisite on a technology currently being researched, letting players advance their tech trees quicker than would normally be possible.


I can't wait until I skip antimass deflector and then get massively screwed when I plan to go through an asteroid field forgetting about that


Antimass Deflector now also gives some protection against Space cannons; a -1 to the cannon's dice roll.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Those pictures were always there. There may also be normal techs with multiple different icons, although it suggests that is mainly ship upgrades.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dragon Fire
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The text was updated ...

The new text may conclude that you get now no technology discount from the planet, instead you can use it as requirement for a technology

Quote:
Players may also own planets that include a technology specialty. These planets are valuable resources that may be used to ignore a prerequisite on a technology currently being researched, letting players advance their tech trees quicker than would normally be possible.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am pretty sure that text was also always there. Hence why there are probably less of those icons on the board, I think this was mentioned in another thread already.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Bourigault
France
flag msg tools
Also, I see no "starting tech" or "starting units" on race sheets.

Either it's on the back, or doesn't exist anymore.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
I am pretty sure that text was also always there. Hence why there are probably less of those icons on the board, I think this was mentioned in another thread already.


Yeah that text was there when the game was announced or at least the same day. I was telling people about the change in technology specialties Friday night when we were gaming.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Simboubou wrote:
Also, I see no "starting tech" or "starting units" on race sheets.

Either it's on the back, or doesn't exist anymore.

I'd be surprised if it doesn't exist somewhere.

Eldritch Horror puts starting equipment on the back of the investigator cards, so there is precedent for that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dragon Fire
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simboubou wrote:
Also, I see no "starting tech" or "starting units" on race sheets.

Either it's on the back, or doesn't exist anymore.


No starting units is hard, but maybe easier to balance ...
No starting tech is may balanced by technology requirement discount around your home planet ...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Syagin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I gotta say - I love new gravity drive. Previous one created so many FAQ questions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
IDragonfire wrote:
Simboubou wrote:
Also, I see no "starting tech" or "starting units" on race sheets.

Either it's on the back, or doesn't exist anymore.


No starting units is hard, but maybe easier to balance ...


No starting units would be incredibly stupid, so they must appear somewhere.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dragon Fire
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

No starting units would be incredibly stupid, so they must appear somewhere.


Maybe they changed the early game ...
Why no starting units is stupid?
You have then to decide if you want to expand or attack/defend ...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
IDragonfire wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

No starting units would be incredibly stupid, so they must appear somewhere.


Maybe they changed the early game ...
Why no starting units is stupid?
You have then to decide if you want to expand or attack/defend ...


Because it means in the first round, the only tactical action anyone could take would be to build units (using the very low number of resources at their disposal), and no one would be able to move them (except the player who chose Warfare). It would make the first round basically pointless, and if the game is designed well then you fast-forward past anything pointless and just start the players with some units.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dragon Fire
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:

Because it means in the first round, the only tactical action anyone could take would be to build units (using the very low number of resources at their disposal), and no one would be able to move them (except the player who chose Warfare). It would make the first round basically pointless, and if the game is designed well then you fast-forward past anything pointless and just start the players with some units.


Like I said, maybe they changed the early game ...
Every player can buy units in value of x before the game starts ...
Only speculation ...

And maybe every player can choose y technologies from the start ...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
IDragonfire wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

Because it means in the first round, the only tactical action anyone could take would be to build units (using the very low number of resources at their disposal), and no one would be able to move them (except the player who chose Warfare). It would make the first round basically pointless, and if the game is designed well then you fast-forward past anything pointless and just start the players with some units.


Like I said, maybe they changed the early game ...
Every player can buy units in value of x before the game starts ...
Only speculation ...

And maybe every player can choose y technologies from the start ...


Okay, I understand now - you mean no *set* starting units. I thought you meant no starting units at all!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
IDragonfire wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

Because it means in the first round, the only tactical action anyone could take would be to build units (using the very low number of resources at their disposal), and no one would be able to move them (except the player who chose Warfare). It would make the first round basically pointless, and if the game is designed well then you fast-forward past anything pointless and just start the players with some units.


Like I said, maybe they changed the early game ...
Every player can buy units in value of x before the game starts ...
Only speculation ...

And maybe every player can choose y technologies from the start ...


Okay, I understand now - you mean no *set* starting units. I thought you meant no starting units at all!


The starting Techs and Units are on the back of the Faction (not Race anymore?) mat. I suppose that makes sense. You don't need it after you set up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Leifr wrote:
Faction (not Race anymore?)

I personally think "Faction" is probably more fitting in general. While I guess most of the "races" are homogenous, there are a couple that are blended - the Mentak in particular, but the L1z1x are implied to have some Hylar-ancestry citizens, too (even if the Lazax descendants are the bulk of things).

Also, race-wise, I think the Yin would technically be "human", but they are definitely a different faction
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, in contexts such as this, "race" tends to imply (in true Star Trek fashion) that all members of a race are the same. So "faction" is a slightly more PC term.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.