GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,299 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Boards Alive Podcast» Forums » News

Subject: Upcoming Discussion: Video Games Geek Culture segment rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Cassidy
Canada
West Kelowna
British Columbia (BC)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Everyone,

As we get ready to head down to PAX West, a mostly video game focused convention, we thought it would be fun to talk about our favourite video games and how they've influenced us over the years.

So we want to know, what are your favourite video games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hillier
United States
Kettering
OH
flag msg tools
WDYPTW Podcast
badge
I am the wurst!
mbmbmbmbmb
I stopped by a bar-cade the other night and I'm still pretty good at centipede.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Turner
United States
Glen Allen
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have given countless hours of my life to the various incarnations of Civilization. I recently uninstalled Stardew Valley because it was just sucking too much of my time. I really like turn based style games because I just don't have the reflexes of my 11 and 12 year old kids any more, and I got tired of losing at FPS and RTS games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Phantasy Star 4

A title from the original Sega Genesis. About once a year I still pull it out to play. I still have my Sega from when I was a kid. Phantasy Star 4 introduced me to JRPGs, and RPGs in general. Back before the internet existed, Comcast offered "the Sega Chanel." You plugged in a device into your Sega, and you'd have access to 50 games a month, that'd change monthly. This is where I discovered Phantasy Star 4. The combo-attacks are amaze-balls, and it's awesome that I can equip my mage character with two shields giving him the highest defense of all my characters.

Sudeki

This title was available on the original XBox. What I loved about this game was the truly customizable weapons abilities. It was one of the first times I'd ever come across it, though I've obviously seen it many times since. I loved the story, the combat, and the fact that there were many points where you got to chose your party BUT if you didn't put time into each character you'd get utterly boned during story points where they'd be required to play. The world was also a really cool mix of fantasy and sci-fi with rather unique monsters.

Guild Wars 2

I've played many MMORPGs, but this one is by-and-far my favorite. If you go to their forums, there are (of course) all the peeps who say, "X is the best build for Y profession." But, there is soooo many builds to explore. I love trying out weapon and stat combos that this game provides. I love that I'm not overwhelmed with a huge HUD of skills, but half the skills available are tied to your weapon choice... in between fights? Swap weapons and get all new skills! Heck, you can even set up 2 weapons to swap between while you fight! The races available are awesome, too... each with their own diverse culture. Lots of RP potential if you want. Oh, and I can't forget to mention the Living World... every few months the devs add new free content. Atm I'm taking a break, but I fully intend to go back soon.

Morrowind and Skyrim

I have a lot of fond memories of Morrowind, most specifically the customization of spells. This doesn't exist in Skyrim, but I've put in about 8k hours into Skryim by now AND I'M STILL PLAYING IT. There is just so much to love... I get a character to a certain point, then I start a new one over. It's kinda sad how much of my brain is devoted to memorizing every iota of content that exists in this game. Right now I'm working on a Khajiit unarmed and unarmored fighter will be immune to all magic.

Bastion

What feels like a unique aesthetic, a great story, and yup: customizable weapons! I think there's a minor trend going on. The music is fantastic, and makes up a lot of the ringtones and alarms I use on my phone. The deep voice narration that occurs while you play which reacts to various actions you take is GENIUS.

Pokemon Yellow

I lost my original Red and Blue, and I have no clue where they went - but, I played all 3 for countless hours. Luckily I still have yellow AND it has my immorally gained MEW. Unfortunately that means I can't start a new game 'cause then I'll loose Mew. I've tried later pokemon games, but they just don't hold my interest for long. Yellow will always have a special place in my heart.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha!
I just went through my Gog and Steam accounts to see what I played regularly, and I came out with a list of 10 games but they are not my top 10.

We have a couple of board game adaptations
Sentinels of the Multiverse
Star Realms
Both bought because they are great ways of playing a very quick version of the game.

Then we have a few RPGs
Fallout 2
Fallout: New Vegas
Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines
Because the breadth of choice offered in these games while playing through the same story each time is amazing.

I was a big fan of Point&Click adventure games back in the day, and this one is the best of the bunch, not just because of the gameplay but because of the story and characters.
Broken Sword: The Shadow of the TemplarsBroken Sword

Then we have games with a mix of exciting combat and great atmosphere
System Shock 2
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
Both games have me on the edge of my seat, sneaking around trying to find resources and survive the deadly hazards of the world itself.

Over the top cheesy fun with an astounding variety of modular powers, even more if you include the community mods
Freedom Force (2002)

And last we have a game that only takes 15 minutes or so to play but is amazingly fun and has lots to discover.
Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space

How did these influence me? I think part of why I play videogames is to relax my mind and not have to think about things, I get a load of ideas about how to tackle a problem in my "real" life after playing, or just ideas for RPG plot. and sometimes even steal characters, shhhhhhh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Buscemi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's mine, in more or less the order I played them in:

Arcade: Gauntlet, Q*bert, Pac-Man
Nintendo: Final Fantasy, Legend of Zelda, Dragon Warrior, Dragon Warrior IV
Super Nintendo: Final Fantasy III, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Street Fighter II
PC: Warcraft, Heroes of Might and Magic II
Playstation: Final Fantasy Tactics
Playstation 2: Shadow of the Colossus, Final Fantasy X, Guilty Gear X
Playstation 3: Bioshock, Uncharted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mass Effect 1-3 are far and away my favorite video games. I don't play video games at all anymore but the memories I have of those three still make me want to go buy a system and play them again. Even with the lackluster ending to Mass Effect 3 I still love the epic-ness of these games.

And speaking of epic-ness the Elder Scrolls have always been a favorite of mine too. I started playing them with Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall and played each installment through Skyrim. The only one I ever beat was Oblivion but I can't even imagine the amount of time I poured into those games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinten Dreger
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thebaker1983 wrote:
The Mass Effect 1-3 are far and away my favorite video games.

Oh man, I'm replaying these games again right now! So good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthonii
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
4.6 Five Mississippi
mb
The Last of Us
A totally gut wrenching expirence. The first 15min of the game/story let you know this is not just any game.

Metal Gear Solid

Playerunknown Battlegrounds

Overwatch

Hereos of the Storm

Squad

Tony Hawk Skater (originals)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthonii
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
4.6 Five Mississippi
mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cassidy
Canada
West Kelowna
British Columbia (BC)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anthonii wrote:

I'm sorry to everyone who watches this video...

It is NSFW because of pixelated nether regions...Just a heads up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcade: Tron, Star Trek, Mario Bros, Guantlet, Tetris

Nintendo: Final Fantasy, Legend of Zelda, Dragon Warrior (yes I straight up copied Eric, but it was pretty dang spot on)

Super Nintendo: Final Fantasy III, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Street Fighter II, Desert Strike, Mario World, Populous, I could go on for days...

PC: Might and Magic: Xeen, Civ, any Gold Box D&D game, Warlords, Starcraft, Diablo 2

I have to say, the SNES might have been the golden age of gaming for me. That's not to say the games are better than games now, but I have so many good memories from that system.

My college buddies and I used to play a lot of Street Fighter - that's when I learned that you could really abuse the crap out of the controllers and they could take your frustrations.

Writing down Populous codes sucked, but Populous on the SNES was 100x cooler than on any other platform. Ever.

Zelda, Mario, Metroid, F-Zero, Mario Kart, Bomberman, Top Gear 2, Star Wars, Lost Vikings, NBA Jam, Dr. Mario, Secret of Mana, all the Final Fantasy games, and on and on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Turner
United States
Glen Allen
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardsAlive wrote:
anthonii wrote:

I'm sorry to everyone who watches this video...

It is NSFW because of pixelated nether regions...Just a heads up

Man, that rubber ducky is HUNG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No thoughts at the moment but I will give you a list and I can expound later possibly.

More modern:

Shadow of the Colossus

Ico

World of Warcraft

Skyrim

Ni No Kuni

Tomb Raider (2013)

Older:

NBA Jam

Mortal Kombat

Crazy Taxi

Ocarina of Time(Bar none the best game ever created)

Seaman(man that thing was creepy but we played it constantly)

Silent Hill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tatsu wrote:

Nintendo: Final Fantasy, Legend of Zelda, Dragon Warrior (yes I straight up copied Eric, but it was pretty dang spot on)

Super Nintendo: Final Fantasy III, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Street Fighter II, Desert Strike, Mario World, Populous, I could go on for days...

PC: Might and Magic: Xeen, Civ, any Gold Box D&D game, Warlords, Starcraft, Diablo 2

I have to say, the SNES might have been the golden age of gaming for me. That's not to say the games are better than games now, but I have so many good memories from that system.

My college buddies and I used to play a lot of Street Fighter - that's when I learned that you could really abuse the crap out of the controllers and they could take your frustrations.

Writing down Populous codes sucked, but Populous on the SNES was 100x cooler than on any other platform. Ever.

Zelda, Mario, Metroid, F-Zero, Mario Kart, Bomberman, Top Gear 2, Star Wars, Lost Vikings, NBA Jam, Dr. Mario, Secret of Mana, all the Final Fantasy games, and on and on.

Man, I forgot a ton of stuff. Shadowrun, Chrono Trigger, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Ogre Battle

Loved the SNES.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Maltman
Canada
RICHMOND HILL
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tatsu wrote:

Good stuff in here.

Nintendo:
Tecmo Superbowl (so many weekend long marathon seasons), MegaMan II/III, Genghis Khan (my fave of the Koei trio... a friend went to work for them in Japan in the 2000s)

Genesis:
NHL94 - played that so much in my dorm it was ridiculous

had a Dreamcast after that, but nothing sticks out.

NBA2K games once they started coming out, for whichever system I played with friends. Enjoyed the NCAA2K college basketball with multi-season simulation and tournament play too.

PC games I played the most:
Civ I/II/III/IV/V
- I bought I when it came out and played it so much, IV a ton with the PTBS, and I generally upgraded my PC when a new version came out and my specs were no longer good enough. I haven't bought VI yet because it came out before my busy season, and now I have so many solo games I want to play I can't justify the time/$
Railroad Tycoon
Ultima III/IV/V/VI
Gold Box D&D games
simulating seasons on Earl Weaver Baseball II

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.