Subject: Question about the Obey! card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Reitz
Germany
Mayen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obey! reads "..., if you have a card with the keyword 'monster' in your hand, you may discard this to apply the following effect:"

Does "this" mean the "Obey!" card itself or the monster card?
I think the "Obey!" card is meant, but it would have been clearer if they added "Discard this." to the effect box of the card instead of using "discard this" within the text.

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about that specific card but the designers have said that "this" = "this card" so it's as you think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KivasFajo wrote:
Obey! reads "..., if you have a card with the keyword 'monster' in your hand, you may discard this to apply the following effect:"

Does "this" mean the "Obey!" card itself or the monster card?

"This" always refers to the card it's printed on (or referred to via, e.g., a green-to-gold symbol).

KivasFajo wrote:
I think the "Obey!" card is meant, but it would have been clearer if they added "Discard this." to the effect box of the card instead of using "discard this" within the text.

They mean the same thing. The designers probably should have used a language-independent icon for that purpose, since it's such a common thing within the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
"This" is defined in the glossary at the end of the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.