Sam N/A
msg tools
So, I'm trying to learn the game through the Storming Gold Scenario, and I'm a bit confused as to how landing craft work, specifically:

1) How many steps can be loaded onto how many steps landing craft? The rules say either one independent unit or all units of a single battalion, and a lot of the setups in the vassal module, which I'm using sometimes have two companys (four steps) loaded onto 1 landing craft (two steps) but other times it has one company to one landing craft. Is there a set ratio to how many steps of a battalion can be loaded onto one step of landing craft? Could I load all four companies of a battalion in later waves onto a single landing craft marker?

2) The rules refer to "recycling" landing craft for later use after they drop off whatever they're loaded up with. I understand this, but what about landing craft that suffered step losses or were eliminated entirely? Do these return at full strength or am I limited in how many landing craft I have? If not am I allowed to combine single steps of landing craft into a full strength one if I have to follow a ratio?

I appreciate any clarification anyone can give me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Forester
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: "Recycling" Landing Craft
1) There is no stacking limit for LC, each load will depend on the order of arrival. Think of the smaller loads as landing in small LC and the bigger battalions etc. coming in the bigger ones. You don't get a choice, the listed untis arrive in LC together, you simply have to stack them as they are listed in the invasion landing. You'll notice that the initial waves are usually stacked just 1 or maybe 2, while the follow-up waves are stacked bigger.

2) Just reuse counters and don't track any losses, they only matter for morale checks and I guess shooting during each landing. Once the LC is done, put it back in the pool at full strength. This way you can use a smaller number of counters for landing all that stuff. Each LC counter is sort of abstract that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam N/A
msg tools
Re: "Recycling" Landing Craft
leeforester wrote:
1) There is no stacking limit for LC, each load will depend on the order of arrival. Think of the smaller loads as landing in small LC and the bigger battalions etc. coming in the bigger ones. You don't get a choice, the listed untis arrive in LC together, you simply have to stack them as they are listed in the invasion landing. You'll notice that the initial waves are usually stacked just 1 or maybe 2, while the follow-up waves are stacked bigger.

2) Just reuse counters and don't track any losses, they only matter for morale checks and I guess shooting during each landing. Once the LC is done, put it back in the pool at full strength. This way you can use a smaller number of counters for landing all that stuff. Each LC counter is sort of abstract that way.

Ah, thank you! That makes more sense. I was fearful of a limited number of landing craft available (Flashbacks to D-Day at Tarawa I guess)

I have some other questions that hopefully people can help with

Any particular reason why the Sherbrooke Fusiliers missing from both the O Canada and Nemesis scenarios? They landed on June 6th and played a pretty big role in the fighting on June 7th at Authie and Buron. Seems somewhat odd that they're omitted from both scenarios, as it also means that 2nd Canadian Armoured Brigade won't be able to be divvied up between the three Canadian Infantry Brigades as happened historically. I mean 9 CIB is gonna have to face the Panzers at Authie and Buron alone and that doesn't make any sense, especially since they're included in the Campaign game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.