3 Posts

The 7th Continent» Forums » Rules

Subject: Facing the Elements temporary event cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Hollow
msg tools
mb
We finally encountered a weather phenomenon from the Facing the Elements expansion, namely
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Threatening clouds
which puts a
Thunderstorm
-figure on the board. This amongst other things, has the effect to draw a corresponding temporary event card under certain circumstances:
when a character moves away from the terrain card the figure is on

Those events then get discarded into the past after being resolved as per the rules. There is a (very) limited amount of those cards you can get through quite fast if fate is cruel and there doesn't seem to be a mechanism to reshuffle the temporary events when all are drawn. I thought there would be a golden card to make the weather go away or reshuffle the used events, or maybe one of the cards getting returned instead of discarded to keep one event drawable. But after having drawn the few cards there's just no events left and you can't draw a card anymore which was a little disappointing.

So basically.. is this correct? Do we just ignore the taking an event card step when they're gone?

edit: The amount of temporary event cards for this weather is

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Fearing the Elements temporary event cards
It's surprising that you were moving away from that card so much, but there is an answer for what to do when you run out of cards to draw on p14 of the rules:

Rules p14 wrote:
If no card with that number is available:
The active player must immediately return ALL the Adventure cards in the Past to their place in the Adventure Deck
and shuffle all the Exploration cards in the Past back into the Exploration Deck. They then take the newly available
card as explained above.

Edit: Hmm... I just had a thought related to your comments above:
Were you treating all movement as drawing extra cards? I believe you are only meant to draw when leaving the Terrain that the weather resides upon.

At least that's the impression I got when reading the weather card I revealed... I may need to check to make sure I didn't play it incorrectly.

Edit 2: Related to the research I mentioned I'd do in the above spoiler:
I looked up the cards in question and it does only refer to the Terrain card upon which the weather is on. Were you playing that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hollow
msg tools
mb
Clipper wrote:

Edit: Hmm... I just had a thought related to your comments above:
Were you treating all movement as drawing extra cards? I believe you are only meant to draw when leaving the Terrain that the weather resides upon.

At least that's the impression I got when reading the weather card I revealed... I may need to check to make sure I didn't play it incorrectly.

It was an... unlucky situation and we 'wasted' some energy to get cards to help us. Story time:
We were at a spot where the card revealed by the fog was one that was a ...'connector' (like the balance bridge on tutorial island) rather than terrain you could move onto. So the weather was put on the tile we were all standing on. Additionally to the west was a tile we wanted to explore to make sure we were in the right spot. Also, we wanted to cook some food of which we had a lot. So two people went to a fire to cook, one stayed under the storm as we wanted to get back there cheaply. first card got into play. We also tried to get certain cards helping us with the connector as we had enough hunting equipment to get more food. Did go to the fire twice in the end, someone left to investigate something else in a spur of a moment and when leaving to the west we drew the card that moved the storm... onto the field we just moved to. Moving away from there would have made us draw card 5.

edit: Yeah, we played that right, as mentioned in my third spoiler in the OP. Back to the solution you mentioned: that does actually work... I don't think there is too many of those cases in the game though. It's usually solved rather elegantly with gold cards. I think I would prefer if you only reshuffled the affected cards, not the whole past. Or if you just returned the event cards instead of discarding them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.