Subject: question about latest edition of SFB rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Baxter
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In the early 90s I was gifted a copy of SFB and the Advanced Missions box and I never could really wrap my head around it - although I tried. I recently thought about it again because I found I still had a copy of the Cadet Training book - missing counters and a map though.

For nostalgia purposes I've looked for that SFB box online and it's super cheap used - but it seems there was a late 90s update and a 2005 update since then.

My question is, are the changes just errata? Do old school SFB players like the new versions? How are the components/quality of books compared to the early 90s version?

Basically: wondering if I should skip getting the one I had for nostalgia purposes and get the new one instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Component quality is basically the same, black and white rules and SSD book, cardstock map, single sided die cut counters. Hasn't changed in that regard. The counters are done with modern die cutting and printing so are better quality in that regard. Also, the rules and SSDs have been through some revisions. They are still largely the same (anyone who played in the '90s could jump right back in with no trouble) but includes some minor changes here and there and of course things like errata and such since the '90s are incorporated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig grinnell
United States
speer
Illinois
flag msg tools
Screaming Eagle and Damn Proud of it!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest playing through the cadet version first to see if you really like it. SFB is a hefty investment that should not be taken lightly.
As for the missing pieces, the cadet training version is available as a free download from various sources and if you are a vassal player, there is a mod for the cadet training game only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Baxter
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just did exactly that - downloaded the map and counters. I'm gonna mess around with it when I get a full day off and see if it still clicks with me.

I play mostly modern games now but the mystique of SFB - the endless depths - was always and remains the allure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig grinnell
United States
speer
Illinois
flag msg tools
Screaming Eagle and Damn Proud of it!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always loved SFB, but with the loss of my original sets, I just can't justify spending to replace them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.