GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,669 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Expansion- Sentinels of the Buffyverse rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Klein
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
This is the hub for my Sentinels of the Buffyverse expansion, a collection of decks based on the TV show Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Heroes:
Buffy (Custom Hero- Buffy (Sentinels of the Buffyverse))
Willow (incomplete)
Xander (Custom Hero- Xander (Sentinels of the Buffyverse))
Giles (incomplete)
Spike (incomplete)

Villains:
The Master (incomplete)
Ethan Rayne (Team Villain) (incomplete)
Angelus (Custom Villain- Angelus (Sentinels of the Buffyverse))
Mayor Wilkins (incomplete)
Anyanka (Team Villain) (incomplete)
The Gentlemen (Custom Villain: The Gentlemen (Sentinels of the Buffyverse))
The Initiative (incomplete)
Glory (incomplete)
Sweet (Team Villain) (Custom Villain- Sweet (Sentinels of the Buffyverse))
The Trio (Team Villain) (incomplete)
Dark Willow (Custom Villain- Dark Willow (Sentinels of the Buffyverse))
The First Evil (incomplete)

Environments:
Sunnydale Graveyard (Custom Environment- Sunnydale Graveyard (Sentinels of the Buffyverse))
Sunnydale High School (incomplete)
The Bronze (incomplete)
The Magic Box (incomplete)
The Wishverse (incomplete)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Liking this so far, and very interested in seeing more! Although I must admit I'm curious as to how Xander will be made a contender...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your "thread" links aren't working properly.

Me, I always thought Spike was cool, but he also didn't get his own TV show, so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
I think the tag you're looking for is [url=LINK]text[/url].

Also, I'd recommend against having one long thread with all the card text of all your decks. It will be really cumbersome, and redundant if you're posting decks separately anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The thread links would work if you had the number rather than the whole URL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Klein
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone for feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You've broken the links entirely.

Thread tags are the appropriate thing here. {thread=1824901}{/thread} with square brackets instead of curly brackets yields Custom Villain- Angelus (Sentinels of the Buffyverse)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Klein
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Thank you!

Added link to Xander's development thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Klein
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Added link to Sweet's development thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Klein
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Angelus officially completed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Looking forward to how you continue through these!

I'm curious how you're going to handle the other heroes. Willow clearly does her magic stuff, but it'll be interesting as to how you'll mechanically distinguish Angel and Buffy (who are just super fast/strong/tough brawlers) and Xander from Giles (who are both supporters).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Yorke
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Adelphophage wrote:
but it'll be interesting as to how you'll mechanically distinguish Angel and Buffy (who are just super fast/strong/tough brawlers)

I think this is a good reason to go forward making a Spike deck instead of Angel. What would be interesting would be a way in somehow incorporate the chip into the game. Some way to say something like "whenever spike deals damage to a human character he deals himself an equal amount of damage". Again, not sure how exactly that would fit but something like this would be an interesting aspect of the character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
It's tough including drawbacks into Hero decks - they just won't play the card if that's all it is, perhaps it would need some upside too? Maybe a card that has increase all damage dealt by Spike by 1, but he deals psychic if he hurts the wrong thing?

It'd be tough mechanically to define "humans". None of the cards have that keyword, and even if you could have a master list somewhere... Sure, Baron Blade is and Omnitron isn't. Expatriette is and Tempest isn't. But what about say Naturalist? He's sometimes Human. Nightmist certainly WAS human, but now she's some wierd ghosty thing. A lot of Cypher is machine. Ra is a god, more than human? The Stranger... was a human?

You could have it punish him for hitting hero targets - but why are you doing that anyway? Maybe he is punished for hitting hero or environment targets, that could be tactically more interesting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Yorke
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I agree, like I said, it's tricky to work out the exact mechanic for this although having read this bit of trivia about the chip ...

Quote:
Based on available evidence, it would appear that the chip's activation trigger depended on the amount of pain Spike was intending to inflict, such as the chip activating after Spike simply tried to punch someone but triggering pain before he could fire a gun[6] or bite someone.

Maybe it could just be something like a card that gives spike +1 or +2 and then states that whenever spike would deal 3 or more damage he deals himself the same physical damage.

Obviously the numbers in that would need to be tweaked to best work but I thought it could maybe be a starting idea where the card would just work as a buff and didn't focus on the human/no-human aspect. As you said maybe the hero/environment target idea could also be a workable route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've thought about making 'human' a specifier in cards before, and just leaving the interpretation up to the players ("Tempest is obviously not human! Legacy is!")

Or you could just make it character cards and deal with the fact that sometimes the flavor will be wonky because that never happens in Sentinels of the Multiverse. :B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Webb
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Adelphophage wrote:
It's tough including drawbacks into Hero decks - they just won't play the card if that's all it is, perhaps it would need some upside too? Maybe a card that has increase all damage dealt by Spike by 1, but he deals psychic if he hurts the wrong thing?

It'd be tough mechanically to define "humans". None of the cards have that keyword, and even if you could have a master list somewhere... Sure, Baron Blade is and Omnitron isn't. Expatriette is and Tempest isn't. But what about say Naturalist? He's sometimes Human. Nightmist certainly WAS human, but now she's some wierd ghosty thing. A lot of Cypher is machine. Ra is a god, more than human? The Stranger... was a human?

You could have it punish him for hitting hero targets - but why are you doing that anyway? Maybe he is punished for hitting hero or environment targets, that could be tactically more interesting...

Designing drawbacks can be rough, but it helps to change the way you think about them.

Rather then being drawbacks, think of them as sacrifices. For example, Legacy Sacrifices himself taking 3 melee damage to make everyone else immune to damage for a turn. DW Mister Fixer sacrifices cards in play to deal more damage. There are 2 major factors to consider when designing these (imo):

1.) Does the sacrifice make a real decision for the player? Is it never worth sacrificing, making the card an obvious no no? Or is the card so essential to the Hero that it would be a terrible idea not to play it? (CCs Unflagging Animation.)

2.) Does the sacrifice meet the theme you are trying to bring out?
This is the onemost people focus on. If you can't get both of the above rules to work out, try breaking rule 2, then work out the logic as to why it fits your theme. This can help s lot with getting good ideas that work in the game.

One thing to remember though, a Sacrifice is not a Sacrifice if there is no inherent gain connected to the loss. As much as I love the Cauldron decks, I will never be a big fan of Necro because his deck does not directly connect loss to gain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Brown
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just jumping in to say that I really like what I've seen so far. Thanks Alexsandr for putting these together, and thanks to Adelphophage for arranging the art as they come along.

I really hope Printer Studio has no objection to printing these when the decks are finalized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
bobbertoriley322 wrote:
Just jumping in to say that I really like what I've seen so far. Thanks Alexsandr for putting these together, and thanks to Adelphophage for arranging the art as they come along.

I really hope Printer Studio has no objection to printing these when the decks are finalized.

For the record, Alexsander gave me most of the art to use, I just put it in the frames (and admittedly, suggest the odd change). The decks have been very fun to playtest so far though - Angelus is a real scary addition to our game nights!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Not really possible to fully capture the effect of Spike's chip, but what about something like:

Reduce damage dealt by Spike to other hero targets by 1.
Before Spike would deal damage he may deal himself 2 lightning damage to increase his next damage by 1 and make it irreducible.

If his deck had some all target damage, or anything that damaged allies that passive would be valuable, and then the take damage to deal irreducible damage would kind of fit the chip, letting him bypass the restraint on hurting allies but mechanically being useful in game too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Robertson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here for Spike going off the initial proposal of damaging himself when he harms another hero, I was thinking his deck is fairly prone to causing damage to be dealt both to and by him with other heroes to reflect his somewhat shifty status. The chip in exchange for the auto retribution on damaging a hero would prevent all damage from other Hero targets. He's no longer getting hit for being a threat, and so can play certain cards more freely, but also has to be more careful with others. Effectively a playstyle shift. Or it could be a promo card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Klein
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Dark Willow completed

Added link to Buffy's development thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Klein
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Changes:
Ethan Rayne and Anyanka added to villains list.
The Trio and Sweet are now Team Villains.
The Wishverse added to environments list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I played you some Buffyverse!

Of note, I started using Xander's base power wrong partway through the game (I mention where), which made the fight go a little faster, but I think having Fanatic in a game against Angelus is a good idea if you want to win hard, and I didn't really plan it that way. That said, I think both decks are really solid and I enjoyed the fight, for all that there's a lot of "oh god oh man" in there. XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Angelus is very nice design by Alskander. He's sort of in the same area as Mistress of Fate - he's not actually THAT hard, but you do pretty reliably lose people via Fixation (which about half of his cards play), so it always feels tense. The second turn Feast of Blood getting back Spike & Dru is harsh, though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At least they don't buff each other anymore, it's just one or both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.