Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » General

Subject: New Corp from Venus Next: Viron rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Couch
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reading this thread:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1803181/info-about-second-e...
The picture shows a new corp: Viron
It certainly starts with 48 MC and a bacteria symbol.
Edit Its ability says once per generation reuse a blue card.

Thanks to those below who posted the video link
What are peoples thoughts? I think (if this is what it says) it is interesting relative to UNMI - reusing birds for example is fairly close.
However a few cards would really let them shine - Martian rails, Electro Catapult, self replicating robots (the promo)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay B
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There is a review of TM Venus, where corp cards are shown in English:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiW__c0AtRE&t=215s
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robo Fish wrote:
The picture shows a new corp: Viron
It certainly starts with 48 MC and a bacteria symbol.
Its ability seems to say once per generation either reuse a blue card or remove the cube from a used blue card allowing reuse (It is almost the same, but one takes an extra action).

Can anyone confirm this?

If it's unchanged from the last beta version I know of, then it's "as an action, re-use a blue action card that you already used this generation".

Quote:
What are peoples thoughts? I think (if this is what it says) it is interesting relative to UNMI - reusing birds for example is fairly close.

You mean using Viron's ability on Birds (or Fish, or Livestock) would be somewhat comparable to using UNMI's ability? Yeah, sort of... I do think it's justified that Viron gets more starting money than UNMI overall.

Quote:
However a few cards would really let them shine - Martian rails, Electro Catapult, self replicating robots (the promo)

Agreed. Actions with card draw (AI Central especially) also benefit very nicely. And in some cases, you might happily use it on something like Aquifer Pumping as well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jaybmate wrote:
There is a review of TM Venus, where corp cards are shown in English:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiW__c0AtRE&t=215s


Didn't see that one yet surprise
Thought I had all the currently available information down from this thread and the one OP linked to. Anything else I missed?

Anyways Viron seems like an interesting one we can play with the base game too. Multiplying an animal card to get another point seems like an obvious use, but there can be many other depending on the cards you get. I like its iconography too
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay B
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
CBpegasus wrote:
jaybmate wrote:
There is a review of TM Venus, where corp cards are shown in English:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiW__c0AtRE&t=215s


Didn't see that one yet surprise
Thought I had all the currently available information down from this thread and the one OP linked to. Anything else I missed?

Anyways Viron seems like an interesting one we can play with the base game too. Multiplying an animal card to get another point seems like an obvious use, but there can be many other depending on the cards you get. I like its iconography too


The video hadn't yet been posted to the forums, only to the 'videos' section of TM Hellas & E. Expansion (as the video is also about that expansion).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meles meles
Poland
flag msg tools
As far as strategy Viron seems the opposite of UNMI. With UNMI you want the game to end as fast as possible, because the bonus doesn't ever get better. With Viron, you want to drag the game because you get more and more (fauna) cards, and combos between them are more potent. So Viron's ability will be used on better and better cards.

Overall I'm slightly disappointed. 3 out of 5 corporations have abilities seemingly tied to the new mini-board. Exceptions are Viron and Manutech. Manutech: whenever you increase production of a resource, including this (+1 steel/turn at start), you also get +that many of that resource. Interesting. So you get +4 energy production and the ability gives you 4 immediately. 35 money at start.

The other 3:

Morning Star Inc:
You draw 3 cards with Venus tag at start. Your requirements for Venus terraforming are +2/-2 steps, your choice, like Inventrix. Very similar to Inventrix except you're guaranteed to get cards that synergize with your ability, get slightly more money(50) and no science bonus. "V" tag instead of science tag on corp.

Celestic:
42 money, action: add a floater (cloud symbol) to ANY card.
At start, you reveal and draw 2 cards with a floater symbol. At the end of the game, you get x/3 victory points, where x is the number of floaters on this card.

Aphrodite:
47 money, 1 plant production. Whenever Venus is terraformed a step, you gain 2 MC.

Viron has microbe tag, Manutech - steel/building tag, the rest have V (Venus) tag.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Espie
msg tools
mb
Snapshot wrote:
Robo Fish wrote:
The picture shows a new corp: Viron
It certainly starts with 48 MC and a bacteria symbol.
Its ability seems to say once per generation either reuse a blue card or remove the cube from a used blue card allowing reuse (It is almost the same, but one takes an extra action).

Can anyone confirm this?

If it's unchanged from the last beta version I know of, then it's "as an action, re-use a blue action card that you already used this generation".



That seems too powerful. Together with attack fleet and titanium production, that would be incredibly powerful.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
maxyoupi wrote:
Snapshot wrote:
Robo Fish wrote:
The picture shows a new corp: Viron
It certainly starts with 48 MC and a bacteria symbol.
Its ability seems to say once per generation either reuse a blue card or remove the cube from a used blue card allowing reuse (It is almost the same, but one takes an extra action).

Can anyone confirm this?

If it's unchanged from the last beta version I know of, then it's "as an action, re-use a blue action card that you already used this generation".



That seems too powerful. Together with attack fleet and titanium production, that would be incredibly powerful.


Really doesn't seem too powerful... Your example is 1 more point for titanium each generation, as if you had another security fleet card. You need a bit of setup here - the security fleet card and at least 2 titanium production - and then the corp's abillity is similar and probably not better than UNMI (doesn't have to terraform but pays with titanium and doesn't increase income).

Copying fish/birds/livestock is better but can only be done later. Other action cards are also cool possibilities but nothing is game breaking, no more than if you had another copy of that card...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't thought of Security Fleet yet, but comboing Viron with that would end you up with a 2 VP/gen engine - the same as when you get Physics Complex running. So

Physics Complex
6+ energy production

vs

Security Fleet
2+ titanium production
be Viron (and tie up their only "special" to do this for the rest of the game)

Kinda sexy, but not game-breaking IMHO. It has the same pitfalls as Physics Complex too - if you want to start churning out points like that early, most of your engine-building goes into this. Getting 2 titanium production isn't much cheaper than getting 6 power either... you can get Titanium Mine for 9 7 and, I dunno, Vesta Shipyard for 15. Or get 2 from Asteroid Mining for 30.

TL,DR: Unless you think that Physics Complex is OP, then I wouldn't worry about this Viron-specific combo.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Snapshot wrote:
I hadn't thought of Security Fleet yet, but comboing Viron with that would end you up with a 2 VP/gen engine - the same as when you get Physics Complex running. So

Physics Complex
6+ energy production

vs

Security Fleet
2+ titanium production
be Viron (and tie up their only "special" to do this for the rest of the game)

Kinda sexy, but not game-breaking IMHO. It has the same pitfalls as Physics Complex too - if you want to start churning out points like that early, most of your engine-building goes into this. Getting 2 titanium production isn't much cheaper than getting 6 power either... you can get Titanium Mine for 9 and, I dunno, Vesta Shipyard for 15. Or get 2 from Asteroid Mining for 30.

TL,DR: Unless you think that Physics Complex is OP, then I wouldn't worry about this Viron-specific combo.


What I really want to see is Viron + Physics Complex + 12 energy production
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I was thinking Equatorial Magnetizer would be a good target for Viron's ability. You'd need a lot of energy production, but that can be bought with standard actions; Standard Technology would combo well here in that case.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Couch
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CBpegasus wrote:
Snapshot wrote:
I hadn't thought of Security Fleet yet, but comboing Viron with that would end you up with a 2 VP/gen engine - the same as when you get Physics Complex running. So

Physics Complex
6+ energy production

vs

Security Fleet
2+ titanium production
be Viron (and tie up their only "special" to do this for the rest of the game)

Kinda sexy, but not game-breaking IMHO. It has the same pitfalls as Physics Complex too - if you want to start churning out points like that early, most of your engine-building goes into this. Getting 2 titanium production isn't much cheaper than getting 6 power either... you can get Titanium Mine for 9 and, I dunno, Vesta Shipyard for 15. Or get 2 from Asteroid Mining for 30.

TL,DR: Unless you think that Physics Complex is OP, then I wouldn't worry about this Viron-specific combo.


What I really want to see is Viron + Physics Complex + 12 energy production

We saw it on Monday night. Early Physics complex with 12 power. Netted him 32 points. He still came last (not by much) crushed by the might of Manutech
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Couch
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talmanes wrote:
I was thinking Equatorial Magnetizer would be a good target for Viron's ability. You'd need a lot of energy production, but that can be bought with standard actions; Standard Technology would combo well here in that case.
For me, this is like playing a bad version of UNMI. Works the same except you have to pony up a power rather than 3 MC. Power is always harder to find. And UNMI are terrible.
I'm convinced that money or card generation is what they are about.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Goumas
msg tools
I have a question about this corporation. The text on the corporation can be interpreted differently if the blue card has multiple actions. The way I would interpret this corporation is that you can use the blue card again but different actions but the text almost leads you to read it that you have to do the exact same action again, thus making the Viron weak on multi-action cards.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karel pepiku
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mgoumas wrote:
I have a question about this corporation. The text on the corporation can be interpreted differently if the blue card has multiple actions. The way I would interpret this corporation is that you can use the blue card again but different actions but the text almost leads you to read it that you have to do the exact same action again, thus making the Viron weak on multi-action cards.

Can anyone help?

Thanks


You can reactivate any action on that card, not only the same action again.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor Toth

Ludenzia
msg tools
Can you activate with VIRON all of your blue cards during one generation or only one of them? (From the translated version I have it's not obvious.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Parker
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one action on one blue card that has already used its action this generation.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.