Subject: What do you think of this monthly board game subscription idea? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
János Hunyadi
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/301004373/qst-the-table...

I'm really curious about the community opinion on this one. If it was done with plenty of advance planning and careful design, play-testing, etc. I think it could be pretty good. That said, I am just not convinced that they can give their rolling cast of designers and artists really enough time to do this concept justice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First Created, but says, "This is not the first Kickstarter or tabletop game project for the principal team members of QST. We collectively have produced MANY products." Doesn't say much more, but I didn't dig deeper.

Shipping to USA alone is an extra $65. For the amount of money they're asking, you could get three or four more games that you have a better idea of.

I guess if you like the concept artists (half are from the comics) and game developers, then, great, back the project. But these games could also have been games that publishers didn't accept, or might appear later in published form.

I know there was another KS of several game designers maybe a year or something ago. Does anyone know how that one went? There's also Stonehenge, a game that shows that you can have some good names, but not necessarily a good game.

Just the usual risk of buying a game without knowing more than the designer, I suppose...

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/20436/stonehenge-antholo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Portage
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystery buying of board games I see as too high of a risk on the consumer and too high of a cost on the industry. I don't want to support this business plan.
I like the idea of just getting together talent like this and seeing what they can churn out but the restrictions this kickstarter will have just kinda kills my hope. I've got to hope there's a better way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't understand the appeal of subscription boxes. Just take your money and buy what you want and don't worry about getting crap you don't need.

Seems like they exist as thoughtless presents to gift to someone else. "Oh he's a geek, instead of shopping for a present I will be lazy and gift him a subscription to a geek based subscription box."

Meanwhile this is an excuse for the company to dump unwanted games on someone with the vague promise they will get something they want.

Ok, im do e ranting. I am going to go chase some kids off my lawn now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Sounds terrible. Churning out games on an increasingly tight schedule just to get a game out. Hoping to lure people in by all the exclusivity crap. Blech.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Posa
United States
Lebanon
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This reminds me of similar subscription plans in the record world. Several labels (Sub Pop, Merge, Thrill Jockey) had very successful runs with this model, and some of those records are worth quite a lot nowadays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like to pay MSRP for games I already know I like.

Pete (thinks thi monthly game box is for people who don't like money)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shawn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope that ace designers like Cathala don't use their good ideas on a game that has been rushed to production, it would be such a waste.

At first this subscription box seemed like a good idea (mainly because of the names attached). But the more I think about it, pumping out boardgames monthly goes against the idea of spending time carefully crafting and playtesting a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools

I choose games that I already know something about and that I think or know I will like, and that I feel the creators felt 'compelled' to make. That is that they had a concept or idea in their head that really needed to be turned into a game, and they then took the (considerable) time and trouble to develop. There are currently more games of this description available on the market on my shelves than I could satisfactorily play in two lifetimes.

Buying games sight-unseen, which have been created because somebody wants to make money and has put game creators on a tight schedule to do so--not because somebody had a compelling idea for a game--sounds VERY distateful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no designer who I would trust blindly or whose games I always like. And the creators of the project clearly overestimate the "superstar" appeal of their teams. Let me give my thoughts on them...

Concept: Paul Dini and R.A. Salvatore seem excellent choices, but I'm not sure about the few others I know. I think Brom and John Kovalic would feel more at home in the art team. And Nolan Bushnell?! That is really an odd choice.

Design: Out of the thirteen, only the two Brunos would make me research a game based on their name. The others have never impressed me, and some I don't even know.

Art: The only name I recognize is Vincent Dutrait.

And someone has already mentioned Stonehenge, which had a similar concept and quite mediocre games - including some from designers participating in this new project. But I'm curious to see how far it goes, with the $600,000 funding goal. I understand why they set it so high, but I will be surprised if it reaches even a tenth of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like the subscription model for many of the reasons above. Even from a designer I generally like, I may not like a particular game. I don't buy a game unless I've played it and I like it enough to add it to my collection.

Also, look at the economics: $14 per game. Minus shipping costs, plus (lack of) distribution cost and retailer margin. So, maybe equivalent to $25 MSRP??? That doesn't seem like the kind of games you buy, OP. And...

Low production numbers. Are thousands of people going to sign up for this herd of pigs in a poke? I doubt it, which means the games will have to be simple and low quality; the reason Monopoly is so cheap is huge volume. Think about Treefrog Games: people knew they were getting a Martin Wallace design; he designs very consistently; and still the limited edition version were $100 or so, largely because of the low quantity.

Maybe 504 (504 different games) would give you something like what attracts you to this?

Or, games tend to come out in pulses, like around Essen. Set aside $200 to make a free-shipping order twice a year from an OLGS. You'll only get about half as many games (depending on publisher), but they'll be the quality you're used to. Whether you research or buy random, you may do better than this KS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a fan of the subscription game concept either; earlier posters have covered the numerous reasons why.

I think back to my days as a Strategy & Tactics subscriber in the '70s, each bi-monthly issue including a wargame. For every game I thought was very good or better, there were 2-3 games I found weak, or had no interest in the subject matter.

I don't care what anyone promises, top designers are not going to put their best work into these efforts. Stonehenge was mentioned -- it's a great example of a superstar-designer clunker. Even if the first game is well-received, subscribers are gambling that they are going to get their money's worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timmo Warner
msg tools
mbmb
I like the idea of getting a cheapish mystery game every month. Some will be awful, hopefully some will be fun, but they'd certainly be interesting checking them out.

(Also, I LIKE getting mystery boxes monthly. Right now I get the Curiosity crate. It only comes 4 times a year but the stuff in it is interesting and high quality and always includes an actual book on science or something related.)

That said, I don't have enough confidence in this KS to back it. IF it funds I'll wish I had backed at the cheaper price, but I'll wait to see if they actually get in business before I trust throwing money at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like an even worse version of the Calliope Games "Titan Series" Kickstarter. I haven't heard anything about the "Titan Series," since the Kickstarter ended (I didn't back it). A search indicates 3 of the games were released in 2016.

I'm OK with gambling with games on Kickstarter, but these seem like bad bets to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The value proposition here doesn't work for me. Living in Canada, shipping costs more than the game which is a real bummer. Plus I've already got a shelf filled with games that I enjoy and wish got more play.

That said, I'm not opposed to the idea. A big reason why I still buy games is curiosity about rule systems and designs - and this is an interesting experiment in that regard. You have to assume that for $18 every other month (assuming you live in the US) you'll get a potentially interesting, although probably not great, game sent your way. Knowing that all games are original works is a huge selling point for me because it removes fear of duplicates.

This reminds me of wargame magazines, which are something I've subscribed to in the past. Two big differences with the magazines: you receive some written content along with a game, and wargamers tend to be more accepting of bad games if they are presenting an interesting viewpoint about the historical event.

By far the wargame subscription I enjoyed most was to Battles Magazine - but the price was high and the release schedule erratic and unpredictable. Eventually the magazine ran out of steam and now appears to be defunct; my subscription was fulfilled before that happened but I'm not sure about others.

If this KickStarter is successful, I have strong doubts that they can keep their proposed schedule while still providing any reasonable quality control on designs and components. Expectations going in should be low, and it's not a sure thing in my mind that they will meet all subscription commitments.

Warnings about Stonehenge: An Anthology Board Game seem apt. In this case I'd expect similar quality of games, although hopefully with better artwork since that's going to be customized for each game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Garbage. I would never want to receive board games blindly. I love tons and tons of games, but still research before I buy. Also, I tend to like heavy to super-heavy games and I would bet dollars to donuts the games they ship out are ultra-light Cracker Jack games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They've got enough people there for 12 independent teams, which gives each team 2 years to make its game. I don't think they'll be particularly rushed (unless they wait until the previous game is out to start on the next one)

That being said, I don't want to buy one mystery game for $28 (including shipping) so the notion that I could do that transaction lots of times isn't going to convince me to join in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
x_equals_speed wrote:
They've got enough people there for 12 independent teams, which gives each team 2 years to make its game. I don't think they'll be particularly rushed (unless they wait until the previous game is out to start on the next one)

That being said, I don't want to buy one mystery game for $28 (including shipping) so the notion that I could do that transaction lots of times isn't going to convince me to join in.

Err… how do you figure each team will have 2 years to complete their game? The first game is set to ship in March 2018, roughly 6 months after campaign end. Then a new game is set to ship every month after that.

So if all teams start working immediately after the campaign ends, the team with the last game will have about 18 months to get it finished, manufactured, and shipped. The first team has about 7 months (since the very first game is supposedly already done).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SpecularRain wrote:
x_equals_speed wrote:

Err… how do you figure each team will have 2 years to complete their game? The first game is set to ship in March 2018, roughly 6 months after campaign end. Then a new game is set to ship every month after that.

So if all teams start working immediately after the campaign ends, the team with the last game will have about 18 months to get it finished, manufactured, and shipped. The first team has about 7 months (since the very first game is supposedly already done).

The main difference between our conclusions is that mine is based on a game every two months and yours is based on a game every month. I based this on the phrase "EVERY OTHER MONTH!" which they decided to write in all caps and bold.

Indeed I'm describing the pace that they'd need to work at indefinitely because I was interested in whether the games would be rushed or not in general. You're right that they wouldn't that the full time period for the first few games, but it also seems like you wouldn't embark on a project like this without doing some ground work, I doubt all of those people are signed up with no notion of what they're going to do if it funds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
x_equals_speed wrote:
SpecularRain wrote:
x_equals_speed wrote:

The main difference between our conclusions is that mine is based on a game every two months and yours is based on a game every month. I based this on the phrase "EVERY OTHER MONTH!" which they decided to write in all caps and bold.

Indeed I'm describing the pace that they'd need to work at indefinitely because I was interested in whether the games would be rushed or not in general. You're right that they wouldn't that the full time period for the first few games, but it also seems like you wouldn't embark on a project like this without doing some ground work, I doubt all of those people are signed up with no notion of what they're going to do if it funds.

Ah, I just read the update that they have changed from a new game every month to a new game every two months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I just saw the page today so didn't know it was a change.

Of course if they were originally planning on a new one every month and edited it then they've clearly not got a long term plan based on having to do it every two months
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van der Lee
Netherlands
Bussum
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if I didn't distrust the sudden doubling of the delivery time and the long list of famous names involved versus the near total lack of any PR effort, the shipping costs are just through the roof.

I hope it isn't a scam, but it smells a lot like it.

Edit; seems their price and shipping plans are just about cut in half from last time I looked. Frankly... it's starting to stink.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Lackey" Portney
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why were no women invited to be part of this project?

They have the gumption of put together a hand-picked all-star team of designers and artists from scratch, and they fail to put effort into including any women at all?

This boggles my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiji Kobayashi
Japan
flag msg tools
Have any of those named individuals mentioned, or even hinted at something like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tynes wrote:
Even if I didn't distrust the sudden doubling of the delivery time and the long list of famous names involved versus the near total lack of any PR effort, the shipping costs are just through the roof.

I hope it isn't a scam, but it smells a lot like it.

Edit; seems their price and shipping plans are just about cut in half from last time I looked. Frankly... it's starting to stink.

They dropped the price because they are now only delivering 6 games in 12 months, and the subscription is for 12 months. So the pledge will only get you 6 games instead of 12. (Well, plus that "13th bonus game", so 7 instead of 13).

There is an update about it, but it's not exactly crystal clear…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.