John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
to take advantage of the "buildings mini pack" and other KS add-ons you purchased?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
John_VW wrote:
to take advantage of the "buildings mini pack" and other KS add-ons you purchased?

I bought the "giant map" expressly for this purpose, as I think to get a really good experience will all the extra content it will be essential.

Initially all of them ...

- Kingdom Cards
- Forts/Settlements
- Relics and Holy Places
- Lagertha/Ragnar
- Churches
- Legend Cards
- Epic Battles
- Kings of England
- Viking Ship Markers
- Rune and Prayer Dice

From there we'll see what works and what doesn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew P.
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to mixing and matching all of them, but I wanna roll those Rune and Prayer Dice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P M
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
We only have two play throughs in, but in the first game (out of excitement) we tried to use as many expansions as we could (I think we used all but the relics & holy sites). It was a little much, but I think we were being a little to ambitions for the first play through (even though we demoed it at Origins) and it took away from the flow of the game a little.

So for the second play through here is what we used and the game had the outstanding flow that the base game alone has. These expansions were seamlessly interwoven into the game...

1. Ragnar and Lagertha
2. War for Land & Gods (churches and forts)
3. Epic Battle Events
4. Viking Ships

Things went great. I would suggest using those four in your first few plays.

But honestly, looking at many of the others, I think they will be an easy transition and add a lot to the game after we have played a few more times. We plan on playing the previous four expansions next game and add another one or two each time we play.

Looks like we are going to go with the "Kings" and "Legends" expansion next.

Then probably add "Runes & Prayer"

After that add "Kingdoms"

Finally add "Relics & Holy Sites"

It's a great game! I don't necessarily think you need to play with all 9 on any given game and I honestly don't think we will play many games with all 9. I like the idea of mixing and matching to give it a different feel each game. Part of the strength of this game (and others in the series) is the fairly low complexity with high strategy, easy flow of the game, and fun factor. Hope this helps, let me know your thoughts on the expansions as you play them, I would be curious to hear what you think.

Pete
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

Glad to hear that the "mixing and matching" of the various expansions is working out for everyone We are excited to hear more and more about peoples' experiences with 878 Vikings now that many of you have a copy of the game in your hands from Gen Con

Rolling those Rune and Prayer dice is really quite fun, Andrew laugh

Aiden
Academy Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeteM41 wrote:

So for the second play through here is what we used and the game had the outstanding flow that the base game alone has. These expansions were seamlessly interwoven into the game...

1. Ragnar and Lagertha
2. War for Land & Gods (churches and forts)
3. Epic Battle Events
4. Viking Ships

Things went great. I would suggest using those four in your first few plays.

What are your thoughts on churches (in the game of course )?

After reading the rules and the second victory condition, my initial thought was that it is going to force the Viking Player(s) very early on to decide on a victory route, since churches are an all or nothing win.

Edited - added quote
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hirsch
msg tools
mb
I just got my copy yesterday but after reading through the rules I'm going have my first game adding Ragnar & Lagertha because I'm a huge fan of the TV show and I'll also be using the Runes & Prayer dice as it makes combat a lot more interesting (at least on paper).

Once I get a few games under my belt I plan on adding the buildings, Kingdom cards, Kings, Legends cards, and Epic Battle cards which all seem very interesting.

I'm sure eventually though, I'll be playing with all of them lol!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilo Delta
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd at the very least add the buildings and ships. Playing without them is pretty bare bones. Go from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Geijuutsuka wrote:
I'd at the very least add the buildings and ships. Playing without them is pretty bare bones. Go from there.

If the current invading Viking is Ivar "The Boneless" Ragnarsson, is it still "bare bones" ? laugh

I'll be here all week

Aiden
Academy Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.