Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asking for a friend that owns the Elder Wand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Norel-Wilson
Scotland
Loanhead
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
International Man of Mediocrity
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always played that you can play a spell even if it has no actual effect, for the purposes of gaining the Elder Wand bonus.

A similar case would be to play Lumos when the Basilisk is in play - nothing explicitly stops you playing the spell, it just has no actual effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phil_nw wrote:
I've always played that you can play a spell even if it has no actual effect, for the purposes of gaining the Elder Wand bonus.

A similar case would be to play Lumos when the Basilisk is in play - nothing explicitly stops you playing the spell, it just has no actual effect.

This was my thinking. However, there is a subtle difference. With Lumos, you have a valid target: a card you are trying to draw. You are just prevented from finishing the card instructions.

Here, no valid target even exists.

That said, the concept of "target" died get exist in this game, so I dint think urban matters. (It's just a remnant in mind from other games like Magic: The Gathering.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Goodnight
United States
Newmarket
NH
flag msg tools
mbmb
The rules never specify any times when you can or can't play cards(there is a specific exception in the expansion, but it's not relevant here), so there is no mechanism in the game for being unable to play a spell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Shhakedown
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Grahamers2002 wrote:
Asking for a friend that owns the Elder Wand.

I believe it's mentioned in the FAQs, but yes you can play Finite even without control tokens on the location to count toward the Elder Wand.
Just like if Basilisk was out, Hermoine could play Lumos with no effect and it would count as a spell played toward her ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The post you are all thinking of is likely this one:

Re: Can't draw more cards this turn and card drawing effect cards (Game 3 Spoiler)

Graham has an interesting point in that the difference between Lumos and Finite is that Lumos has a valid target while Finite does not. Given that this is game's target audience is new players, I am inclined to think that Andrew would not want to make that complicated of a differentiation. Not that I am the final authority on the matter, but I would be inclined to say that Finite is a legal play unless Andrew chimes in otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.