Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Sanches
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If you don't need tweezers to play the game, it is not a wargame!
mb
When you click on your flag, it shows all the people in that country in alphabetical order. It would be nice if that page also showed when that person was last on the site.

Sure, you can click on the profile, but 90% of them haven't been on the site in 2017. It wastes a lot of time going through all these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, that post would be better placed in BGG suggestions; maybe a Mod can move it.

Second, I totally agree and maybe that way of displaying users can be expanded. For example, when you use the gamer search when looking for other gamers in your area or searching for users that have a certain game in their wishlist for potential trade offers.

Instead of displaying the last login date how about sorting the users by that date as default? That way you would not need to click through sometimes several pages of users to see which ones were on the site recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools

IMO the less this information is available and the harder it is to access the better.
Why does the world need to know when I've logged into a website?
We start by giving up that small bit of privacy and then think it's OK to take just a little bit more and a little bit more...until the water's boiling and the frog dies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tanik wrote:
..until the water's boiling and the frog dies.

... that went downhill fast shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos horst
Netherlands
groningen
groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tanik wrote:

IMO the less this information is available and the harder it is to access the better.
We start by giving up that small bit of privacy and then think it's OK to take just a little bit more and a little bit more...until the water's boiling and the frog dies.

Relatable thoughts, but you don't necessarily need to log in, and you don't need to expose your real name and location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb
tanik wrote:

To know if I should bother to send a trade offer, for one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Agree.

sweetgotham wrote:
tanik wrote:

Don't lie! You surely have sinister ideas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperGLS wrote:
Agree.

sweetgotham wrote:
tanik wrote:

Don't lie! You surely have sinister ideas!

SHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! ninjaninjaninjaninjaninjaninjaninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools

gamesbook wrote:
tanik wrote:
..until the water's boiling and the frog dies.

... that went downhill fast shake

Actually, it's meant to reflect a slow process.

hojoh wrote:
tanik wrote:

Relatable thoughts, but you don't necessarily need to log in, and you don't need to expose your real name and location.

No, and I don't use my real name on websites, but I don't religiously hide who I am either because personal transactions need to be real.

sweetgotham wrote:
tanik wrote:

It's perfectly possible to send me a trade offer regardless of whether or not I've logged in today--or recently. You may just have to wait a day or two or more to hear back from me. I get trade offers that way, now. I'm really not sure what's gained by this.
However, I guess it could be something you could turn on or off as it suits you, but part of the reason for my objection is to push back against the constant pressure to reveal more and more of our personal or private information. It seems like a completely harmless thing to do, but the boiling frog analogy is about how little bits seem harmless at the time, until you realize that the accumulation of them brings you to a place you don't want to be--but by then it's too late.
Sorry for the gloom.
I'll endeavour to be cheerier tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos horst
Netherlands
groningen
groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tanik wrote:

It's perfectly possible to send me a trade offer regardless of whether or not I've logged in today--or recently. You may just have to wait a day or two or more to hear back from me. I get trade offers that way, now. I'm really not sure what's gained by this.

I like to trade local, and scan user accounts from my neighbourhood. About half of those accounts haven't been used for a year or more. I could send a trade offer, and keep my fingers crossed - religions are based on this routine - but I'd rather not. Filtering of some kind would be useful. A stealth mode should be optional, I agree with you there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tanik wrote:

I certainly understand why some users do not want to have their last login date displayed to everyone. However, I also try to see the other side where sending geekmails about trade offers or to search for gaming partners can be quite frustrating with the number of "dead" accounts in the system. That's why I suggested to make "last login" the default ranking in an user search. That way that info can be kept internal but the person looking will know that people at the top are more likely to respond than the users at the bottom of the list. I think this would ensure both privacy as well as preventing frustrating searches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mb
huskerdude wrote:
When you click on your flag, it shows all the people in that country in alphabetical order. It would be nice if that page also showed when that person was last on the site.

Sure, you can click on the profile, but 90% of them haven't been on the site in 2017. It wastes a lot of time going through all these.

I also would like to know when users are inactive, but implemented a different way.

Basically, an 'Inactive' badge displayed in the avatar block after say 3 months, just like 'New user' gets displayed for the first month.

Inactive badge in avatar block

In that thread, someone has provided a Grease Monkey script that displays a configurable icon in the avatar block representing how long ago the user logged in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
odie73 wrote:
tanik wrote:

I certainly understand why some users do not want to have their last login date displayed to everyone. However, I also try to see the other side where sending geekmails about trade offers or to search for gaming partners can be quite frustrating with the number of "dead" accounts in the system.

Nothing prevents you sending a geekmail, and as has been noted many have those forwarded to email and may respond whether they've logged in or not. On the other hand, some people won't respond even though they log in every day.

It's simple, really. Just send your geekmail and let the response (or lack thereof) dictate whether you make the trade offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
odie73 wrote:
tanik wrote:

I certainly understand why some users do not want to have their last login date displayed to everyone. However, I also try to see the other side where sending geekmails about trade offers or to search for gaming partners can be quite frustrating with the number of "dead" accounts in the system.

Nothing prevents you sending a geekmail, and as has been noted many have those forwarded to email and may respond whether they've logged in or not. On the other hand, some people won't respond even though they log in every day.

Of course, I can send a geekmail to everyone who shows up in a search without looking at their login date. And 9 out of 10 will not garner a response which means wasted time on my side. From the ones that respond I have then to pick one and apologize to the others. More wasted time on both sides.

Just recently, someone also asked in another thread for other gamers in Gibraltar. That's easy to find simply by clicking on the flag and getting about 3 pages of users. However, of the dozen or so I clicked on no one has been logged in for at least one year. Some accounts were not active for more than 5 years.

I am not a software engineer so correct me if I am wrong but displaying user names by last login instead of alphabetically does not sound very difficult to implement. And this would certainly be useful to at least some users here while I have a hard time coming up with any practical advantages of sorting users alphabetically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
odie73 wrote:
And this would certainly be useful to at least some users here while I have a hard time coming up with any practical advantages of sorting users alphabetically.

Seriously? The only way I've ever looked up users is alphabetically, for example if I want to find an article they've written or send them a geekmail. You're thinking about it in terms of what you want to do right now, but consider how long the site has been running without the lookup you request. If it were as badly needed as you suggest, how many threads would there have been requesting it over the last 15 years?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That function had existed previously; see Koldfoot's post above. Plus, the request has been made before and apparently not for the first time either: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/5400145
The fact that you can click in the user search on "has avatar" sounds to me like a "band aid" to fix that exact problem: Distinguishing active from non-active users.

Not sure what your examples are supposed to show. Why would you need to see the user names alphabetically to see what article they have written? Would it not be more likely to find someone who has actually contributed to the site when that user was logged in recently? (I am not even sure if we are even talking about the same search here as your results would be articles; not a list of user names.)

Maybe you do not need that function but I doubt you would be negatively affected if it existed.

And just to show the OP's likely problem. Here is the list of user names he gets when looking for other gamers in Nepal: https://boardgamegeek.com/users/page/1?country=Nepal
Lots of fun searching through them to figure out which one may still be around and interested in some gaming, a local trade etc. or sending them all geekmails to get maybe a handful of responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
odie73 wrote:
That function had existed previously; see Koldfoot's post above. Plus, the request has been made before and apparently not for the first time either: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/5400145

So you think the fact it was discarded many years ago and never brought back strengthens your argument that it is necessary?

odie73 wrote:

The fact that you can click in the user search on "has avatar" sounds to me like a "band aid" to fix that exact problem: Distinguishing active from non-active users.

That makes no sense - the newest users on the site are often here some while before they get an avatar. The "has avatar" is a useful filter if you're searching for someone that you know has one.

odie73 wrote:

Not sure what your examples are supposed to show. Why would you need to see the user names alphabetically to see what article they have written? Would it not be more likely to find someone who has actually contributed to the site when that user was logged in recently? (I am not even sure if we are even talking about the same search here as your results would be articles; not a list of user names.)

If I have an article in mind, don't recall the title but know who wrote it, I'll search for the user. Or if I want to call someone's attention to another article, I'll use the 'Search' feature to find them so I can send them a geekmail.

odie73 wrote:
Maybe you do not need that function but I doubt you would be negatively affected if it existed.

I'm not claiming I'd be negatively impacted, but there aren't enough programmers working for BGG to provide every requested feature. They must pick and choose to get the most bang for the buck; and in these request threads people discuss how much interest they have in proposed features. You obviously rank this one as more useful than I do, which is fine - we needn't agree.

odie73 wrote:
And just to show the OP's likely problem. Here is the list of user names he gets when looking for other gamers in Nepal: https://boardgamegeek.com/users/page/1?country=Nepal
Lots of fun searching through them to figure out which one may still be around and interested in some gaming, a local trade etc. or sending them all geekmails to get maybe a handful of responses.

Personally if I were looking for gamers in a particular geographic area, I'd check out their user pages to see what we have in common before contacting them. It's a diverse community and the fact somebody has an account here doesn't automatically mean I'd want to play a game with them. While checking out their gaming interests, I'd see their most recent login.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.