Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm offering this thread as a place to post cool moments from play without doing a full session report.

Last night I tried the Powers Long Forgotten scenario with two spirits and found all the powers on turn 1. Never flipped a blank. I moved some Dahan together: boom. The only build with a token: boom. Explored a land with a city: boom. All other tokens are meaningless.

One of the powers was the extra cost to move invaders. 90% sure I forgot more than once when using Keeper's innate to push explorers. That's a hard one to remember!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanouil Karakostas
Greece
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice thread!

Me , last night, 2 spirits solo. Shadows Flicker, and Vital Strength against Prussians Level 1.

All was lost at Year (turn) 7, while my land was Blighted and there were only 2 blights left.

Sands were about to be ravaged next turn, so i throw all my attention at those lands, throwing every Fast power at my disposal.

I prepared the defenses as good as i can, and starting to resolve.
They were afraid also....
After resolving my Fast powers An event gives me Defend 4 at all coastal lands, which many of them were sands!!! SAVED !!

but it was not over!!!

Turn 8 , the same situation, and now i'm cornered at the Mountains!!

Same Fast preparations , reclaiming of cards, and prayers!
Fear was taking its toll, to the Prussians.
I was at Fear Level 3, but there were 4 Cities, and 5 after building...

My Fast powers that time, were not that good, and rewarding...

Event Phase!
One Fear card was remaining to scare them full .

A choice has been made that removed one Fear card, and leading me to victory!
8 energy to be paid!!
Have Them!!!
WIIIIN!!!! First time against Level 1 Prussians!!!!

What a game! what an experience! my brain was hot after all this struggle!! totally worth it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Less a cool strategic moment (that's the whole game for me) than it was just a cool thematic moment.

We just got to Fear 3 as Lightning Swift Strikes and Rivers God (sorry for blowing the names!) and on the last turn we were able to both rain fire and flood down on the biggest city centers for the win, but also devastating the island itself. We had Tsunami off the coast and a giant fireball hit inland. I just imagined what that day/month would look like for the poor invaders as it becomes crystal clear that they are not paranoid and the island is truly out to get them.

I love how many moments there are like this in the game as well! Great idea for the thread!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynk Fox
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When reading the forums this morning I had to go check the rule book... only to realize I've been Cascading Blight wrong... Ive been putting one in -every- adjacent land. Not just one.

Well. No wonder wildfire seemed like such a hard spirit to play...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lynkfox wrote:
When reading the forums this morning I had to go check the rule book... only to realize I've been Cascading Blight wrong... Ive been putting one in -every- adjacent land. Not just one.

Well. No wonder wildfire seemed like such a hard spirit to play...

I play them similar to outbreaks from Pandemic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My screw up was exploring the action as long as there were adjacent invaders. Turns out you only explore if they are adjacent TOWNS or CITIES (which means an adjacent explorer will not allow a new explorer).

It's even in an example in the rulebook and I missed it in my first five plays. No wonder my board was flooded with explorers. I was wondering how you all won your first few games and said it was too easy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yost
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy the experience of taking a gain and seeing that a card perfectly matches my board state and does exactly what I need at the time, especially for cards I had never used before.

My first (retail) game I tried River and Ocean. In the far corner of the board was an invader stronghold that I just couldn't breach. It kept cascading blight until I had almost run out of spaces to cascade into. Then Ocean scooped up The Land Thrashes in Furious Pain which checked all the right boxes - it has a big range boost on it so Ocean can reach out and touch someone, and it hammers hard in blighted land clusters. That card was able to do enough damage and create enough fear to win the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yost
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SgtTenor wrote:

I play them similar to outbreaks from Pandemic.

I can't tell if you're joking on the internet - you know that's not how it goes right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I encourage everyone new-ish to the game to take a look at the [url]https://querki.net/u/darker/spirit-island-faq/#!Rules-semi-c...]Rules semi-commonly misplayed[/url] on the FAQ site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Reis
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmb
familygaming wrote:
My screw up was exploring the action as long as there were adjacent invaders. Turns out you only explore if they are adjacent TOWNS or CITIES (which means an adjacent explorer will not allow a new explorer).

It's even in an example in the rulebook and I missed it in my first five plays. No wonder my board was flooded with explorers. I was wondering how you all won your first few games and said it was too easy...

Wait WHAT?
(Goes and looks at the rule book)
Argg, now I feel even better about my two wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a little moment, but I was happy winning in the growth phase.
Playing Wildfire, I dropped presence and did 3 damage to the last city on the board, generating the last 2 fear we needed it hit terror level 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mbmbmbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Brownsmith
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SnarksandBoojums wrote:

Playing Wildfire, I dropped presence and did 3 damage to the last city on the board, generating the last 2 fear we needed it hit terror level 3.

Quote:
[City], my love for you couldn't get any higher.
If you love [something], set it on fire

(With apologies to The Dead Milkmen who am I kidding, they wouldn't care. =) )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
The problem in the equation is people. Eliminate that, everything works.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing a 2 spirit solitaire scenario (Sharp Fangs and Keep of the Forbidden Wilds aka Angry Groot), adversary is the French and scenario is Powers Long Forgotten.

Event card: Coming of Age, lets me put 1 extra Dahan down on a spot with 2 Dahan... boom, I discover a power, just before the French would have built there and discovered it themselves.

Picture a young boy, just coming of age, wandering through the mountains. He sees a party of the strange foreign invaders approaching. Quickly looking for a way to hide, he sees some overgrown bushes, and behind them a cave. He pushes in and discovers a sandy shifting form, a lost sand spirit, willing to guide him to safety out a back tunnel, and serve the cause from then on.

Spirits may shift their presence from Sands to another at any time.

We'll see how handy this is, but I like the story the cards told.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
The problem in the equation is people. Eliminate that, everything works.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch memory.

3rd time playing Sharp Fangs and Keep of the Forbidden Wilds vs. France. This time I dropped it down to base level so I'd have a chance.

Early in the game, I've only lost 1 blight. Then I get this combo:

Event: Sacred Sites Under Threat
I'm forced to remove 2 blight, leaving me only 1.

He only ravages 1 spot this turn, but that takes my last blight. I turn over the Healthy Island card and see:
TIPPING POINT
Immediately destroy 3 presence from each Spirit!

It's hard to get presence on board with those 2. Both have only 3. Boom, dead.

DEAD!!!

Damn the French.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
I unintentionally read under France's loss condition as 7 towns being in the pool, rather than 7 towns per player. My friend and I (using Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares + Lightning's Quick Strike) surprisingly won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
Corning
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Eeeville wrote:
I unintentionally read under France's loss condition as 7 towns being in the pool, rather than 7 towns per player. My friend and I (using Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares + Lightning's Quick Strike) surprisingly won.

That would have made you pause a bit if you were playing on level 3+ of France: "Wait, we only have 1 Town to put on the board, then lose on the next one?!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Brownsmith
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Damn the French.

Cheese eating surrender monkeys. =)

----

Amusing moment from a 2 player solo game (Serpent, Wildfire).

Around turn 3; Heart of the Wildfire had just drawn a Major, and had taken Powerstorm, but had not played it.

Forget the first 2 powers Wildfire played, but Serpent played Gift of Primordial Deep and Gift of Flowing Power.

Wildfire drew from GotPD, as a minor, the card that is 'target spirit (if another spirit) gains one energy and may play another power card' and plays it targetting Serpent.

Serpent plays Absorb Essence, which gives Heart the extra energy it needed to play powerstorm using GoFP (and has the elements for the threshold).

Wildfire targets Serpent with Powerstorm, who repeats all three (GotPD, GoFP, AbEss), allowing Wildfire to play 2 more cards (drawing Elemental Boon as the new minor to play).

Results: Hilarity

Wildfire played Powerstorm, Elemental Boon, the Gift power whose name I'm blanking on, Flames Fury, Threatening Flame, and 2 other low cost powers.

Serpent played, and repeated each, GofP, GotPD, and Absorb Essence.

The turn itself wasn't a huge hit on the invaders (England, high immigration II), but the writing was on the wall given the huge power jump.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had a great moment closing out Gen Con. @grysqrl and I finally got a chance to sit down for a fight against Brandenburg-Prussia Level 6 before our carpools left to go back home. To give ourselves a chance, we played River Surges in Sunlight and Ocean's Hungry Grasp. Unlike most games of Spirit Island, against this adversary you have a real threat of running out of the Invader deck, and indeed we drew the last Explore card and were on the final moments. (You lose when you attempt to draw an Invader card and can't, so we had to win by the next Fast phase.)

There were three Cities on the board and we hadn't even reached Terror Level 2, so things were looking grim. By using all the major powers we could, we were able to reach Terror Level 3 and destroy two of the cities, leaving just one left. The Event card seemed irrelevant; it let us use a slow power as fast, but the only one we had was a River's Bounty that was put down just because it was zero cost. So we had to rely on the three Fear cards we had to resolve.

The first one was Defend in places we didn't need defense.

The second one skipped the Explore. If we were at Terror Level 2, it would have given us another turn, but alas, no.

And the last one was ... a Dahan Raid! The seemingly useless Event card had let us pull Dahan into the relevant land. And then those Dahan came and tore down the City, for a victory at the last possible moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blankstein
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dthurston wrote:
I just had a great moment closing out Gen Con.

This game was super tense and lots of fun. I remember making a comment after the first few turns to the effect that we had things pretty well under control. Not so! A great way to close out the convention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Had an unexpected win. I was at Level 3 fear where I'm guessing all you need to do is destroy the cities. They were about to ravage the jungle where if I take any blight would lose to running out of blight. Had some Dahan in the jungle and the fear card that turned up, do 2 damage per dahan there. Got rid of the only city on the board.

What a fantastic game!!!! Kudos to Eric and his playtesters. Now If I can get the Promos... I know... I know I can print them yada yada yada but it's not the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll probably write more later about the ridiculously fast game I just finished, but a brief note:

There is a certain joy when you flip over the Coastal Lands card... immediately after resolving Quarantine. Like, talk about effective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Vessenes
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Squidd wrote:
I'll probably write more later about the ridiculously fast game I just finished, but a brief note:

There is a certain joy when you flip over the Coastal Lands card... immediately after resolving Quarantine. Like, talk about effective.

This happens way more often than I feel like it should.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
Corning
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I played a game at a much lower level that I usually do as I was playing with someone who hasn't played quite as much. There came a point in the game where I could see we were going to win for sure, and since I was playing Thunderspeaker, I thought, "Hey, let's see how much damage I could do with Manifestation of Power and Glory." I ended up moving enough Dahan and presence to do 110 damage with it, which I could have Powerstormed again, but I decided to do 1 damage to a lone explorer elsewhere . Volcanic Eruption must be so jealous that it has to blight the land to do 18% of that damage!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.