Eldritch Horror» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Strategy for multiple monsters on a space rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Just John
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Behind every fear, is a person you want to be.
mbmbmbmb
In many of my games I do my best to control the portals, but there's always one that is so far out there, or I haven't been able to close for one reason for another. Sometimes it's not a problem, but other times I need to be on that spot to complete an objective of some sort--usually an epic monster.

Of course when I start heading that way, I'll have a monster surge per mythos where it adds +2 (I play four handed) monsters. They pack on quick, especially if I can't kill them fast enough and have to retreat to regain health. After awhile, I know if I send in my investigator even at 80% health and sanity, he's going to die.

What strategy's have you found worked well for tackling these situations. Even if I bring another investigator along for the ride, it's like they're both taking the same amount of damage as one may or may not soften the monsters up, but the other investigator still has to do the same rolls (saying no monsters have been killed by the first investigator).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the monsters. A bunch of cultists and 1-2 toughness monsters? No problem, just send in someone who will take out most of them. A bunch of tougher monsters? Hope that you have a real good weapon and some way to prevent sanity damage. Otherwise, use Tokyo or dynamite or mists of releh or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pettersson
Sweden
Arvika
flag msg tools
Small tortoiseshell butterfly
mbmbmbmbmb
Diana Stanley has been really useful in those situations. As long as there are cultists on the board, non-epic monsters are a lot easier to deal with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arkham zombie
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, late in the game I usually have atleast one mega-killer equipped with a powerful weapon and/or artifact. These kind of monster gatherings are almost sought for, especially if there are weaker monsters that can be killed without much effort and can reap benefits (Tcho-Tcho, Mi-Go).

Stuff like Book of the Dead (gain 1 clue token for defeated monsters), Sword of St Jerome (gain 1 sanity for killed monster) etc really shine on these gatherings. Of course you need to be equipped to match the biggest baddie on that location, usually an epic monster or otherwise a real tough one. I'd say it all boils down to what assets you have at your disposal, high influence characters are a must if you want to kill large quantities of nasties. I usually trade my assets between investigators depending on their role (well, everyone can have at least one good weapon. Can't have too many weapons these days).

There are also a bunch of tasks, assets and unique assets that benefit from killing monsters so these gatherings are useful for those too.

There's a lot of good fighters in the game, some of them have abilities that help crowd control like Tony and some of them have useful abilities like William who gains assets for killing bad guys.

Besides, huge skirmishes leave a warm and fuzzy feeling. (Almost) regardless of the outcome. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
♪ I'll mourn over the marble steps ♬ Junkies of the world lay across the monuments ♫ I climb and blister on the mount ♪ Drunks take a piss where heroes once bled out ♪ ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to read Diana Stanley mentioned here. She's one of my favorite investigators.
I randomly pull investigators, but haven't seen Diana in a while.
There have been several moments in my latest games against the newest AOs where I could have used her ability to clear a horror-orgy on a space.

Vers, I'm not sure what you own, but with more expansions comes additional items and artifacts (and spells, IIRC), granting bonuses to skills as well as reducing the horror and damage of monsters. Jumping into to a space with a mad monster party isn't so suicidal.

In one game, Skids was a monster-busting madman with a magical lightning gun, non-magical flamethrower and staring down the horror of it all while taking little damage. There were few 1's rolled in that game.

Skids was definitely my MVP for that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Dean
msg tools
Sword of St Jerome or Lightning Gun is definitely the top of my pick. Normally when we play, we like to have one guy traveling the globe killing monsters. Last game was "Ashcan" Pete, because he recovered sanity with the aid of Duke and the liquor Charlie provided made a good backup.

I've seen Diana Stanley on occasion, but setting up a character in Tokyo is probably one of the surest ways I can think of to weaken monsters. Someone more capable than I has probably calculated what skills you need on Tokyo to reasonably pass the monster busting tests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just John
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Behind every fear, is a person you want to be.
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for all of the replies. I picked Diana Stanley randomly in my last game. Sure enough, two portals were on the objectives with cultists, and she cleared them out with 6+ monsters. She didn't do much else that game besides elude death multiple times, but she was key in seeing the game through in the critical moments.

I think I'll need to spend more time trying to obtain artifacts for when she's not around.

Thanks again everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sun
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agency Quarantine and Dynamite are good. They are relatively easy to get in core game (or with 1 expansion) and Tokyo also works.

Diane Stanley works too when she applies. Some bosses like Shub Niggurath alters cultists though, so if she's too far away its not worth spending turns going over only to see the Cultist polymorph into Goatspawn.

Some spells like Poison Mist can kill weaker monsters.

When (having to) fighting multiple monsters, some items increase in value. Fishing Net, Hired Muscle, Elder Sign and other items that directly reduce enemy Horror or Strength increase in value generally speaking. With Vatican Missionary, right weapons (and/or spells), Diane Stanley can get through multiple fights taking no Sanity damage due to her passive that reduces enemy Horror to 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.