Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Rients
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
For my next game of Carcassonne, I plan to add the starting tile from the gasic game to the river tiles. It's a bit inelegant to have a non-river in the river stack, but I like the additional possibilities and, more importantly, I hate to see a perfectly good tile go to waste. I don't use a drawbag, so the inverse color scheme on the back of the starting tile precludes it from being put in the stacks I draw from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rients
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Re:tiny tiny variant
Played one game with the extra tile on Sunday. As I figured it had no huge impact on play, but did allow me to use all the nifty tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Myers
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done this as well, as especially in larger games with more than 4 players. Noticeably helps early play options and expedite the opening game. I suppose it could be said to be harmful if a person plays the base tile in one of a couple really strategic ways, granting them an early lead in points. But remember i said this is useful fFor bigger games, where a couple early points are usually irrelevant anyway.

I was tempted to toss in a fFew more standard tiles with the river, just to mix up the early game a bit. But that could get messy, so probably best to avoid that thinking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
What rules do you enforce on its placement? If you allow it to be placed any legal way as per normal rules, you may quickly wind up with a series of unplayable river tiles - including the river end piece.

blankblankblankblankblank
RRRRblank
blankblankSblankblank
blankblankblankblankblank

Suppose that river is being built from left and the rightmost river (R) tile turns downwards. Then someone draws the 'start' tile (S) and places it next to the second-last river segment (with the road running parallel to its adjacent tile's river). Then the only tiles that can fit the rriver end are those with roads. If all river tiles with roads are already gone.. then what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Myers
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The start tile may only be placed in such a way as to not limit what river tiles may be placed next along the river. Placing the Start Tile in this way is simply illegal, because, as you observe, the river is limited in what may be placed next.

When we play (using both river 1 and river 2), we are sometimes inclined to build two rivers, one with the fFork, and without. Other times we will use only one river, starting with the fFork piece aimed in 3 different sprawling directions. In either of these scenarios, players may place river tiles anywhere on the end of any river. If a river end is drawn at any point, it may be fFreely played on any open end. River(s) tend to be a little unconventional, as you might guess.

The primary, steadfast rule about placing tiles during the river phase is, as above: No tile may be placed in any way such that it restricts what may be placed next in line on any river.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.