Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer» Forums » General

Subject: Play time? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Petr Míka
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I am seriously thinking about buying BoB and have to decide between SE and GP modules. I prefer GP now since it looks more interesting gamewise, but I am worried that it's scenarios might be too long for me. So I would like to ask you how long does it usually take to play short/medium/long scenarios from this module. Both for newbies and for experienced players.

Thank you very much.
Petr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, probably an hour for short, two hours for medium, and I haven't gotten to any big ones. Longer for new players and/or Vassal/Skype.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most scenarios are 1.5 - 3 hours total. I'd say 2-2.5 is a decent average.

Some very small and training scenarios can be played in less than 90 minutes.

The larger scenarios are 4+ hours.

A "typical" scenario with around 8-10 turns and about 15-25 units per side is 2.5 hours for average experience players. Very experienced players can play it in less time. A rule of thumb is that whatever the playing time would be for a typical player (say, 2 hours), increase by 50% for new players.

So, you can expect an average sized scenario to last 3 - 3.5 hours for newcomers to the system.

Start out with a small scenario - 12 units or less on each side. Then move on to the larger scenarios.

This is the quickest-playing tactical system I know of, so if this is too slow, you're not really going to find anything that plays quicker and maintain any kind of verisimilitude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petr Míka
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your responses.

Kozure wrote:
Start out with a small scenario - 12 units or less on each side.
In the Ghost Panzer are only 3 such scenarios and two of them are training (3rd is "The first T34s"). So you would suggest to start with the Screaming Eagle?

According to what you wrote I should expect 3+ hours from other scenarios for the first plays which is probably too much for me. Probably I will wait for the Old Breed South Pacific to see which scenarios will be there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mb
Chris can chime in, but that has not been my experience. I play most scenarios in two hours (or less).

Anyone else want to weigh in? I'm curious as to other's experiences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petr Míka
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, but I guess you should be considered as a quite experienced player. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls