20 Posts

Near and Far» Forums » General

Subject: Which mode first? Character or Campaign? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pat O'Donnell
msg tools
mb
Have played a few of the 'starter' mode games and very familiar with how everything works at this point.

I'm excited to dive into one of the more rewarding and lengthy game modes, and wanted to poll and see if people recommend character mode, campaign mode, or either.

I know character mode is a bit shorter, so that can probably played in a few game sessions, whereas it sounds like campaign could be 4-5 separate play sessions.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Bieri
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering this too.
I was thinking maybe knowing more about the character's stories from that mode might make playing the campaign stories feel more...something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Friedberg
United States
claypool
IN
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't yet played the campaign mode, but I get the impression that playing in character mode lessens the unique feel of the individual maps. you definitely get lots of cool story stuff, but you could just as easily play every session of character mode (other than the last one) on the same map...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Character mode is MUCH shorter than campaign. Character mode should take you 3-4 plays of the game. Campaign mode will take you 10 plays of the game. Each play will be roughly the same length no matter if you are in campaign or character mode. So Campaign is 2-3 times as long as Character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
benfriedberg1981 wrote:
I haven't yet played the campaign mode, but I get the impression that playing in character mode lessens the unique feel of the individual maps. you definitely get lots of cool story stuff, but you could just as easily play every session of character mode (other than the last one) on the same map...

It's goes both ways.

Character mode gives you much more of a feel you are controlling a specific character with an individual story, rather than a generic adventurer. But yes, it doesn't really matter that much what's on the map.

Campaign mode makes it feel like a generic adventurer, but you get a much richer story about the world you are in and how you are affecting it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
benfriedberg1981 wrote:

It's goes both ways.

Character mode gives you much more of a feel you are controlling a specific character with an individual story, rather than a generic adventurer. But yes, it doesn't really matter that much what's on the map.

Campaign mode makes it feel like a generic adventurer, but you get a much richer story about the world you are in and how you are affecting it.

So, any suggestion on which is best to start out with, if the length of the campaign is not a factor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
SpecularRain wrote:
jepmn wrote:
benfriedberg1981 wrote:

It's goes both ways.

So, any suggestion on which is best to start out with, if the length of the campaign is not a factor?

I'd probably say campaign, but it's all a matter of personal opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the idea of doing the character campaign first, to get to know your character before taking them on the full campaign. Still haven't started yet, so can't attest to how that plays out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat O'Donnell
msg tools
mb
SpecularRain wrote:

From the comments, I want to say it could certainly go either way. However, I personally feel like playing on those maps for the first time will lack a certain richness if the quests are not tying in to where my character is on the atlas.

On the flipside, I can miss out on the character stories and always go back to those when I've experienced each map. The "first game" has you using a character that you know nothing about, so I've already experienced missing that part of the game.

As it stands, I will likely be starting with the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
We have started with the character mode first, and we are enjoying it - but I play with different opponents, so we have a total of five of the characters on the go, playing at different times in different games. I am really eager to know what happens next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We started the campaign today with four players. Thanks for the advice everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
We have started with the character mode first, and we are enjoying it - but I play with different opponents, so we have a total of five of the characters on the go, playing at different times in different games. I am really eager to know what happens next.

How does this work if a single character (or player) cannot be there for a few games in a row? Does their character become underpowered if tried to pick back up 4-5 games later, with the same group having been playing their characters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:

How does this work if a single character (or player) cannot be there for a few games in a row?

The number of advances a character can get in a whole campaign is about 8 or 9 points' worth - that's between 2 and 4 'upgrades', all of which are quite small bonuses. I don't think it affects newcomers or players who miss a game very much. If you are playing in character mode, however, a character can complete his story in 4 games, so someone who misses 3 games will be playing his next game with opponents with new characters!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:

How does this work if a single character (or player) cannot be there for a few games in a row?

The number of advances a character can get in a whole campaign is about 8 or 9 points' worth - that's between 2 and 4 'upgrades', all of which are quite small bonuses. I don't think it affects newcomers or players who miss a game very much. If you are playing in character mode, however, a character can complete his story in 4 games, so someone who misses 3 games will be playing his next game with opponents with new characters!

Awesome, thanks for the info! I guess that means I will probably run through campaign mode, then. I still need to browse through these forums more, though. There just seems to be so many different game variations. Slightly overwhelming, tbh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:

There are sections in the rulebook about adding a new player in the middle of a campaign. They don't recommend it for Character mode, but in Campaign mode you just give the player one XP per game they missed. I can't see any reason why that wouldn't work for someone who missed some games in the middle of the campaign as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm kind of wondering about this on another level. The rulebook describes four play modes: First Adventure, Arcade, Campaign and Character.

This makes the replayability of the Storybook come into question for me. If I just want to play one map without going Campaign Mode, am I going to ruin the Campaign for myself and the others playing with me?

D'Oh. I think I just answered my own question. Perhaps the FIFTH mode of the game should be named "Single Non-Campaign Mode". In that case, players would choose a single map from 2 through 11 to play, and purposely put the quest markers on UNNAMED book locations on the map.

A) Will that work, and is that the intent of the designer/writers? OR

B)Is it supposed to be possible to just play any one map with quest markers placed randomly on any books without ruining the campaign because of the addition of the side quests? OR

C) People are supposed to play through the campaign first and then replay the maps with a nostalgia factor thrown in....

I **really** hope that B) is the answer, because I think I'll only be able to play the arcade mode 2 or 3 times before I get tired of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenna Asplund
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
montebanc wrote:
D'Oh. I think I just answered my own question. Perhaps the FIFTH mode of the game should be named "Single Non-Campaign Mode". In that case, players would choose a single map from 2 through 11 to play, and purposely put the quest markers on UNNAMED book locations on the map.

There's no official mode for playing a single game with the stories, but not in campaign mode. However, there's no particular reason why you couldn't if you wanted to.

The only way it would "ruin" the campaign is if you're really particular about not having seen any of the stories before. Not placing books on the named book locations would be a good way to avoid the quests that are specific to the over-arching story of the campaign.

There also are side quests, and more quests on each map than you can read in one game no matter what, so there will be new content available still the second time you play through a particular map. However, there will be a chance that some of the stories you read will be the same on a second play through, depending on your player count and where you put the quest markers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Neat trick about not putting them on named locations.

My memory is so bad that when I play Above & Below, even when I feel like I remember the story I can't remember what the outcomes are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CepheidVariable wrote:

There's no official mode for playing a single game with the stories, but not in campaign mode. However, there's no particular reason why you couldn't if you wanted to.

The only way it would "ruin" the campaign is if you're really particular about not having seen any of the stories before. Not placing books on the named book locations would be a good way to avoid the quests that are specific to the over-arching story of the campaign.

Thanks Brenna! I'm not so worried about not seeing ANY of the stories more than once. I'm more interested in getting to experience ALL the stories, and not repeating them more than twice maybe. I think I'll try my patented "no named locations" method with the third or fourth map soon and see how that goes. I'm just not in a hurry to do the campaign. For me, doing that too soon would make this feel like a once and done Legacy game, that you then feel like you can put away or dispose of. I want to get a lot more use and enjoyment out of the game before that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
montebanc wrote:
CepheidVariable wrote:

Thanks Brenna! I'm not so worried about not seeing ANY of the stories more than once. I'm more interested in getting to experience ALL the stories, and not repeating them more than twice maybe. I think I'll try my patented "no named locations" method with the third or fourth map soon and see how that goes. I'm just not in a hurry to do the campaign. For me, doing that too soon would make this feel like a once and done Legacy game, that you then feel like you can put away or dispose of. I want to get a lot more use and enjoyment out of the game before that!

You should of course do it the way you feel works best for you, but at least for me, I'm not worried at all that I will feel it's done once I get through the campaign.

There is so many quests to be had in this game. I've played through the Character mode with my wife, using Rin and Shardling, and I want to play those characters again at some point, because there are so many different choices, and so many options that we never got to see. Then there are the Character modes for all the other characters as well. In total, the scripts for the Character mode takes up about half the quest book, so there's no shortage of material there.

Then theres the Campaign mode of course. I've played the first three games of the campaign so far. As you've already said, there are loads of locations where quests can be had, and I will certainly want to play through each map more than once. And because of the side-quests, a number of the named locations, that have had book-tokens on them, have been used for side-quests, and thus the actual quest for that location has not been seen.

I absolutely love the completionist-boxes in the quest book, and I put a little mark in the box for each script we read. But I also mark off the choices made, and any keyword-triggered paragraphs.

I'm going to squeeze every drop of adventure out of this wonderful game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.