Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Lambert
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello All,

So this is just a maybe, but if I were to get Catan to play with my kids (7 & 11), should I even bother with the junior version or go straight for the original version.

Then if thinking about it, is Catan still the one to get or are there better "Catan-killers" out there that should be considered because they surpass Catan in all it is...

I know this is vague but I think y'all know what I'm asking...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Portage
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
depends on the kids, as always.
If you 7 year old can keep up with your 11 year old then your probably fine. I just don't think you want to create a situation where you have to bend the rules for the 7 year old and not the 11. Before catan junior was an option my family taught kids normal catan with no development cards, getting a resources of your choice when a 7 is rolled and no robber, and play to 8 points. That seemed to work well enough. Catan junior is MUCH easier though, in teaching, setup, playing, all of that.
I have yet to come across a game that totally overtakes catan (well...cities and knights but I don't really count that being the same game). Though there may be better games none fit quite the same nitch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids enjoyed Catan junior. The youngest is 4 and he loves it at the moment, while the older ones are over it now (7;and 9).

It's fine, but I would have just gone for Catan to be honest. Variants could be used if needed like the one described above and then as they get more proficient they're ready to go.

Having said that I have savoured every win of junior I've had because I always try and play with out using any of those dammed Coco cards as a handicap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lambert
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks.

Appreciate the responses..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.