Subject: another card question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Henyey
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
My girlfriend and I picked up this game in Vancouver, BC, over President's Day weekend. We gave it a try today. It has really nice components, but the game is flawed because of the poorly worded god cards. We ran into three rules questions in our very first game. Two of those questions have been asked and answered on BGG, but we still have one remaining question.

Here's the situation: Eric attacks, then plays the Ares card that reads, "attack as if you had an additional Greek." Shelley plays the Zeus card that voids the Ares card. Eric has his own Zeus card that reads, "use a God card without discarding it." Can Eric play this card to get his Ares card back?

We are big fans of other Kosmos two-player games (Lost Cities in particular), but this one really suffers from the vagueness of the god cards. My guess is that whoever translated the cards didn't pay close attention to the wording. Thus "neighboring" is sometimes used in lieu of "adjacent," "attack" sometimes means "attack" and sometimes means "attack or defend," etc. Game rules should be written by rules laywers so that the players don't have to take that role!

- Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:another card question
erichenyey (#29154),
The card is lost. The Zeus card let's you keep it after use.
It 'went away' before you used it. Don't give up on the game- it's great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the Zeus card must be played before the card you want to keep, and that only means it goes back to your hand at the end of your turn, instead of to the discard pile. That solves a lot of problems with that Zeus card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis (#63311),

Your answer still doesn't answer many questions. E.g., do I have to decide whether to cancel the "play this card without discarding it" card before I see what card is going to be played? After playing in a Hellas tournament, I agree that the rules simply have too many holes and ambiguities for any two people to agree on what they all mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
do I have to decide whether to cancel the "play this card without discarding it" card before I see what card is going to be played?

Yes, I suppose. The rules state that you must pause briefly after playing any card, in order to allow the cancel card to be played - and that it must be played "immediately". If the other player does not cancel your "keep" card before you play the next (the one you want to keep), he can cancel only the latter card. This seems to imply that the card you keep goes back to your hand only after the end of the turn (or that it cannot be used again in the same turn), otherwise the cancel card would be pointless in this case. It is not written anywhere in the rules, but I just thought the "keep" card might be too powerful if it allowed the card you keep to be immediately played again. Then I may be wrong... I do agree that there are several holes and ambiguities in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis (#63380),

Actually, I don't think it would be too overpowering. Let's look at the sequence of events.

1. Play Zeus card that allows picking up discard
2. Opponent does not counter
3. Play Ares card in example
4. Opponent plays cancel card. Both now should go to discard.
5. Use Zeus card's power to put your cancelled card back into your hand instead of discarding it.
6. Zeus card is now discarded
7. Play Ares again and resolve battle.
8. Now you have to discard the Ares card since you already used the Zeus card. You can't use it twice.

So the cancel card did not cancel the Ares action, but it did force the discarding of the card. In effect, it canceled the Zeus card. But instead of having to decide whether to do that blindly, the player could wait until he saw which card the opponent wanted to use and keep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the game just a few days ago and had to check the rules. Contrarily to what I thought, playing a card twice in the same battle, after using that Zeus card to keep it, is allowed. This is not stated in the rules themselves, but it's described in one of the battle examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.