Subject: Five/six men's morris rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cornelius Lindemark
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules for Five and Six Men's Morris

This is a fun game I've been playing with my class of six graders. It can be expanded to Nine men's morris as well. The picture attached is just an idea for the board. The middle piece can be exchanged with a green piece to make it more visible. Each player chooses 5 or 6 cubes each of a different colour.

RulEs
1. This game is played by two players, with five or six pieces each, on the board illustrated.
2. The board starts empty, each player holding all his pieces in hand.

3. At first, each player in turn puts one piece on the board, at any vacant point.

4. Once all pieces are on the board, a player instead moves one of his pieces along a marked line to an adjacent empty point.

5. If a piece placed or moved as in rules 3 or 4 forms a row of three along a marked line (called a mill), he can take one of his opponent's pieces, so long as that piece is not itself part of a mill.

6. If when capturing as in rule 5, all opposing pieces form mills, then any of the pieces may be captured.

7. A player wins the game when the opponent is reduced to 2 pieces and is thus unable to form a mill or make further captures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornelius Lindemark
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
9 men's morris
Same as above, only with 9 pieces each and a larger board (see attached picture for suggestion). A variant for the 9 man's morris is a new rule called flying. When a player is down to 3 pieces there is no longer a limitation on that player of moving to only adjacent points: The player's men may "fly" (or "hop", or "jump") from any point to any vacant point.

It can also be expanded to a 12 men's morris.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornelius Lindemark
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
12 men's morris
Same as above only larger board.
Twelve men's morris may be drawn if the board is filled in the first phase, and no pieces taken, as the second phase will be gridlocked with neither player able to move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornelius Lindemark
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three men's morris
Last one.
Three pieces each. Same rules as 5/6 mens morris.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen Brunborg-Næss
Norway
Son
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Corneliusl wrote:

This is a fun game I've been playing with my class of six graders.

Cool!
With 5 tiles needed for setup and 5+5 cubes, you have material enough for 7 simultaneous games in one Green Box. Wit two boxes you can have the entire class playing :-)

I actually have the rules for Nine Men's Morris on the website, cut and pasted from Wikipedia, but not all of these variations.

Stacking the tiles to create a board is a neat idea, and with the bigger tiles in the Second to None Edition this should work nicely. I took a different approach, which uses up more table space, but worked well with the small Very First Edition tiles:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornelius Lindemark
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Ah, should have checked the website first 😂

The idea with the variations is to scale according to who you are playing against, make it easier for younger players, or Harder for more experienced ones.
I am sure it's possible to make a 24 men's morris aswell, somehow.
I like the boardsetup you are using. I was playing around with something similar in my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen Brunborg-Næss
Norway
Son
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Corneliusl wrote:

Ah, should have checked the website first 😂

No worries, it is not a requrement that everyone has to have read through every page on the website before posting to the forum coollaugh Better to have the same ideas posted twice than no ideas at all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls