Subject: questions on dungeon twister rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Larabell
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
I tried posting this in the general forum but it appears to not have been the right place to post. Hopefully here is the better place for this.

I just picked up a copy of the base game and expansions #1, #2, and #4. I'm considering getting more. Expansion #3 has an english edition but unless I'm missing something expansions #5 to #8 don't. What I find interesting is that for the game to have had so many expansions it must have been a huge success yet given it's relatively short age surprises me that it is no longer in print.

Does this mean asmodee has abandoned the game and there is likely no chance to see english editions of the remaining four expansions and 3/4 player expansions for the four expansions that only have the two player components? Also I'm wondering if there are fan made components that can be printed out. For example the reference player screens, are there fan made ones patterned off of the base game and 3/4 player one that has each expansions characters and items on them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
In brief, the print runs are over. If there isn't an English edition yet, there will not be one, failing some odd miracle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff H
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
U.S. 95th Infantry Division - The Iron Men of Metz
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmodee and Ludically appear to have abandoned the game. There was some talk of a kickstarter for the Traps expansion for DTrison, but that was years ago now.

There are very good translations available so you should be able to play with the French expansions (if you can find them). There were English editions of Forces of Darkness and Mercenaries; the only expansions that weren't released in English are Blood and Fire, Lands of Ice, and Creatures of the Forest.

You may find this helpful: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/43585/completists-guide-d...

Good luck collecting!

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfonso Velasco
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeontwister.org has some good fan expansions but almost all their rules are in french

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gold Sirius
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Expansion #5 (Mercenaries) has an English release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Lefebvre
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a very good game while it ran. I was following the French releases and there was quite a big community at the time, and organized play even.

A few problems came up though: the later expansions (especially Lands of Ice / Terres de Glace) became more complicated with lots of little rules exception, which there wasn't that many of before. Then Prison happened, which made a lot of the original players pissed because of the change in format, namely, the miniatures really increased the price. There were also repeat characters from the base game. When you've bought up to 8 expansions, you don't want to see that and the lack of compatibility between versions. There was also the split between the author and Asmodee, meaning Ludically had to start from scratch with much less resources available to them. Then the focus changed and the game got its card version, and multiple promises of online play (which is not quite complete yet if I am not mistaken).

So it ended up with Prison, and was never quite touched again in its boardgame version. It's a real shame, I don't think any other game has come close to this genre. But unless there's some miracle or a super dedicated fan manages to get the rights for the game and reprint it through crowdfunding, I doubt we'll ever see new content from their original creators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Larabell
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
Cool beans, thanks for the info. Sounds like fire and water, and mercenaries are all the ones I don't have thet had an English version then. I'd only go for a complete collection if it is really worth having from a game play standpoint. Any recommendations on that feel free to share.

Concerning my specific mention of fan made screens with all character references, if none exist I was going to attempt to make something. I was thinking perhaps using trifold board and using a photo editor to compile the images from the round tokens and descriptions and if possible have the background be just like the screens from the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gold Sirius
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
StoneRyno wrote:
I'd only go for a complete collection if it is really worth having from a game play standpoint.

It is IMO. Every expansion is like its own game while still being Dungeon Twister. They all offer something different and are all worth having imo.

They all can be played individually (with cards and chits from the base set) so they vary your Dungeon Twister experience with new characters and rooms and spells and obstacles in every box... You could even mix all of them if you want, which I usually don't do, since every expansion by itself is perfectly balanced because you're playing the same characters. But the possibility is there if you want to custom build your forces.

However, keep in mind that Fire & Water is often considered to be the most difficult one so it's not everybody's cup of tea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Lefebvre
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StoneRyno wrote:
I'd only go for a complete collection if it is really worth having from a game play standpoint. Any recommendations on that feel free to share.

Like said previously, all expansion bring a different aspect of the game to light. The two your are making reference of are about difficult terrain (Fire and Water), and combat (Mercenaries). I would definitely look for Mercenaries because of its increased interest in combat, which to me is half of the game, alas underrepresented in the base game and Paladin and Dragons.

Fire and Water is really cool theme wise, but can be a bit frustrating since the rooms are very difficult to navigate. That being said, there's also an accent on magic in this set, and provided that you play only with one expansion at a time, you'll have a great game ahead of you with very balanced teams. This is the best mode of play I believe, since by default you limit the luck factor by having a team that is somewhat adequate to the terrain.

So definitely, if you can, you should look for both. But if prices/availability vary, then prioritize the one that you prefer for its mechanical theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.