Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Using expansions in 3 player game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Bridges
United Kingdom
Rugby
flag msg tools
The expansion apear to geared to adding additional players. Is there a problem If I want to replace one of the original 3 races with one of the expansion races?

If this is possible are there any adjustments required, such as removal of any of the original exploration cards, or do you just add the expansion cards etc to the core game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not think it will be a problem. Theoretically the races are balanced. So you can play with whatever races you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyia wrote:
The expansion apear to geared to adding additional players. Is there a problem If I want to replace one of the original 3 races with one of the expansion races?

If this is possible are there any adjustments required, such as removal of any of the original exploration cards, or do you just add the expansion cards etc to the core game?

They don't appear to be geared toward adding players at all that I have seen. They CAN be used to add additional players, but it's always seemed that they've viewed 4+ players as possible, but not optimal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly I think a Federationless game would be interesting. As far as exploration cards nothing is there for removal (unlike TI4)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmbmb
You can use any of the races you want as long as you have 3 or more players. When they eventually come out with another playable race you could play a game without any of the starter ones!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Buckley
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've now got the Ferengi and Cardassian expansions. My plan is to add the new system and exploration cards when playing with these civilisations and then remove them if just playing with the Base civilisations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saro Gumusyan

New York
msg tools
mb
I'll need to play as them to get a feel but I wonder if the Ferengi would lose some efficacy in a three-player game. The more trading partners, the better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Buckley
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes agreed. Playing 3 player tonight and using Cardassians only. Don't think Ferengi will be able do so well with 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darth Coupon wrote:
I'll need to play as them to get a feel but I wonder if the Ferengi would lose some efficacy in a three-player game. The more trading partners, the better!

Yeah I wonder this also. Would be worth testing, but I suspect Ferengi might be better off in 4+ player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Buhr
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What are everyone's thoughts on the additional content when playing with the non-expansion races? They didn't include an easy way to separate the expansion Exploration cards and systems. I was thinking of leaving the extra content in regardless of the races involved.

Another annoyance I have noted is the ink on the expansion Exploration cards are much darker than the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thirdspaced wrote:
What are everyone's thoughts on the additional content when playing with the non-expansion races? They didn't include an easy way to separate the expansion Exploration cards and systems. I was thinking of leaving the extra content in regardless of the races involved.

Another annoyance I have noted is the ink on the expansion Exploration cards are much darker than the base game.

I'm just going to leave them in. As for the card quality, at least they used the same card stock, unlike what they did with Tyrants of the Underdark (where it matters much more)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Keal
msg tools
So I can use all the expansion cards and discs even if not using a 4th race?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keallm wrote:
So I can use all the expansion cards and discs even if not using a 4th race?

Sure you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.