Shawn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
according to the rulebook the 3-silver special action can be used before after or even during an action, but what does that mean?

one example where "during" can be useful is explained below:

let's say i have three silver and one single castle (dark green) card in my projects area a full projects area (including one castle, and a card in hand that can build the castle. I can do the following play:

1) pay the die in hand to build the castle card and begin the free action benefit of the castle
2) "during" the castle's free action, I activate a 3-silver special action
3) take one of the three revealed cards and add it to my projects area
4) build the newly acquired card using the original castle free action

I wanted to give this it's own post so people can see an example where using the three silver action during another action can be useful.

thanks for reading.

edit: fixed formatting
edit #2: as bernhard mentions below, the above scenario is useful when your projects area is initially full with a castle included
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cardflopper wrote:
according to the rulebook the 3-silver special action can be used before after or even during an action, but what does that mean?

let's say i have three silver and one single castle (dark green) card in my projects area, and a card in hand that can build the castle. I can do the following play:

1) pay the die in hand to build the castle card and begin the free action benefit of the castle

I wanted to give this it's own post so people can see an example where using the three silver action during another action can be useful.

thanks for reading.

It would make sense if your project area is full. Otherwise, you could also do that without interuption:
2) I activate a 3-silver special action

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you're right , thanks for the clarification!

as you said, this example is for when your projects area is FULL.

Sort of a specific case but still useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
Qu├ębec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting! I think CofB Cards offers a surprising amount of depth and I'm happy to see fans discussing strategy in the forum (as I mentioned in my previous post ).

cardflopper wrote:

let's say i have three silver and one single castle (dark green) card in my projects area a full projects area (including one castle, and a card in hand that can build the castle. I can do the following play:

thanks for reading.

edit #2: as bernhard mentions below, the above scenario is useful when your projects area is initially full with a castle included

Your example of when "during can be useful" is actually very similar, if not identical, to the example given in the rulebook (on p. 8).
I would simply add to your example that : in your Step 4 you could build any of the 3 cards in your projects area with your castle's bonus function, not necessarily the "newly acquired card".

What makes the example in the rulebook cool is that the player uses the effect of the castle she built with her main action to build a second castle she acquired by selling silver in mid-turn, then uses the effect of the latter to nab a 3rd castle from the display! That's the kind of cool combo that the cards' bonus functions and the "Pay 3 silver/buy 3 cards" mechanisms allow in the game.

An exciting play came up in our last game, which also nicely illustrates spending silver during an action. I had 1 Castle in my estate, and a second castle placed as a project.

In round E, and on my sixth and last turn (1 remaining card in hand) with 3 silver and 2 workers in my storage, I discarded and used my 2 workers to place my 2nd castle. During the middle of the card's bonus function, I spent my 3 silver to purchase 3 cards : the only way I could pull off a triple in my last turn was if I drew either a 3 rd Castle or a Cloister... The Fates smiled upon me: I drew a purple card! I completed my main action by using my castle's effect to place the cloister and scored the triple. Beautiful! cool

I realized afterwards that a slightly different sequence would equally have allowed me to complete my triple: I could have spent silver before my main action and I don't think in this instance it would have made any difference.
As BeloW06 rightfully pointed out above, if your projects area is full at the start of your turn, it's necessary to begin by Action 2 in order to free a space.

Here are a few other cool uses of the 3 silver action I could think of:

1. When neither of the cards in your hand allows you to take the action you want, and you are short of workers, it's always cool to spend silver and gamble that 1 of the purchased cards will allow you take your action. If you're lucky and draw the card you needed, you can use your main action for something else.
Failing that, discard 1 of the newly purchased dice to take Action 4 "Restock workers" >> use workers to perform your main action (this is provided the die number of the action card you're playing is only 1-2 pips away from that of the action your want to take).

2. If you have 2 silver, discard 1 die to take Action 5 "Take 1 silver" >> spend silver and hope that 1 of the purchased dice allows you to take your action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.