Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I just went in on the acolyte KS level so I'm excited to be a new owner of CW! The minis look awesome, but my instinct tells me that a simple gray wash would go a long way to bring out the details, but I haven't seen that done. Has anyone tried it?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody
United States
Placentia
Select state
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you applying the wash directly on the plastic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why bad? Please elaborate!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Againsto wrote:
Why bad? Please elaborate!

Because acrylic paint does not adhere very well to plastic. You need to prime the mini first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Solfronk
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, you cannot apply a wash directly onto the plastic- it just will not adhere (and will be rubbed off).

Remember to wash the figures first- they have a slight residue from the mold process)

You could find a spray that is close to the figures color. I have seen people use a metallic spray (like metallic green for Cthulhu) and then apply a wash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people have reported success using this as a clear primer: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/showthread.php?7969

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Blozinski
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm not a fantastic painter and I also wanted to not change the color coding rapid identification aspect.
Primed with gloss.
Painted only teeth, eyes and hooves, boney stuff.
Black wash whole thing to bring out details.
Cover in watered down pearlescent medium to give a slight magic look from the vague shiny metallic appearance.
Seal coat in gloss.
Interestingly, it kind of underwhelmed me at first, but now I REALLY like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dying Tickles
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pollock1939 wrote:
I'm not a fantastic painter and I also wanted to not change the color coding rapid identification aspect.
Primed with gloss.
Painted only teeth, eyes and hooves, boney stuff.
Black wash whole thing to bring out details.
Cover in watered down pearlescent medium to give a slight magic look from the vague shiny metallic appearance.
Seal coat in gloss.
Interestingly, it kind of underwhelmed me at first, but now I REALLY like it.

Can you list the actual products you used? From the sounds of it, you did what I want to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think people don't really realize how not evident even a simple sentence like "Primed with gloss" is to people who have never really painted miniatures (or anything else, for that matter).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Army Painter has its colored primer line, and ink washes. Here's pale green Necrotic Flesh and their Green Tone Ink. More info in the paint tutorials in my profile!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Blozinski
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Liquitex Iridescent Medium is the only thing special.
Krylon gloss for priming and sealing. Various Vallejo acrylics for painting the few details. I forgot what I used for a black wash. Need to go look that up again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Army Painter has its colored primer line, and ink washes. Here's pale green Necrotic Flesh and their Green Tone Ink. More info in the paint tutorials in my profile!

So this is how they looked after ...
1) washing in soapy water
2) spraying (?) them with necrotic flesh primer
3) [washing them with the green tone ink?]

Correct?
[and obviously painting the bases grey. Did you prime the bases with necrotic flesh as well, or did you use a grey primer for that?]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Blozinski
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Don't laugh. I'd literally NEVER done a black wash in my life until doing this minimalist job on these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dying Tickles
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pollock1939 wrote:
Don't laugh. I'd literally NEVER done a black wash in my life until doing this minimalist job on these.

Looks good. Looks like the original color with a few different colors added and enough wash to bring out the details. Great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Merlo
Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
pollock1939 wrote:

Fulfills its purpose and enhances the miniatures' looks. I used this type of wash on another board game and it's a great way to save some time and have a nice end-product. Good job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
http://i.imgur.com/4HajniE.jpg

I covered them in black primer, then sprayed them from above with white primer.

You can imagine the undersides were blacker, and the tops were more light grey.

Then I used colored washes with several layers, and added a bit of regular color here and there (with black washes over that).

All except for Yellow Sign, my yellow wash looked like crap. So I painted that normally.

However someone posted above about using a colored primer, with a wash over it (pictured with star spawn), I think that's a great idea if you want to keep things simple. You'll just need to paint the base unless you prime those black first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.