Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin Taylor
United States
Somerset
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems cheap to add food cards to existing items with durability of 4 or 5 with matching keywords, thereby getting 5 or 6 quantity of food when the foods base value was only 1.

But foods count as items right? if you already have used up your dice, you have to add food to an existing item right?

also, when you use an item that has 3 item cards, and you use that item once, you can use all 3 item cards with just -1 durability right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Tang
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you discard food item cards as you use them -- no matter if they're combined or not with other items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure all food cards indicate they are discarded on use. I'd have to dig one out to check. I'll let someone else do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several incorrect assumptions here. Here are the important aspects that seem common to food cards:

• They have a 1-pip die.
• They have the food and stamina keywords.
• They provide a white die Eat 0+/0 action icon.
• Their action success consequence concludes with 'discard this'.

What this means:

• You can only eat one food card at a time, even in the same stack. This is because they have white action icons, not brown modifier icons.

• You only get to take the eat action once per food card in the stack, as each card discards itself as you eat it.

• Attaching them to an item stack with a food or stamina icon at the top doesn't give you extra uses of the food, it means the stack will not lose total durability if you eat the food. For example:
-- With a stamina item on top, if the die started at 4, attaching two food turns the die to 6 and then eating both in two separate actions reduces the die each time to leave it at 4 afterwards, where it started.
-- With a non-matching item on top, if the die started at 4, attaching two food does not change the die and then eating both in two separate actions reduces the die each time to leave it at 2 afterwards, less than where it started.

There is no benefit to attaching food to matching items. What you are actually doing is ensuring you avoid the penalties incurred by attaching it to an existing item.

Edit:
spunXtain wrote:
also, when you use an item that has 3 item cards, and you use that item once, you can use all 3 item cards with just -1 durability right?

If you mean non-food type items, then sure. You can use all the brown modifier icons in the stack for 1 pip. You can only ever be using one white action icon at a time, though, although using the white action from one item in the stack and brown modifiers from others in the same stack only costs one pip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hollow
msg tools
mb
kelann08 wrote:
I'm pretty sure all food cards indicate they are discarded on use. I'd have to dig one out to check. I'll let someone else do that.

This is correct. A meat item combined with another item raises the combined items by one (if the other item's top item has the keyword meat or stamina. Once you use the meat (or flint or elixir, etc) you discard that card (not the whole item) as it says on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
There is no benefit to attaching food to matching items. What you are actually doing is ensuring you avoid the penalties incurred by attaching it to an existing item.

Well, that and you're able to store it despite the item inventory limit, which you might be at when you acquire the food.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Taylor
United States
Somerset
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:
Clipper wrote:

Well, that and you're able to store it despite the item inventory limit, which you might be at when you acquire the food.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying here, but the item limit still applies. For example, if you're playing 4-player, then each player can have two items consisting of two item cards. If you have a shovel, you can only attach one food item to it. Or you can create a double food item in an empty item slot. Baskets are useful for carrying more food, if desired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying here, but the item limit still applies. For example, if you're playing 4-player, then each player can have two items consisting of two item cards. If you have a shovel, you can only attach one food item to it. Or you can create a double food item in an empty item slot. Baskets are useful for carrying more food, if desired.

I think jsciv was only noting the item limit and not the stacking limit. In other words, it's useful to stack when you have hit the item limit, but not the stacking limit, but it comes at the cost of reduced durability when you eat for the non-compliant item. That's probably the misunderstanding...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
jsciv wrote:
Clipper wrote:

I would say the basket is essential for finishing a campaign, at least with 4 players. We caught 3-4 meat each time and if we didn't have the basket we'd have had to drop it or other valuable items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Bridger wrote:
Becq wrote:
jsciv wrote:
Clipper wrote:

I would say the basket is essential for finishing a campaign, at least with 4 players. We caught 3-4 meat each time and if we didn't have the basket we'd have had to drop it or other valuable items.

I think the higher player count definitely makes it harder to hunt successfully. We've been to 2P and being able to stack 3 deeps means we have rarely had to discard excess food.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Smith
Australia
Mount Helen
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
although using the white action from one item in the stack and brown modifiers from others in the same stack only costs one pip.

so let's say i have 3 item cards that have the (brown) anchor icons on them, in a stack. (say: 2 stars, 1 star, and -3 cards), if i read this correctly? i can turn the pip on the dice down 1, and get 3 stars, and -3 cards for a white anchor action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
JonaBullets wrote:
so let's say i have 3 item cards that have the (brown) anchor icons on them, in a stack. (say: 2 stars, 1 star, and -3 cards), if i read this correctly? i can turn the pip on the dice down 1, and get 3 stars, and -3 cards for a white anchor action?

Yup!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.