Alex Cannon
United Kingdom
Hassocks
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to figure out a deduction game I'm designing for my wife who loves murder mysteries.

My idea is to have an array of suspect cards, each with a set of traits (light or dark hair, male or female, wear a hat etc.)

Players will (through some mechanism or other) gain clue cards which could either confirm or eliminate a particular trait. The player receiving the clue would flip one of the suspects over to their "eliminated" side: giving a hint to the other players about what they might have just received (or maybe a previous clue.)

The thing I can't really wrap my head around is how to work the character traits. I think I would like at least 8-10 clues throughout the game, but I don't really want more than say 70-80 different characters.

If each character has 3 traits and each trait had 3 options I'd need 27 cards to cover each combination, and if I only did eliminating traits you'd need to find or deduce 6 clues before you would know the answer.

If each trait had 4 options I'd need 64 character cards and you'd need to eliminate 9 traits which seems closest to my goal.

Am I missing something (like basic maths skill?) Are there any games out there that do this kind of thing I could look into?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Please take a look at Mystery of the Abbey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brettell
Australia
South Turramurra
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's an entry in the latest solo pnp competition Black Sonata that did this quite well. Suspects are divided into 4 categories. You know your suspect's category. Each suspect lists the number of traits they share with a particular category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lessee...

* You don't have to have every permutation in the game expressed equally. Frex, nothing wrong with more men than women, especially if mustaches will be a clue!

* Do the traits have to be defined by the game? Much like Dixit, you could have a deck of characters (made from free public domain pictures), play with only some of the deck, and have the players come up with the clue. A common hint game is to have two teams, with a clue giver and clue receiver. The clue giver gives clues that he hopes the other team won't pick up on. See Password.

* Clue, of course, has more than suspects. There's also location, motive, props, etc. to play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.