Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Curd
United Kingdom
winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So I've reached Quest 9 and there's four pillars that are considered to be the hero with the most xp for the purposes of enemy activations, making them the number one target. The Problem is my hero has Taunt, which works in the same way.

Am I to assume one takes priority over the other, or can I choose since it's tied? The rules state that if two heroes have taunt the choice is ours, but the pillar technically doesn't have taunt, it just acts like it does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dilarus wrote:
So I've reached Quest 9 and there's four pillars that are considered to be the hero with the most xp for the purposes of enemy activations, making them the number one target. The Problem is my hero has Taunt, which works in the same way.

Sounds like "someone" failed to playtest that with a Shadow Barbarian (a core retail-edition class).

FWIW, scenario-specific abilities/features "should" override hero skills (which themselves can override the core rules). The rules priority for most games is (from lowest to highest priority):

1) rulebook
2) units (heroes, their skills, item, etc.)
3) scenario

Following those priorities, "Taunt" would appear to be useless in that scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Curd
United Kingdom
winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:

Sounds like "someone" failed to playtest that with a Shadow Barbarian (a core retail-edition class).

I've noticed a lot of things that should be answered that really aren't. I'd hope we have an FAQ coming soon.

I think you'd be right, all it would have taken was a line stating (this overrides the Taunt skill) or something similar to avoid confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. The intention is very clear that you aren't meant to be able to beat the pillars. The special rule should override Taunt or else the Quest breaks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Oliveira Vidal
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, has someone noticed this mission is impossible to win?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mak logan
Greece
flag msg tools
mb
Yes I have a real probpem with this quest.I played it with 2 heroes 3 times and with 4 heroes 4 times and it is always a loss for my group. How can someone beat this quest? Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's another poorly balanced quest.

If you are playing campaign it's probably pretty easy, but as a one off it's very difficult. Your player count also has a big impact. If you play with 3 or less players it's nearly impossible since you need to waste so many actions moving back and forth between pillars attacking the incoming mobs. In 4+ player games it's not as bad since you can position players at each pillar and have someone still picking up gear.

6 players seems to be the easiest. You can have one tankier/melee character near each pillar and then a healer or couple of range in the middle to help keep everyone alive or deal damage. By level 3 you can pretty much just put a Paladin of Fury in front of a pillar and let mobs mass up in his square since they won't be able to really damage him while you focus on other areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Evans
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
It is statistically not possible for 2 players to beat this in single quest mode. Suggest spawning same number of guard mobs as there are players - 2 for 2, 3 for 3, up to 4 for 4, 5, or 6 players.

EDIT: Even with reduced numbers of guards spawned we still get overwhelmed by the 3rd round (2 heroes). It is not possible to get the new treasure AND kill all the swarms coming at you. A few bad dice rolls - which happens often - and you are toast. Maybe there is some ideal class combo which allows this to be beaten but I just don't have the patience to try 20 more times. Too much death for too little joy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChristerDoo wrote:
It is statistically not possible for 2 players to beat this in single quest mode. Suggest spawning same number of guard mobs as there are players - 2 for 2, 3 for 3, up to 4 for 4, 5, or 6 players.

This is what I was trying to point out in another thread. The number of actions you get per activation doesn't allow you to kill all the spawning enemies each round. If you figure every 2 rounds you get 4 mobs and a single roaming monster, that is a minimum of 9 actions to kill them all (if you exclude special circumstances). Mobs take 2 actions to kill since you must first deal with the minions before you can touch a boss, so that's 8 actions, then the roaming monster is minimum 1 action if you one shot it. That's 9 required actions but you only get 6 per 2 rounds if you are playing solo. This isn't even including picking up any treasure of whiffing on rolls.

ChristerDoo wrote:
EDIT: Even with reduced numbers of guards spawned we still get overwhelmed by the 3rd round (2 heroes). It is not possible to get the new treasure AND kill all the swarms coming at you. A few bad dice rolls - which happens often - and you are toast. Maybe there is some ideal class combo which allows this to be beaten but I just don't have the patience to try 20 more times. Too much death for too little joy.

This was exactly my point in the other thread. While it IS possible to beat Quest 9 with 1 or 2 players, you can only do it with a very specific set up. You basically need a range class (which there are really only 2 of if you include the Ranger and Nightrunner), an offensive hero, and need to play with just the core game. I don't think it's physically possible with a melee or magic user. You can't pick up treasure and get around the board quick enough while still dealing with all the monsters spawning. You just don't have enough actions or the attack range required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.