Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeran Delapp
United States
Castle Rock
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I recently acquired a copy of Dice Forge after watching a review for it by Man Vs. Meeple. The game is by the same company behind Seasons and Lords of Xidit. This is an entirely new game with a new theme and new kind of gameplay style I hadn't seen before in a game. Some games allow you to modify what the dice rolls will reward you with figuratively, where this is very literal, you actually pop the faces off of the dice and put on new ones, kind of like lego dice. The art is amazing and the game mechanic works well, but! Is this another game that says you can play 2 player on the box, but is never going to be worth playing at a 2 player count? Case in point Smash Up.

I primarily Play games with only 1 other person, either my wife or my brother. We seldom have more people available as we all work mixed work schedules and find it difficult to get together with a group. Because of this, we love games that work well at only 2, but are not necessarily a 2 player only game. With that in mind, this is a decent game at only 2. I say this from the stand point of wanting just a little bit of meat, not alot, but some decision making that will have more of an overall effect on outcome of the game without the game getting too complex or lengthy l. This is for lack of better terms, an entry level game or gateway game. Very little depth or strategy, you are very much at the mercy of the dice and after a couple play throughs and variation in the cards the "strategy" becomes apparent and the games loses some of its luster. At 2 players there is almost no interaction and our decisions rarely affected one and other. The "take that" element is non existent and the game is so simple that it doesn't really engage or excite at only 2 players, if you are looking for something with a little bit of planning, strategy or competition in your two player game I don't think this hits the mark.

If you are looking for a VERY casual light weight light hearted game with an awesome mechanic, then this game rocks at 2 players.

As far as scaling with more players. The game is fast and has a set number of rounds you will play and can't get too long or drawn out, this also kind of hinders the game in the sense that, your dice don't really start cooking or doing their best until right before games end. The game is best at 4 players, allowing for the most back and forth and competition but still keeps the game light, fast, friendly and in the gateway games department.

I would personally say it is a fun casual experience at 4 players and a little less but still not bad at 3 players. But at only 2 players there are game aspects that never come up and the fun factor is significantly less. I will likely never play this again at only 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i am testing 2 house rules that are really nice and in reality dont chance the rules of the game. 1. use all pawns with 2 players put them in the 3-4 cards at the start and every round move them so 2 places are always full. this means bear is more usefull with 2 players. 2. instead of 2 same value and same monsters ,use 2 same value different ones so only 1 is available for each player ,that means more variety is in game and more strategy required and there is a race for some cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeran Delapp
United States
Castle Rock
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am a big fan of house rules, we have many at my house for many games. I am curious if your suggestion is for all player counts or just for at lower ones and I'm curious if they make the game more fun. Fun factor was a big deal for me in this one. It looks like a ton of fun and the theme seems so cool, but I feel like it just misses the mark and may be a future expansion could help to remedy that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Using all the cards can be done with all player numbers, anyway the game is expandable regarding the cards part so as far as i see, you can change the cards number and type in each value area as you see fit, to make the game more exciting because you must think what you need to take and you create a race factor in the gameplay more than in normal card laying rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.