Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kamil Łukasik
Poland
Lublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's my buy phase and I have the following cards in play:

Village, Smithy, Market, Copper, Silver, Gold.

Now I play Crown on a Horn of Plenty. During the first activation I can gain a card costing up to 8 (for Village, Smithy, Market, Copper, Silver, Gold, Crown and Horn of Plenty itself). I decide to gain a Province. I trash the Horn of Plenty.

What exactly happens during the second activation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
warlock000 wrote:

Now I play Crown on a Horn of Plenty. During the first activation I can gain a card costing up to 8 (for Village, Smithy, Market, Copper, Silver, Gold, Crown and Horn of Plenty itself). I decide to gain a Province. I trash the Horn of Plenty.

I'm no Dominion rules expert, so I stand to be corrected - but I think you can't get a second Province, and must settle for a card costing up to 7. This is because, when the HoP gets replayed, it is no longer "in play" (it doesn't get physically moved back to the play area), and therefore can't count for its own ability.

I guess the same question can come up via Counterfeit, so it's not really specific to Empires.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
warlock000 wrote:

You gain a card costing up to $7. Nothing stops Horn of Plenty from resolving despite not being in play, however when it counts your cards it's not there to count itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamil Łukasik
Poland
Lublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! That was my initial interpretation as well but I wanted to make sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
This is one of those places where the "lose track" rule still confuses me. )-8

OK. So you Crown a Horn of Plenty. You gain a Province, you trash Horn of Plenty. Second time round, you gain a Duchy.

Do you trash Horn of Plenty a second time, or has it lost track of itself? It matters for Tomb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
clivej wrote:
This is one of those places where the "lose track" rule still confuses me. )-8

OK. So you Crown a Horn of Plenty. You gain a Province, you trash Horn of Plenty. Second time round, you gain a Duchy.

Do you trash Horn of Plenty a second time, or has it lost track of itself? It matters for Tomb.

You fail to trash Horn of Plenty the second time.

"When you trash a card" only triggers when a card actually moves to the trash; a card in the trash moving to the trash wouldn't trigger that, even if it could happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
warlock000 wrote:

You gain a card costing up to $7. Nothing stops Horn of Plenty from resolving despite not being in play, however when it counts your cards it's not there to count itself.
You've already lost the HoP, so may as well "trash it again" and get another Victory card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.