Lords of Waterdeep» Forums » Variants

Subject: Missions with dice idea rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chris williams
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Wife and I have just discovered this game and we love it. I do miss the excitement and unpredictability of a good old fashioned dice roll however. We came up with the idea a variable outcome mission cards. When completing a mission you would roll a d6 and the reward would vary based on the roll. It could mimic D&D critical mechanics as well. A 6 could be a great outcome, 5-2 normal, and a 1 a failure with consequences. Not sure how to enact this yet, we are still toying with the idea. Any thoughts, ideas, or input to be had here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You should perhaps look at the way dice are used in Raiders of the North Sea to determine the reward from pillaging.

I prefer that to the way the randomness of the dice completely determine quest completion in Champions of Midgard, to the degree that you might completely fail a quest just because of the dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this concept a lot. The good old d20 roll is a staple of the D&D experience and could add a bit of additional theme to the game. Perhaps something of this sort:

1- Critical Miss- You retrieve the resources paid for the Quest and must wait until your next action to try again.

If the roll is less than the VP reward of the Quest- You receive 2 less VPs for completing it.

If the roll is greater than the VP reward of the Quest- You gain 2 additional VPs for completing it.

20- Critical Hit- Successfully complete the Quest and return the agent used for this action to your tavern.

This would admittedly tend to favor smaller VP quests and would add an unnecessary element (rolling a d20) to the game but could be fun for D&D veterans who simply miss the thrill of rolling for a Crit.

My 2 cents...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned above, just get Champions of Midgard if you want a worker placement with dice rolling.

Lords of Waterdeep works well with the certainty of being able to complete quests. To account for random dice rolls you would have to halve the adventurer requirements of every quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris williams
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I like this idea. Will try it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.