Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert R
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Does anyone have any recommendations on how to do this ?

Recommended glue
for gluing the acrylic overlay onto the paper/cardboard player mat? What about if I decide to laminate the player mat and then glue the acrylic overlay to the laminate?

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete S
United States
MACUNGIE
PA
flag msg tools
Check out my shop at BoardGameBoost.com!
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'd recommend getting some scrap acrylic and doing some tests before doing the real deal. Whatever glue you use you're going to see plainly through the clear acrylic, so just keep that in mind. I'd probably recommend something like superglue since it will be clear, but it will still look like a pool or blob at the glue points. The other thing I'd be nervous about is the acrylic just tearing off the player mat, since regardless of the glue you choose the entire adhesion will only be as strong as the paper it's glued to.

If you're open to it, I'd suggest maybe using clear packing tape to go around the edge from the top of the acrylic to the back of the player mat. If done with care it will likely be minimally visually impactful, and won't risk damaging the surface of the player mat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't use super glue! It'll cause the acrylic to frost...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Roberts
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From Make

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Superglue will not necessarily make your acrylic frost. The things that make acrylic frost are the same things that dissolve superglue. Mainly acetone, acetonitrile etc.

Acrylic can actually be bonded together using acetone or acetonitrile, as it dissolves the acrylic and when it dries it is re-polymerized. This is actually how some commercial acrylic pieces are fastened.

Yes, you will be able to see the glue though through the acrylic. I used a superglue gel on mine. It holds well, and there is no frosting/clouding of the acrylic. But you can see the small spots of glue which have dried, looks like a permanent drip on the player mat. I would suggest you carefully try to hide the glue spots in the artwork of the player mat, that way you will not see it.

Alternatively, you could try a 3M spray glue and hit the whole acrylic piece. But the solvents from the spray will likely cloud your acrylic piece, as noted. SO I would try a test piece. Plus, you'll not get a second chance to re-align it, if you choose this method.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert R
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It sounds like trial and error is the best way to go, then go with what seemed to give the best results.

So I played around with some plexi and a card that would have a similar texture to the player mat. I used Loctite Multi Purpose Spray Adhesive. Here are the results:

Top down view....looks great!

At an angle... this needs some work. Maybe spray on more glue, and apply MORE pressure?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Just sleeve them. They look pretty tough to me, not sure that is even necessary.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry C
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Found a perfect solution!

Check out your local craft/fabric store. I found an inexpensive "2-way" glue pen made by Kuretake" that can be either permanent or turn into a tack-glue so I can remove the attached sheet. Put a very small dot near each corner and one in the middle of the acrylic form and let it dry all the way - changes from blue to clear. Now it's permanently bonded to the acrylic but still provides a removal tacky surface for the mat.

Nice thing is I can safely remove the mat for cleaning or replacement and reattach it to the same tack-glue points with no regluing! Very cool and really can't even see the glue dots at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete S
United States
MACUNGIE
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
David Mcgamin

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just posted this pic and I thought I'd share it here since it seems relevant. He used glue dots to adhere the overlay (though it was to a laminated player mat). Slightly visible but not too bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mcgamin

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rcpete22 wrote:
David Mcgamin

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just posted this pic and I thought I'd share it here since it seems relevant. He used glue dots to adhere the overlay (though it was to a laminated player mat). Slightly visible but not too bad.

I'd just like to add that the glue dots are holding up just fine so far. I even store the box vertically and the overlays haven't slipped or come loose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Roberts
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I used a spray adhesive to put an even layer on my acrylic. Then lined up my printed card stock. Once they dried I cut the card to fit. I think they look pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.