Watson & Holmes» Forums » General

Subject: case 8, maybe spoilers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Louisville
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So first, our group loves this game and have enjoyed the challenge of each mystery. We have completed 4 mysteries so far, but not in order.

With that, can anyone verify if case 8 is just the worst? This was the first time that no one solved this completely, although the genius in the group did get 4/5 questions. Specifically question 3 is quite the stretch of how this would even begin to be deduced... Question 2, only 1 person answered that correctly...
For the first time, we had a game where everyone read all cards, and still had no idea and was circling back around. We laid out all the cards and still could barely see the thread of how it all connected.

I dont know, it was all a very boring narrative, and quite disjointed. It ended up being a very un-fun night, and I think now we are taking a break from this game.

So, in anyone's opinion, any case numbers worse than this one that we should avoid? Did anyone solve this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Wiese
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 6 cases so far but Case 8 hasn't been one of them. Unfortunately I can't speak directly about your concern but I will say I've found all the cases so far to be very well done. My group just did Case 12 which was the first time for us that a couple players visited every location (after a few of us answered wrong) and one guy was also circling back on some locations to verify things. The fourth guy who attempted to answer did get it correct. After it was over we all were initially perplexed (even the guy who answered correctly wasn't completely sure) but the more we talked about our thoughts and looked at the clues it really made more sense. Everyone missed things but everyone seemed to discover different important clues. The post-game discussion is one of the best parts of this game in a way. I'm not saying that the same thing happened for you guys...Case 8 might have some real flaws. Did you read the solution and did that help piece things together? I'll try to come back and give better thoughts on Case 8 once I've played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Sellars
Canada
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Yes!! Played case 8 last night it and came here today to discuss it. Easily the worst case so far. No one solved it, and we all felt that the case
Spoiler (click to reveal)
relied on knowledge of the timeframe too much. The writer of the case clearly believed that discovering a fossil was groundbreaking for that timeframe, but such a discovery in modern day would not be big deal at all. Without outside knowledge there's no way the player can know when archeologists first started finding prehuman fossils.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.