United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand, Luna does not come with a game 3 power, which doesn't seem like a dealbreaker based on what I've read here on the forums.

But aside from this hero, do any other cards integrate with the base game? In other words, can I use dark arts, creatures, or new spell, items, etc. with the game 1-7 adventures? Or does this expansion sit more like a standalone with the cards it comes with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Fletcher
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion plays best as a set of new games that start where game 7 of the base game ends. Mechanically, the expansion can be added in before game 7, but the absolute earliest you’d want to mix it in with the base game is probably game 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to Luna, there are alternate versions of the four main heroes in Box 1. You can use this in lieu of the year seven equivalents.

Some of the new cards are specifically designed to work with Creatures. So it wouldn't make sense to add the Hogwart's cards related to Creature abilities if you don't have any in your Villain stack. IMHO, most Creatures add more difficulty to the game than most Villains, so if you are happier playing at year 5, for example, you may not like the difficulty increase.

The Hogwarts cards that allow you purge items from your deck could be added, but IMHO the base game is easy enough without this mechanic as is. Personally I wouldn't add these cards to a base set game unless you also add the Dark Arts cards that force you to take detentions. There are a couple of creatures that make you take Detentions as well, so couldn't add those Creatures in if you aren't bringing the other mechanics that go with it.

I think it would be difficult to use the new Encounter cards because most of them link to new mechanics in the Monster Box.

There is a sort-of-new mechanic in Box 3 that could be used in the base game, but I can't be more specific without being super spoilery.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Box 3 includes Patronus cards. They replace Proficiencies (i.e. you can't have both a Patronus and a Proficiency) but each Patronus is keyed to a hero. So, for example, you can't use the Stag Patronus with Hermione (although nothing prevents you from house ruling otherwise). You could use Patronus cards in a Year 6 or Year 7 game, but not prior.

Box 4 gives you instructions on how to combined the Monster Box with the base game to create a "mega game." Really, once you have opened up all of the boxes, you could sandbox any kind of game you want to via selection of Villains and Encounters, but it would be hard to extract a specific mechanic from the game because most mechanics link in to Creatures, DA cards, and Encounters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.