Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter O'Connor
msg tools
mb
Kingdom of the Whistler
A Movement Faction.
Color: Sky-Blue
Set-Up: After all other factions, including Opener of the Way, have placed, place 6 acolytes and a gate in an area containing no symbols, including Glyphs. Then gain 8 power.
---Note: In games with WW, TT, and OofW, those factions must place their faction tokens in their starting area.
Unique Ability: Earworm (Ongoing): Whenever an enemy moves a unit out of an area where you have a unit as part of a move action, you may move 1 unit from that area for free after they have moved.

Acolytes (Cultist)(6): Cost 1, Combat 0
Listeners of Skoth (Monster)(4): Cost 1, Combat 0
Not-Cloud (Monster)(2): Cost 2, Combat 1
Winged Denizen (Monster)(2): Cost 3, Combat 2
Aurobna-Mal (Great Old One): Cost ?, Combat ?
-----To Awaken: Control a gate in an area containing 3 or more Listeners of Skoth. Pay 8 power, and place Aurobna-Mal in that area.
-----Combat: Equal to the total number of areas you have units in.
-----Unique Ability: That Which Soars Above (Post-Battle): Aurobna-Mal may retreat into enemy areas after a battle.

Spellbooks:
Dream Whistler (Ongoing): Whenever Aurobna-Mal moves into an area, via move action or retreating because of pain, containing enemy units, you may replace one of their units with a unit from your pool of equivalent cost.
Calls From Beyond (Pre-battle): If Aurobna-Mal is involved in a fight, you may move a unit you own for free. If it enters the battle area, it now also takes part in the battle, but you cannot use any pre-battle abilities associated with it.
Listen for the Signal (Doom): During the Doom phase, roll a die. If the number is less than the number of areas you have Listeners of Skoth in, gain an Elder Sign.
Eternal Drifters (Ongoing): After you perform an action, you may move a Not-Cloud for free.
Inhabitants (Gather Power): For each gate that you control that also has a Winged Denizen on it, gain +2 power.
Shrieking Noise (Ongoing): If an enemy performs a move action and moves a unit into or through an area you control, they must spend an additional 1 power.

Spellbook Requirements:
---Awaken Aurobna-Mal
---Move 3 units in a single move action.
---Move 6 units in a single move action. (You can gain this spellbook and the above spellbook if you move 9 units in a single move action)
---Have a unit in an enemy’s start area.
---Have units located in 6 areas with gates.
---As an action, select an enemy. They may take any cultist or monster you own and place them in any area. Then gain this spellbook.

Imagine worlds that you cannot get to by walking the waking world. Imagine stony paths littered with gravel and pebbles, winding around cliffs and mountains, hanging over indescribable forests and deserts and oceans. Imagine the whistling that slides through crevasses and trees, over lonely sands and waves, piercing through every peak. Imagine the Kingdom of the Whistler.

A place that you can’t get to normally, but a place that can come to you. A place whose only sound is that whistling tune, rising high and low and winding over and over, ever present. A sound of loneliness, reverberating in your soul.

But you aren’t alone. The Listeners are there, standing stock-still on peaks, their twisting, bare humanoid bodies ignorant of the cold but their dish-like heads turned to face the noise, and occasionally you.

And with the noise and the wind, the clouds drift by. Opaque clouds with holes that widen and close and pipe silently as they drift across the sky. They seem not to be interested, but those puffy Not-Clouds seem to have acrid tendrils of smoke drift down from them.

Another twist in this bizarre path takes you to a city, one form of smooth stalagmites piercing upwards. Each one is a hundred feet or easily more tall, more towering than any trees you know. With each one comes a myriad of holes, like tight windows and doors that the wind slides and swings through, its howl growing louder from these amplifying structures. Around the shrieking pits lie their Winged Denizens, long alien wings folded up tightly to their strange bodies.

And this world, this cacophonous world, is home to a thing, a great and ancient being of unrecorded power, whose name is whispered across the winds at times, no matter where; Aurobna-Mal. With a moth-like abdomen, a human torso, and a long stone spike for a head, it dwells in the sky and in the noise of this Kingdom, its long arms and strange hands catching it on peaks and cliffs. Its massive stone wings stretch, each one riddled with whistling holes, from its lower half, immobile yet billowing with unending noise, the noise that does not stop. The noise that drives you out. The noise that drives you awake. The noise that you cannot forget. The noise that you begin to whistle. And another one catches a snatch of your whistling, and is invited to the Kingdom of the Whistler.

---------

Yeah, okay, I have got to stop. This is my 6th homebrew faction. I may be actually learning something here, but no sane person could playtest all the drek I've shoved out.
...I just now realized that this is Cthulhu Wars.

Anyways, the concept with this faction was 'Movement', because there really wasn't a faction whose big thing was 'Movement'.

Now, this faction is mostly movement abilities, but nothing that makes your Move actions free or even cheaper. You just get to move some things for free at weird times, like before Battle, after somebody else moved, or after you do an action. It's not what I'd call broken. I hope. But it could either be totally ineffectual or actually quite borken.

The other stuff is pretty standard things. Gain more Doom spellbook with the really cheap units, Gain More Power spellbook using the expensive units, and annoy the enemies who try to move in on your turf spellbook.

But this faction isn't complete. I would ideally like some mechanic that gives you a good reason for moving. As it stands, this faction feels like jelly that just jiggles endlessly. Maybe unique tokens, like yellow Sign's or Atlach-Nacha's....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
How much does Aurobna-Mal cost to summon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O'Connor
msg tools
mb
C3Gaming wrote:
How much does Aurobna-Mal cost to summon?

8 power. I've fixed the post. Thanks for catching it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.