Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jared Schulz
United States
Hillsboro
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So this game is really hot in my groups. The trouble I'm having is how to play it when the group isn't the same. I don't want to go into arcade mode because I feel like that is best for once you have experienced the story. Tom V. mentioned early that he would just play it with anyone and have them take over characters in progress, I'm assuming in character mode, then often explain the back story while we was playing. Has anyone tried this? I just am not sure I'll get a consistent group to play it multiples times for a while but want to dig into the stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with varying groups. However, we keep the character we started - so in total, there won't be more than 8 players. We have 5 on the go at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
I play with varying groups. However, we keep the character we started - so in total, there won't be more than 8 players. We have 5 on the go at the moment.

Say the same group plays 4 games in a row, and then 2 of them cant play for the next game. If you add 2 new people in, and have them start their own character, wouldn't they be under-powered, playing new characters in the 5th game (while the other 2 players have a character who has progressed through 4 games, too)??

I havent played yet, but trying to figure out the best way to go about all of it seems super complicated. I bought this game on impulse because of Ryan Laukat and all the praise it had been getting. I havent gotten it to the table because now reading these forums, I am overwhelmed with where to begin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:
I havent gotten it to the table because now reading these forums, I am overwhelmed with where to begin.

While I love reading these forums, I would say the game should come first! Begin on the Above and Below map and play one unconnected game. Then you might want to play another unconnected game on another map, or start a campaign or character story - it doesn't matter. The small bonuses the characters can buy while they advance through their stories will not ruin newcomers' games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:
I havent gotten it to the table because now reading these forums, I am overwhelmed with where to begin.

While I love reading these forums, I would say the game should come first! Begin on the Above and Below map and play one unconnected game. Then you might want to play another unconnected game on another map, or start a campaign or character story - it doesn't matter. The small bonuses the characters can buy while they advance through their stories will not ruin newcomers' games.

The unconnected game, just means unconnected to the story, right? So would there just be no story in the unconnected game, is that where I see people talking about making up their own scenarios? So the only thing that "spoils" is playing on the map that youll have to play on during the campaign?

I've had the game in shrink for a couple weeks and just punched it last night. Doesnt seem like the easiest game to figure out, Ive never played Above and Below, and I want to know the game well before I teach it to the group, hence perusing the forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Schulz
United States
Hillsboro
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very much digging the idea of the unconnected game. If people get really into the story they can discuss with me about how to play the game more. Maybe I can figure out a way if I play it with some people who have played it a few times to go ahead and get them the ability to buy a couple abilities. I think I'm going to try it out next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenna Asplund
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to include new characters part way through a campaign, we recommend giving them about 1 XP per game they've missed and letting them purchase some talents so that their character can be on about the same level as everyone else's.

If you're playing with the same player count every time, you could also just let new players take over one of the characters that's been being used.

If you're trying to learn the game and you feel a bit overwhelmed, a great resource is the How to Play video by Rodney Smith. He provides a really thorough and easy to follow explanation for the game. https://youtu.be/nFiNJ07cgnA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.