Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » General

Subject: Build Generator - Rise of the Empire rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stan
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I noticed that one of the most time-consuming aspects of this game is building units so I programmed a build generator to help streamline the process - includes new units from the Rise of the Empire expansion!! The program saves me at least 30 minutes per game. As a Microsoft Excel Macro-Enabled file, I use it on a laptop nearby along with an online probe map. For our games, we have the Imperial player control the laptop so he uses the build generator along with the probe map. Please feel free to contact me with questions, and I'd appreciate any feedback on the build generator!

Link to file page below:
SWR Build Generator

Probe Map (best probe map out there IMO)
http://www.rebellionmap.com

The Rebellion Build Generator is now ONLINE
https://www.rebellionbuild.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Great idea,

Tried using the file on ipad in numbers app and didnt work.

Any ideas on getting this used on ipad?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Unfortunately, Macro-enabled Excel files don't work on Pages or even the iOS version of Excel (at least I haven't found a way). I use a Microsoft Surface so it's worked for me. Sadly, my programming skills are limited to VBA so I'd have to sit down and learn how to program apps for iOS - which is on my To-Do list!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What kind of logic does it use? I'm wondering if at least some of it couldn't be turned into formulas (thus becoming portable)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Herman92 wrote:
What kind of logic does it use? I'm wondering if at least some of it couldn't be turned into formulas (thus becoming portable)?

Basically, there are 2 different programs - 1 for Rebel and 1 for Imperials. The Rebel program is much simpler because the planet is either loyal or not.

In the rebel program, the player selects which planets are loyal. Each planet is linked to essentially counters assigned to units in each build queue. The result is calculated and displayed on the spreadsheet as shown in the screenshot. The Imperial program has to take subjugation into account when selecting planets, but the logic is essentially the same.

I wish I knew of an easy way to port it to make in more mobile, but I'll probably have to delve into new programming languages to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh wait - OK. I thought there already were apps for this out there? (But not supporting the expansion, of course.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Herman92 wrote:
Oh wait - OK. I thought there already were apps for this out there? (But not supporting the expansion, of course.)

Oh yeah, I'm sure there are many build generator variants. I used Microsoft Excel as it was the program I was the most familiar with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Lowecore wrote:
Great idea,

Tried using the file on ipad in numbers app and didnt work.

Any ideas on getting this used on ipad?

After about a month of research, the answer is yes, I found a way! I ported the code from my original Microsoft Excel Build Generator, and after learning multiple programming languages and a crash course in web design and development, I'm happy to present the Star Wars: Rebellion Build Generator Web App: http://www.rebellionbuild.com!

As the program is now online, it's compatible with all computers, tablets, and mobile devices. I'd appreciate any feedback on the web app. I hope you all enjoy!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Stanza987 wrote:
Star Wars: Rebellion Build Generator Web App: http://www.rebellionbuild.com

The build generator has just been updated with a new and improved user interface! Instead of using drop-down menus for each planet, you can simply click/tap on the desired loyalty of each planet on the home screen (double-tap if using the Safari browser on iPad/iPhone) and then click/tap the build button. Of course, the web app has the same dependable functionality, but now with a modern look and feel. Enjoy the new upgrade!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another behind-the-scenes update: RebellionBuild web app deployment has been upgraded to use caching technology! Most users in the United States will not notice a big difference, but web page load times should now be significantly decreased for non-US countries!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.