Hide
3 Posts

Nemo's War (second edition)» Forums » Reviews

Subject: I'm sinking – this is a game with a depth to it rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joakim Tarnstrom
msg tools
This won't be as much a review as an opinion after having played this game for about five times – and also being a relative newcomer to the hobby. I wouldn't say the rules are complex but you have to learn by experience. Everything is in the rulebook but it's a bit spread out over the pages. If you will, you can say that the rulebook reflects the gaming experience. There are quite a few nuances to keep track of and in the beginning it is easy to play a game and find yourself having forgotten some more or less important rule mid-game which makes you start all over again.

But the more I have been playing the game, the more it all starts to gel and I am now at the point where I can start to appreciate what the game is about, which is not all that obvious the first couple of times you play the game. Of course, victory conditions are stated and it's all about collecting points through searching for treasures, sinking ships, experience adventures and so on, all depending on what motivates captain Nemo.

Strangely enough, you can have a pretty good journey going but it may not reflect on the main map which always get cluttered with ships, civil ones and military ones regardless if you are winning or not, so it takes some time too really get the feeling for where everything is going. In an ordinary wargame, you can judge by the enemy positions and eliminated troops, if you are losing or winning. It's not quite like that in this game. But once again, this is something that grows on you, and soon you will grow a feeling, a sense of what's going on, and that is where this game shines for me – it's about the subtle nuances, the constant decision making where small things might seem less important than they are in the long run. Once you start realise that the process of the journey becomes a much more thoughtful and rewarding excercise.

It's very hard to work out a strategy in this game, there are so many different ways you can go and it is easy to get the feeling that you are just going through the motions but without direction. But once you do reach that level of confidence that you can start making sense of it all, then it becomes a real challenge. And although there is an element of randomness, I never feel like I'm a victim of it.

This game comes with a strong recommendation for anyone who is looking for a tough solo challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bueschel
United States
Huntley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the game and played a couple of times and really enjoyed it. I was at Gen Con this past weekend and was able to get an event ticket. Found out I must have skipped or forgot a couple of rules (which actually makes the game harder) Can't wait to see how bad I really am. Really digging this game. Probably more than I should
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Tarnstrom
msg tools
The more I play, the less I find myself slipping up with regards to the rules. It's quite a lot to keep in mind, but it starts flowing after a couple of rounds. I got in another session last night... Played the anti-imperialist motive this time, which gave me a different experience. Thought I was doing good, wiping ships off the board to the left and right but my points total wasn't more than 219 in the end. Probably played it too safe. Started by searching for some treasures, those x for rerolls are nice to have. Worked up some tremendous incite bonuses using the +1 drm from the hull, +2 for sunken treasure, and +1 for the Arcane Library upgrade. With a total of +6 for every initial incitement I was able to fill the board with ten cubes. Also had the strengthened prow which in combination with the double hull made it quite easy to take on warships. I guess I have to give it another go tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.