Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Ticer
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Perry,
After a more careful reading of the rules it would appear that once a unit starts to take combat losses (For that battle)you can not switch to another unit to take losses until the first unit has been eliminated (SCU or LCU) and if a LCU is chosen to take losses if a SCU replaces the LCU that it must continue the loss process until eliminated before a different unit can be used to satisfy the Battle losses. Is this true?

If so, who decides on which unit (attacker or defender) first is chosen to start this loss process (attacker or defender)?

Greg Ticer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Silverman
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
See this clarification of Rule 12.6.2a:

If the Loss Number is equal to or greater than the smallest Loss Factor (LF) among the units taking fire, then the units taking fire must absorb all the damage indicated by Loss Number. The unit with the smallest LF must be the first unit to absorb damage, and must try to absorb the entire LN. If that unit is destroyed or permanently eliminated, the next unit with the smallest LF must try to absorb the entire LN. If there is more than one unit with the same LF, the player whose units are taking fire decides which of those units will absorb damage first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Knoyle
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Directly from the errata on the GMT homepage.

12.6.2a

a. If the Loss Number is equal to or greater than the smallest Loss Factor (LF) among the units taking fire, then the units taking fire must absorb all the damage indicated by Loss Number. The unit with the smallest LF does not have to be the first unit to absorb damage. The player whose units are taking fire decides which of those units will first absorb the damage. That unit must try to absorb the entire LN.

This is in direct conflict to how you just answered Perry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Silverman
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave, this is the direction in which we're heading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Knoyle
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I am not disagreeing with you. I am just saying that typically the first place people look for errata is the publishers website and it says something completely different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Ticer
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Perry, again thank you for your prompt response. I am set to play IOG this coming Thursday and I want to play the game the way the designer intended. The English language can be so frustrating. So to summarize, SCUs will most likely be the first units to absorb the damage. No spreading your losses around like in POG, etc.

One more question:
It would appear from my observation that breaking some of your LCUs down into SCUs (depleting the Reserve Box) so that no SCUs remain in that box translates into no LCUs ever being permanently eliminated from LFs damage. Is this correct? Also, If a LCU starts flipped and is then eliminated along with the SCU that the LCU would not be Permanently eliminated, because it did not start the battle at full strenght. Correct?

Greg Ticer
Perry, Do you remember me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Silverman
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Greg, I do remember. modest

In the IoG Living Rules booklet, coming out later this month, Rule 12.6.2a will say "If the Loss Number is equal to or greater than the smallest Loss Factor (LF) among the units taking fire, then the units taking fire must try to absorb all the damage indicated by Loss Number. First, the unit with the smallest LN must try to absorb the entire LN. If it is destroyed, the next unit with the smallest LN must try to absorb the entire LN. If two units have the same LN, the player whose units are taking fire decides which of those unitswill absorb the damage."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Silverman
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Greg, you asked:

1. It would appear from my observation that breaking some of your LCUs down into SCUs (depleting the Reserve Box) so that no SCUs remain in that box translates into no LCUs ever being permanently eliminated from LFs damage. Is this correct? YES.

2. Also, If a LCU starts flipped and is then eliminated along with the SCU that the LCU would not be Permanently eliminated, because it did not start the battle at full strength. NO, the LCU is permanently eliminated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Silverman
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I will address both of these issues in the full IoG Living Rules booklet coming out later this month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.